I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

I've been forced to break from the roof job onnacounta it's raining today. I tarped the thing over for now. It's a much improved use of the footprint space by vaulting the finished height.

It all stayed dry underneath, but taking the tarp on and off this season will get old fast. Roof work in weather seasons ain't the bees knees.

• Replies 26.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Historically some brooches did have extremely long pins---look at the original "Tara Brooch" for an example. (There has been some discussion as to if it was to weaponize them...)

For people who are now using a coarse weave cloth with their penannular brooch, I suggest they make button holes for it...

18 hours ago, Jim Coke said:

Get a metal bucket for your slack tub . One miss and it will leak.

Speaking of leaks, what I did in the shop was miss the 'dragon poop"  bucket after pulling out a big clinker from the fire, dropped in in the metal slack bucket by mistake.  'OK, fine, it can cool off in there and I'll fish it out in a minute".   in a minute I see the slow spread of water around the slack bucket, that clinker held enough heat to burn a few pinholes in the bottom.  I liked that slack, oval mop bucket.  Hunting for a new one.

BGD, For loose knit material, it can be run through. For thicker, you'd weave over it.  I suppose it would be up to the user though. I've been making mine with a slender pin , but matching the scale of the big piece. Forge as smooth as possible and then run a file over it to make sure there's no sharp places to snag on anything. I've been making them so I took the liberty of answering. Sorry if you were asking a specific person about it 

Finally got to do a bit of forging today 

made my self a one peace handled punch.  Was a fun project.  Hopefully get a chance to play with it tomorrow and if it works well I’ll make one from some coil spring. This one is unknown steel. Hard to move with the hammer so it may hold up.  No heat treat

AC1C1671-FF91-4798-8E36-01C9A6DCD08C.jpeg

Klatch, i use what i call my ugly tongs. Made them a while back ago. Basically flat jaw with just a slight curved opening. Almost an eye ball shape but real narrow. 

Since it seems a trend i made a brooch while the forge was getting hot. My mom makes button holes to put them through. The girl i sell them to does the same for what she makes unless she makes it to "period". She uses coarse fabric then. I also started grinding 2 knives i am making. This is why i "thought" i wanted to make knives. I hate the grinding. The one on the right is a kitchen knife for my mom. O-1 steel thin and light. The one on the left is for my dad. 452 layers of O-1, 1065, and some unknown mild steel. Drilled holes in it to get that raindrop pattern i see on that TV show. (ok i admit it is one of my guilty pleasures) Hope it turns out. I also started a wrap eye hawk for a good friend of mine. Not pictured though, still pretty ugly. 

20191121_200308.thumb.jpg.6c7383889b4cb151554e7b4f58148b85.jpg

3 hours ago, Jasent said:

if it works well I’ll make one from some coil spring.

If it transfer's too much vibration through the handle and you don't like wood handled punches there's always a rodded handle from 1/4 in. round. 

Pnut

the smaller end is used to cleaning out nail holes when they fill with dirt.  They are also used for back punching a nail hole if the hoof wall is thinner or thicker as the nail needs to be driven only in at the white line.  Back punching is a shearing action where with the shoe cold a nib is taken off the inside or outside web of the shoe so the nails spacing can be changed in relation to outer or inner. 

Thanks. It's been so long since I've been around a farrier working. I used to assist the photographer at a few racetracks in the mid 90's and I don't think I've seen a farrier at work since then. I do remember that it seems like the farriers on the backside of the track had different names for a lot of things compared to farriers that worked on farms and with the public. I seem to remember them correcting me once when I called a shoe a shoe. I was told it was called a plate. I've never heard that anywhere else but at tracks. I can't remember any others off the top of my head but there was probably more.

Pnut

Loaded up 3 anvil stands and the Y1K anvil(s) set up last night, Also most of the pipes for the conduit shade shelter as I'm heading out early tomorrow to teach and will be loading tools and materials in tonight. (While I worry about parking my anvils and tools on the campus during my work day; I rather "Pity da fool' that messes with the stumps---including myself.)

I hope to try out the solar light chandelier this evening. it holds 6-9 of the cheap solar lights...I put out 6 to charge up and hope I can do my loading by them.

Finished up my hammer eye punch today ( both drift and punch are H13)

tested out my handled punch and then made a new one from coil spring.  Handle was from a shop broom handle that broke last year at work.  Cut down the middle for instant scales

C9E47A4D-6332-45C2-BE5B-38C031425FD8.jpeg

ECA89988-6AA2-452D-BCDD-C96282398AA8.jpeg

Thomas, do you have to take a forge or forges with you also or is there something already there to use?

Jasent, nice tools. I like recycling things like you did with the broom handle. Or repurposing as everybody says now. My son brings home things like broken handles from his work. The last one was a plastic one from a big squeegee though. Anyway, good work! 

Propane forge,  only thing there is a concrete pad. (UGH)  Luckily it's a restricted class (6 people 1 specific project) so a lot fewer tools needed!  I like to have a max of 2 people per anvil and if possible everyone having their own tools. (Which is harder as I don't tend to build up a lot of duplicate tools...)