I Forge Iron

the handy rail spike

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lary I use them as practice for just about any blade design I'm going to do.  Nothing wrong with it,  people just need to understand it's not going to keep an edge no matter what they saw on TV and YouTube.  Anyway that's a great design I'm gonna borrow it for a couple myself if ya don't mind. 

On 5/7/2021 at 10:46 AM, ThomasPowers said:

PTree Forge used to buy spikes by the keg and sell loose ones at Quad-State,  You might search him out as he's just over the border from OH in KY.  Persimmon Tree Forge

If it's the Persimmon Tree Forge that I'm thinking of it's across the river from Louisville on the Indiana side in a little town called Floyd's Knob. 

Pnut

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/12/2021 at 5:24 AM, Chad J. said:

Lary I use them as practice for just about any blade design I'm going to do.  Nothing wrong with it,  people just need to understand it's not going to keep an edge no matter what they saw on TV and YouTube.  Anyway that's a great design I'm gonna borrow it for a couple myself if ya don't mind. 

Thanks Chad. I didn't see your post until yesterday? No problem as far as borrowing the design, I'm probably not the first. And as George N.M. has stated in another thread it's more the wow factor, it's a conversation peace, it's "Hey, that use to be a rail road spike".  

4 hours ago, lary said:

"Hey, that use to be a rail road spike".

There you go, you've discovered the secret of the success of RR spike knives and other products. Almost everybody on the planet knows what a RR spike is and being able to see it's transformation into something else recognizable is intriguing, making them an attractive product. 

Frosty The Lucky.

On 3/18/2017 at 12:09 PM, Irondragon ForgeClay Works said:

Rifle rack out of rough sawn cedar and RR spikes.

100_2150.thumb.JPG.04c42144544299516b5ff18ffded1e90.JPG

close up of hooks made out of very old wrought iron spikes.

100_2169.thumb.JPG.e9a82d2de8ec8b6483b786654232a490.JPG

On 3/18/2017 at 12:09 PM, Irondragon ForgeClay Works said:

Walking stick used as a self defense weapon in the Balkans, called a Fokosh.

fokos.thumb.jpg.f3944405667b2785dd2ed747e5ebe79c.jpg

I noticed tinypic deleted the pictures so here they are.

• 4 weeks later...

A friend (same one who sold me the lovely anvil) just gave me a box of spikes.

The only one which matches the size I've seen talked about as a RR spike is shown here for scale. Otherwise the box is a fairly even mix of the other three types, two of which have the same 'dog head' and many of them have a letter B on the top.

Any thoughts on what these are? I'm in Sweden, in case that makes a difference. Also grateful for ideas on what to make from them to get in my practice time!

20210704_182841.jpg

IrondragonFCW,  which model Rolling block is that? 6.5 or 7.7 Arisaka? The Trapdoors are a fun one to shoot.

Norrlander  - here in the States the HC marked spikes are used in the curves as they are stronger. Over where you are that may be the use for the longer dog's head one. The rest may be Logom spikes, not too little, not too much ;)