I Forge Iron

the handy rail spike

That's a pretty neat cross Lary, I wouldn't stop with the idea there though. I'd call it a successful "proof of concept" piece and start thinking of more applications to try with the technique. 

Norrlander: The "Dogs head" spike is attractive as it is but that's probably because I've never seen one like it.

That is a nice load of spikes, lots of possibilities in that box. You betcha!

Frosty The Lucky.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 5/14/2021 at 1:44 AM, Michael said:

I posted this back in 2015 on another RR spike thread 245.04 kB · 0 downloads

With proper credit to the Kootenay Blacksmiths Association.  I keep a print of this out in the smithy for inspiration

KootenayRailroadSpikeContes.thumb.jpg.e8f162a0b6d47f2174d678bae84b2361.jpg

I too have kept this photo for inspiration for a couple of reasons. One is that I have an unlimited number of rail spikes to work with, and the other is that it reminds me of our visit some years ago to Kootenay Forge in Canada. They were great people there and invited me into the workshop to watch the power hammer in operation and see their tumbler techniques for polishing finished pieces. Bought a couple of pieces to bring home to Australia.

I have forged a few of the items in this photo but many I would like to try. The dragonfly is impressive and I like the toast fork with the knot.

Haven't been on the forum for a while as I have not been well, but hope to get back into forging soon. Photos like this make me hope for a fast recovery. 

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

That is very nice.

I would only have one suggestion, and that is to make the initial curls of the scrolls more round rather than bending them over so abruptly. If you have an oxyfuel torch, you might want to try spot-heating them and re-rounding them with a pair of scrolling tongs.