Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You have to love some of the old laws. 

Apparently in the UK it is still legal to shoot a Welsh man as long as you are inside the walled city of Chester (Welsh man is old English for foreigner so be careful where you visit) 

It's also still in the law books that every man in England has to archery practice once a week and the church has to provide the area to do it. 

California has some interetesting ones too, like "sunshine is guaranteed to the masses", "it is illegal to set a mouse trap without a hunting license", due to the name of the company "The Texas instruments TI-82,TI-83,TI-83 ,TI-86, and TI-89 were all banished from California. If caught with one, 4 weeks of prison is assigned."  

Those are for the whole state, but it get better for individual cities. Like in Chico it is illegal to detonate a nuclear devise in the city limits, resulting in a $500 fine. In Blythe it is illegal to wear cowboy boots unless you own at least 2 cows. In Hollywood it is illegal to drive more than 2000 sheep down Hollywood Blvd.

As for what I did in the shop yesterday, I started to rework a mounted cobropener I scrapped a month ago. I had ended up punching through the tab, so I'm filing that away and will put a new tab on the head side. Also made it straighter so it sits above and out from the counter it'll be mounted to.

IMG_20191031_153744823.thumb.jpg.7c7a9e3414f5c50e1c0f1e9beebe458e.jpg

IMG_20191031_153944879.thumb.jpg.9108684dfc6431735f124f75c60b907f.jpg

also worked on forge welding practice, no pic, but it stuck.

Gonna be SOME window! :D

~~~

Roof job.

mwgHWBR.jpg

I tore down the rotten half where the steel tubes are now, but termites got into the grey side also. I spent one full summer raising that grey, shed roof. Sad to say I gotta remove all of it I'm afraid. Getting close to the rainy...but I need to protect my forge tools, and the garage is no place for me to play with fire.

On 11/6/2019 at 4:01 PM, jlpservicesinc said:

Frosty, just today?????

No, it would've been cir. '81-'83.

Having grown up in Cal. I feel I can safely talk about how . . . Nevermind, rules you  know, some of the laws are and they keep trying to out do the old days.

While Oregon isn't far behind Cal for silly stuff, I believe they passed one weird sounding law with excellent reason. No dynamiting whales on public beaches!

https://www.wweek.com/culture/2016/09/06/there-is-now-better-footage-of-that-time-oregon-blew-up-a-whale-with-dynamite/

Frosty The Lucky.

There are several "exploding whale compilations" on youtube that generally show whales that explode from decomposition gasses.  Some of them are major FAILS!  Luckily videos do not transmit smells...

TD we have a lot of stuff that damages wood out here so when I did my shop, the first 1/2 has no wood whatsoever and the second has telephone poles and pressure treated lumber.  I'd rather pay more up front and never have to mess with it again.

Finished up a jellyfish commission last night. 

Body is a dished out 5" saw blade with another 4" dished on the underside. Two "slices" of motor stator winding thingys on top. Larger tentacles are each 3 auger bits in decending sizes cut and welded together, and small tentacles are stretched out springs.

20191108_010615.thumb.jpg.6a769c99cbf3edb26461222af66dde4f.jpg

20191108_010623.thumb.jpg.7dccdd357f63eeed5d7e699503af2ec6.jpg

Haha, not this one Thomas

Thanks John.

Might be making more of these. Some bigger maybe. This one is going on someones desk so I tried to keep is smallish. Might still be on the big side for that. :rolleyes:

Have some old mine dynamite drills that would make good large tentacles. 

I really like it Das, very cool.

Desk top jelly taser Thomas? Perfect for the complaint department.

I like the desk lamp idea, I thought of it on first sight too. Maybe a nice tinkly wind chime? Lots of potentials in this one.

Frosty The Lucky.

Not in MY shop, but at the industrial arts non profit where I volunteer once a week, bent up some 2 inch square that had been octagon'd on the Nazel.

Backstory, the teaching arm of the shop has run into issues of smaller people, kids, etc having problems either swinging a big enough hammer or being strong enough to control stock under the power hammer (a Nazel, and couple of Anyang's and a 100 lb LG). The solution, Fly Presses!

The shop foreman got a deal on 3 of fly presses as they are missing the top bar and weights. Rather than reconstruct the OEM head knockers, the plan is to fabricate flywheels to mount on the top of the screw. We punched and drifted the octagonal socket in the middle cross bar and last night bent 4 sections of the outer rim of the first flywheel on a 50 ton "air over hydraulic" Dake Press.  I was mostly hauling the sections out of the forge and holding the tongs as the foreman ran the press and I moved the stock across the bending block. The parts will all be welded up into the flywheel that will weigh about 200 pounds and the chain hoist and jib crane will lift it onto the top of the screw, once the stands for the presses are built and bolted down. 

This was the fun volunteer part after a couple hours busting up coke for this weekends forgewelding class. Quarters1.jpg.a4aaf7c76d5feed265a25a3b7f972992.jpgQuarters2.jpg.68faaafc8ce31e0be27219308a3b913c.jpgQuarters3.jpg.d5ca6cd561d19aa20d62d95f8ee81d04.jpgQuarters4.jpg.721ad51a1ea371ce38a484075c85597c.jpg