I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

2 hours ago, Anachronist58 said:

Jellyfish Whisperer.

I whispered, and thankfully it didn't respond. :rolleyes:

I've been keeping away from estate sales and auctions myself. If I can make some room, and catch up with some of what I have, I might start looking again. Till then work time is more important than hunting/gathering. 

• Replies 26.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Daswulf

• Frosty

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

38 minutes ago, CheechWizard said:

yo frosty, you know of any good scrap yards in portland area?

I'll have to think about it, we moved out of Portland Ore. in '56. Wait, is that a trick question? Personally I think all scrap yards are good, even the ones that won't let you buy.  Yes, all of them.

Sounds like a nice day pnut, what you planning on?

Frosty The Lucky.

Monday was 65*F, Monday night 28*F and 1-1/2 inches of snow, Tuesday is 31*F and Tuesday night is 15*F.  We are on the southern edge of the NE US is getting a taste of winter.

Time to put another log on the fire, get a cup of warm liquid, and catch up on reading the site.

Got the inside hatch for the swamp cooler constructed just in time; we've had some frost lately---unusual for this area as we don't usually get dew. Anyway now our thermonuclear house heat isn't going up the swampcooler duct.  Soon we will have to raise the shades on the lower windows as well.

Looks like I may have some folks over to the shop to forge this Saturday.

My horseshoe doorstop is working well; on the next one I'll make the downturn a bit less to get more wedging action in

1592208074_horseshoedoorstop(2).jpg.63d6616a2e5a60667ec7c6d78d23d658.jpg

I like to sneak in a bit of smithery into my office. Next is to make a couple of coathooks; probably out of RR spikes, sigh.

23 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

My horseshoe doorstop is working well; on the next one I'll make the downturn a bit less to get more wedging action in

I like to sneak in a bit of smithery into my office. Next is to make a couple of coathooks; probably out of RR spikes, sigh.

It's hard to sneak smithery into an office environment!  I make these little cubicle hooks (on the right) that fit over the top of the little maze walls at work, which are thankfully the same thickness as a standard 2x4!

Hook on the left a dog paw hook for the pooches leash. Made a LOT of these once all the dog people saw them.

CubicleHook.JPG

I stopped by the local steel supplier for some pieces to finish up a project. I got some 3/4" square HR to be the upright portion of a stand for fireplace tools and put a nice taper on the end at the forge (pics to follow tomorrow, hopefully) and a piece of 1.5" square bar that will become the base. A friend at work is going to split both ends of it for me with his bandsaw and drill a 3/4" hole in it. I should have a little of that 3/4" bar left over... think I could drift that round hole square? Or would I be better off with filing it to shape?

Back 2 jobs ago I made dragon headed cube hooks out of 1/2" sq as we had very nice 7' wall cubes with doors!  Anyway when you walked down the aisle to my office there was a number of these dragon heads looking down on you, each one different.   Down in Mexico with the short cubes I made a bunch out of old landscape timber nails, found them at the scrapyard nice and rusty. I ended up make (and selling) 27 of them as we had no coat hooks or computer bag storage.  Some folks bought several! 

I have a piece of metal I bend around---less smoky.  I fact I have an 8' tall steel cabinet with shelves filled with odds and ends to use when forming metal.