I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

19 hours ago, Pzkw108 said:

Today I joined I forge iron !!!!

Welcome aboard... I always suggest reading this for helpful tips like editing your profile to show your location. READ THIS FIRST  A good result with your first forge weld is great, took me a lot of tries to get it right.

• Replies 26.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

Welcome aboard... I always suggest reading this for helpful tips like editing your profile to show your location. READ THIS FIRST  A good result with your first forge weld is great, took me a lot of tries to get it right.

Thanks

I'm a professional welder.... It might have help a bit. lol

Thanks for the link !

Conrad; From a good friend of mine: "There are no mistakes in blacksmithing; there are just mid-project design changes!"

of course there is also:  "One man's trash is another man's treasure; but Terry's trash is NO man's treasure!" 

I have a bucket for things that go back to the scrapyard, unseen by others, in the dead of night...

Thomas, that is a very true statement about mid project design changes. I do that quite often ;) I got rid of a bucket full of not so great projects here awhile back to fund more material. 

Today's work. I hope y'all don't get tired of looking at basically the same thing over and over. I'm just working on things towards perfecting them. My second pennanular brooch. It's not as round as I thought it was in the shop. But it'll do. The new 100 lb. tank is great. Cut my forging time in half. 

20191119_145427.jpg

Took BillyBones advice and made the pin into a P shape

CGL, in my opinion those small imperfections make them look more authentic and rustic. Also who is to say that maybe it was perfect until you had to fight off a horde of viking invaders with your sheleighleigh and it got a little distorted when it blocked a vicious blow from a war hammer? ;)

Thanks Randy and pnut. I have taken to using a block of wood to turn things so I don't get any flats. It's literally a long block of wood and not terribly accurate. I need to make a mallet or get a rawhide mallet I think. Plus I'm OCD...:rolleyes:

Griffin - Gryphon. I had to think about that. I wonder if that's where you're last name is derived from? That would be pretty cool if it was. 

bobasaurus, that's a really good idea. Nice :D

Improvised Mallets: Baseball bats, croquet mallets, piece of firewood with limb off to the side.  I used to turn firewood on my woodlathe and drill a couple of holes and chisel between them to use a handle in it.  After I was given some rawhide mallets I generally use them.  It was kind of fun flattening rasptle snakes under my screwpress wising a scrap piece of 2x6.  Real nice burnt in pattern...

2 hours ago, pnut said:

I second the opinion posted by Mr Griffin. I apologise if you're name is referencing a frisky mythical beast and Mr isn't the appropriate nomenclature. :D

Pnut

That might be a good avatar picture. :P 

Griffin Forge. B) 

We're getting somewhere now.

Thanks pnut and CGL. I never thought about that.

That brooch looks good. I wish my second project looked half that good. 

I make a bunch of those things. When i make the pin i use a piece of 5/16" round (8mm for my metric using friends) taper one end to what i want then cut off a little more than the taper, 1/4" maybe. Use half faced blows to get a flat that i bend around for the loop. I might mention that is after i made the hoop so i can size the pin to it. 

Greetings Golfishunt,

Looks like you are on your way to new projects. One suggestion . Get a metal bucket for your slack tub . One miss and it will leak. Glad I could help you on your journey. Next time at my shop you can try a wall mount . 

Forge on and make beautiful things 

Jim

28702B29-8CF5-49BF-84F1-14415ADDCD33.jpeg

Klatchianmist, Billy is spot on about his suggestion. I think on that one, you could just cut the pin to the length ýou want and file it down. You want a smooth surface so it doesn't catch on anything. Just my 2 cents. 

Jim, that is an awesome bottle opener :D

Also, I use a small pair of wolf jaw tongs for brooches and most other smaller things like that