• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A SCA Barony about 1.5 hours north of me is having a Day of Arts and Sciences and I volunteered to teach a couple of hands on classes:

10 am  S hook

1 pm Penannular Brooch from copper.

6 students per class

Part of my being a Peer in the SCA is teaching and encouraging people to participate in the historic  crafts . (Why you sometimes see people using my SCA title of "Master" here; funny as I don't require it at SCA events...)  This is my first chance to get back in the local scene since I moved back and got a new job, (and my apprentice is supposed to help up there where he now resides.)

There are a lot of folks out there who would take up smithing if they knew they could do it with simple, cheap tools and materials.  I give a lot of "Hook them and reel them into the dark side" classes.  If nothing else it increases the pool of people who don't freak when you mention having a forge at events or your back yard.

I would have started a decade earlier if I had been exposed to blacksmithing instead of being exposed chained to a rock with an eagle tearing out my liver each day\\\\\\never mind, that's all ancient history now---but I do have a dandy scar!

I put off taking the plunge for a couple years because I couldn't afford all the expensive equipment like dirt 

Familiaritydoes make people more comfortable. As an example, When I was a kid riding a skateboard required being able to defend yourself from the idiots and knuckleheads who would inevitably start a fight with you. Now it's completely acceptable and no one bats an eye.

Pnut

Haha, that's funny. I can't say my forge was cheap, but it was a Christmas present pooled together by several people, so I didn't put any money on it. I mostly use yard sale tools I picked up or things we already had. One of my go to hammers is an old 1lb. ball pein that was laying around in the shop. 

I got started for less than twenty dollars. I've since spent money but I hesitated to get started for so long because I thought it would be too expensive. As soon as my eyes were opened to how low the initial investment can be I was all in. 

Pnut

For years it cost me nearly nothing. Everything was scrap or junk from an old metal yard. Fuel was wood. 

Took me about 3 or 4 years before I started really looking for a better anvil. 

Last few springs I have been going to the Orange engine show. It is a vintage engine show with lots of 1 lunger and steamers and such.  Last year a guy gave me a tour and he even said it's a new time.  He said it's on old persons game as the prices on the engines and parts are way to much for a youngster.  Back when he was coming up they used to give the engines away. 

I'm always amazed when they show a TV show or a video of someone who has started smithing in the last few years and they have every bell and whistle out there.   

Then I start to wonder where it all went wrong. 

Cost me almost nothing.  Was given a chunk of rail and made the rest from scrap.  Bought a couple hf hammers.  I’ve made every smithing tool I own other than a few hammers, pair of tongs, and the few power tools I’ve gotten mostly given to me.  

Mostly everything new I've got has been a birthday or Christmas present. Most material has either been given me or came from the scrapyard. My anvil is the only thing I've bought outright that was pricey but I started on a track anvil then a Vulcan in really bad shape. And a hammer I paid a little bit for. But the more I do this, I understand deeper how it's not the tools that make the craftsman. I prefer to not even use power tools if I don't have to. Nothing against them. I just like to keep it as simple as I can and the more I can forge something to finish, the less I have to use other means to get the result I'm after. In a nutshell, it's nice having things, but you don't have to have much to make beautiful things. Where there's a will there's a way

Yes, everything is more expensive now than then but when complaining about that (complaining about the cost of things today is part of the job description for curmudgeons) actual inflation has to be worked in.  I bought my first forge and anvil (a 100# Vulcan) for $25 each in 1978.  Today, with inflation, that would be a bit under $100 each, still a bargain but at least that is 2019 dollars.

In a sense, it is a good thing that black smithing tools are in demand and because of that are getting expensive.  That means the craft has more practitioners who are wanting a limited number of tools. It's simple supply and demand.

And has been pointed out, it is the skill and experience of the smith that are the major contributor to producing a successful object.  Fancy tools just make it a bit easier and faster.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

1 hour ago, George N. M. said:

Yes, everything is more expensive now than then but when complaining about that (complaining about the cost of things today is part of the job description for curmudgeons) actual inflation has to be worked in.

Interestingly, the little Iron City vise I got at Quad-State last fall retailed for $12 in 1891, which translates to about $340 today.

Iron City sold two models of vise with 6" jaws for $22 and $23 in 1891 (I don't know what the difference was between the models; probably weight), which comes to about $620 and $650, respectively. That puts the $420 (including shipping) for a new 6" vise from Kanca in perspective.

I got my 110 power just about squared away, then hung a single LED fixture, and my clock radio up and threw a hissy fit! :angry: Some LED's are not clean, I found an EMI filter on-line and ordered that, onnacounta I don't want to pack the light all back up, then try to refund it. 

So, the drop light is still on duty.

pmGCNPp.jpg

8 hours ago, BIGGUNDOCTOR said:

Randy Griffin, look up working and heat treat specs for 52100 steel. That is the alloy most used for smaller bearings.

Yes, I've been reading everything I could find. I don't have the right equipment to heat treat it to its full potential but I hope to get a decent knife.

On 11/22/2019 at 6:39 PM, ThomasPowers said:

you sometimes see people using my SCA title of "Master" here; funny as I don't require it at SCA events..

I closed my Dojo years ago, 2 of my higher ranked students teach still, I occasionally assist them.  I only expect my Masters title to be used when I teach, outside of class most of my students call me Steve