• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Daswulf

• Frosty

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So do most smiths tell bad jokes and shaggy dog stories when at the forge?

I've always blamed it on Demos where as soon as I strike the first match there is a crowd *waiting* for you to do something.  Or you need to soak a piece between hamming and everyone is just staring at you....so the "Bad Stand Up Comedy Smith" is born.

Aus, nice dragonflies. I never heat color mine so I don't have any info for that on the butterknives. 

CGL, nice work on the heart and horseshoe hook. Good use for halves. 

Billy, I agree with others to just leave it. Whatever you do will change the patina and not match the rest, so either way you'd have a mark so to speak. 

Been a while since I posted anything, but I just finished a fun project...

So, I’m going to a trade-school to become certified in MIG, stick, and TIG welding, and I had some extra time on my hands.  Every now and then we have groups from different high schools come out to tour the campus, and when they come through the welding shop, the tour tends to be pretty boring with very little interest from any of the students.  Well, I got to talking with the instructor and asked him if I could make something for the school to show to tour groups that represents the possibilities of what you can do with welding, and he said “sure”.  

Took a few days to make, but I’m really happy with how it turned out.  Maybe it will inspire a couple kids to learn welding. :)

BCDE86CC-AC8E-47C8-A595-9FF95C761D70.jpeg

BBCCAE35-5D7E-4B96-9AEA-B7F59DF0AAE2.jpeg

Alexandr  Amazing work as always!!

Ausfire, Alexandre and C-1, great work. Alex, I live in an area known for gas lanterns, but your lights put them to shame. I know yours are electric, but there are several here that use the gas style for electric and they are plain Corner store stuff compared to yours. 

Not anymore. We had two. A compact size Ford tractor that didn't run. Needed some cash so we sold it. Then bought an old Massey Ferguson. Tommies dad started using it around his place. He loved it so much we gave it to him. His wife says it's his girlfriend. But he has more of a need for it than we do. He has a lot more land. My little cub cadet suffices for right now. 

CGL: I think the S hook is very nice, well done. I like the hearts too. Hearts have so much room for variety they keep getting better. Not going to do any welding? I submit this for your consideration. Arrange and stack 5 matched S hooks spread like spokes. Forge weld them at the center then twist and bend the hook ends in the same direction. It screws flat onto a ceiling with the hooks downwards as hangers. Hmmmm? 

C-1 That sure looks like a welding shop project. Sometimes there isn't much to do and you can't go anywhere. In school there was a guy who did most of his tig practice making weld bead figurines. Stainless figurines looked like they were made from lightly browned butter. The TI looked like electric rainbows. 

I'd comment on the ax John but I don't watch zombie anythings so I don't have the experience. Well . . . Uh . . . .Er. . . . Eh hem. I DID watch S1-E1 of a British TV comedy called Zomboat. No axes though. I don't know if I'll watch past E5 though, it's sometimes amusing but . . . 

Frosty The Lucky.

I've neither read the book nor seen the movie (although I gather it  doesn't appear in the movie anyway), but my cousin provided me with the source text:

Sinclair points above my head to the opposite wall. On it hangs a heavy steel rod ending in what looks like a fusion of shovel and double-bladed battle-ax. It's official designation is the Standard Infantry Entrenching Tool, although, to most, it is known as either the "Lobotomizer," or simply, the "Lobo." 

I combined the forward-facing curve of a Shaolin Monk's Spade with the basic shape of a pair of bearded axes, and voila! Even though it's only for display, I gave it a fair amount of thought, adding the loop to act as a pommel, a way to hang it, and to counterbalance the weight of the blade. The balance point is about even with the points of the beards, so it's quite nimble for its weight.