• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Probably best to talk with the public works department; or contact a manufacturer  of them.  This is something I would not suggest picking up at a scrapyard as they may very well be stolen property. I was thinking of how to find a round disk of heavy material to use as a flywheel on a screwpress.  Casting a steel Ag wheel in concrete also came to mine.  The flywheel on my Hopkins #2 is 42" across IIRC and is a cast iron toroid.

I'm taking a new student out to the local scrapyard tomorrow to try to locate an improvised anvil for him.

Take this with a huge grain of salt, but just recently was talking with someone I work with about a manhole cover he worked on. Said they were manufactured with something like portland in the metal? And can't really be drilled. He said he had to use cutting rods with the stick welder to burn a hole. Could be way wrong and I have no first hand knowledge. I'd be curious about any truth to that, or if it's false myself. 

I’m not sure a man hole cover or weight lifting plates would be the best fit. I would think rotational inertia is what you want now just mass. Double the effective radius, quadruple the effect. Both items would have a relatively small radius, but heavy to work with. 

Michael’s design of a heavy ring with a large diameter looks very efficient to me.

David

A kid i went to school with got his, well, you know, stuck in one of those little holes in a man hole cover. The fire department had to come get him out. 

Some one went through down town Dayton once and stole  bunch of manhole covers, imagine that surprise driving to work that morning. 

I think that scrapyards around here will not take them with out some sort of paper work showing ownership, kind of like scrapping a car you have to have the title. 

Das, those are some really cool jelly fish there. 

Thanks Billy, just a couple pictures of the same one. 

Thomas, I'll have to ask him again and see. Then look to see what I can find out. Can't tell you how many times crazy stuff he said turns out to be correct but i have no clue on this one. We were talking about cutting rods he gave me a pack of when he talked about the manhole cover. 

On 11/8/2019 at 9:22 AM, Daswulf said:

Love the lamp idea, and the chime idea as well. Hmm. They have those touch-lamp switches. Wonder if that would work on one of these. 

Oooh, the touch lamp switch idea is PERFECT! When someone touches the, "DO NOT touch." jelly fish the, "I TOLD you not to touch!" neon sign lights up, maybe with recorded laughter like the Joker. A siren might be a bit over the top but maybe not.

Frosty The Lucky.

Very nice. 

I’m having some back trouble, so I just did a bit of machinery maintenance: put new tires on the horizontal bandsaw and added casters to the base of my grinder. 

6993DEF1-F43A-4A14-A13E-06999BC8272D.jpeg

This’ll make it easier to set up and take down my shop, since I’ve exceeded how much space I can take up in the garage without moving things out of the way before forging. 

On 11/8/2019 at 12:09 PM, Michael said:

flywheel that will weigh about 200 pounds

Wow. That is a lot of flywheel.

Do you know the tonnage on those presses? My 5 ton has a 26" diameter wheel - never tried to lift it - time to wheel it under the steelyard and see what it weighs.

On 11/8/2019 at 7:52 AM, Daswulf said:

Finished up a jellyfish commission last night. 

Jellyfish Whisperer.

22 hours ago, alexandr said:

Finished another project. Bedroom furniture.

More Amazing work, alexandr.

Good work, All.

Robert Taylor

Edited by Anachronist58
Post Assembly

I am under a self-imposed estate sale ban - I have yet to disposition the loot from 2017......

Need/want 5/16" wire rope?

Helped me to lay down about 3,000# of mulberry tree......

20191111_112925.jpg

20191111_114738.jpg

Wow 671 - thanks for the heads-up.

Robert Taylor

Edited by Anachronist58
Post Assembly