Jump to content
I Forge Iron


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Frosty

  1. I've been burned by beginners almost more often than by myself. Keeps me alert. Frosty The Lucky.
  2. Frosty

    Burners 101

    Probably competition, maybe advances in manufacture. I've just noticed carbide tools have become cheaper over the years. Frosty The Lucky.
  3. John: I could feel your wife's eyes roll up and down my back. I think you should send Anvil something nice for that straight line. I've owned and used Stihl chainsaws for close to 50 years. Hard to beat them. Frosty The Lucky.
  4. Frosty


    Good news! You are all still on the list. Happily I'm starting to be able to pray for a speedy recovery. Frosty The Lucky.
  5. Okay I get the scale but do you REALLY think its a good idea to give a Sasquatch that big a blade? Frosty The Lucky.
  6. Got the picture, it couldn't go any other direction. Frosty The Lucky.
  7. Are you trying to throw us a kerf ball Thomas? What exactly is a "traditional" argument? Frosty The Lucky.
  8. Now I'm going to have to ask Tommie for a pic of your upper thigh Chellie. Cauterizing temp is a little high for a soldering copper isn't it? Might work to solder wounds though. Hmmmm. I wonder if solder is antiseptic. Frosty The Lucky.
  9. Frosty

    Burners 101

    Carbides and diamonds have become much cheaper to produce too. Frosty The Lucky.
  10. Oh yeah, the cryptobatics get . . . interesting every time the guys who own the OS decide to Up(?)date it. Then we all get to do some learning curve climbing. We used to run lakers at El. Mirage Dry lake. High school friends and I put together a "racer" though didn't have the money or expertise to put together a streamliner. El Mirage is a tune up dry lake for Bonneville racers. It was also an alternate landing . . . lake for experimental aircraft including the SST and space shuttle. It's a wonderful place to see how fast your car really is, got my 62 Vette up to 135 once. Second time I turned the wheel and hit the emergency brake. Turns out spinning a car at that speed wasn't really much fun. Didn't barf in my car though so it wasn't a total bust. We even got chased off the lake a couple times when they were testing aircraft. Frosty The Lucky.
  11. Buck up John you'll get through it. Frosty The Lucky.
  12. Stitches, HAH. Get out the stapler, you'll be good to go as soon as . . . Frosty The Lucky.
  13. Once AGAIN it was overcast for the Perseid meteor shower here. Seems every time something good is predicted it clouds up. Friends and II used to lay on our sleeping bags in the Mojave watching the Milky Way, stars and meteors. Frosty The Lucky.
  14. I HOPE I can assume you aren't talking about the morning after drinking a glass of tap water in Mexico! Frosty The Lucky.
  15. I've never seen a hammer face chip but I try real hard not to hit hard steel with a hammer. Agreed, denim doesn't stop chips. Ear protection is a good thing for sure, I wear muffs with AM FM and a patch cord so I can listen to audio books in the shop. I don't listen to entertainment if I'm not alone in the shop. Frosty The Lucky.
  16. Great, ANOTHER circular discussion! Frosty The Lucky.
  17. Are they laying down or standing? Chainsaw? . . . What could go wrong? Frosty The Lucky.
  18. Welcome aboard Canton, glad to have you. . . . Ditto Thomas, tell us about yourself, like puns? Frosty The Lucky.
  19. That's a really nice trivet Justin, well done. Frosty The Lucky.
  20. It just feels new and it's not a factory handle. Once you get used to it and tweaked to your liking you'll be replacing your other hammer handles. Frosty The Lucky.
  21. Blacksmithing is A thing I do, only one of the metal working crafts I have practiced. I've never lost a student for being honest with him/er. I've demonstrated different: periods, locations, jobs, etc. many times. Pick a period, location and profession and with a little research & practice I can do a fair imitation of the method and manner. When asked if I was a traditional smith, I have never once said yes. I have had the questioner walk away some time later with a much better grasp of what blacksmiths really were from the discovery of copper to today's high tech computerized forging operations. Frosty The Lucky.
  22. If you'll put your general location in the header we won't have to bug you about your location and you'll lose out on opportunities: tools, materials, get togethers, etc. because folk won't know to let you know. Telling us once in a post isn't going to stick in anybody's memory once we open another post. Frosty The Lucky.
  23. Using angle iron as described will work nicely to hold the anvil. However, if you put longer lumber around it as Thomas describes the room between the feet on each side of the anvil become handy shelves for commonly used hand tools. I keep my hardy on the far side of my anvil in a similar space. Frosty The Lucky.
  • Create New...