I Forge Iron

the handy rail spike

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Even a single raisin can kill a dog that's particularly sensitive to them. I found out about that when one of our pitbulls got into a big package of raisins; I now know much more than I ever wanted to about how to induce vomiting in dogs. (He survived, but died a few years later from unrelated causes.)

On the other hand, when the same dog got hold of a couple of chocolate drops, the vet advised me that at his weight (about sixty pounds), he'd have to eat a couple of pounds of chocolate to be in real trouble.

How'd you induce vomiting John? I use a syringe and mineral oil about 8mil for a 15lb. dachshund and 30 for the 45lb. Icelandic. The doxy got into a bottle of dog vitamins and downed about 40. I don't recall what the Icy got into but happily he wouldn't bit if I gave him a tonsillectomy with my fingers. 

Grapes,  raisins that entire group of fruit are dog dangerous.

Avocados are actually good dog food so long as they don't swallow a pit. Avocados that fall on the ground in commercial orchards are sold to dogfood companies by the trainload. They may give a dog the runs if they eat a whole one but once their digestive system adjusts they'll do fine in moderation. Barring an allergy of course.

https://www.petmd.com/dog/nutrition/are-avocados-poisonous-dogs

One last thing. Do NOT feed your dog commercial quacamole, it contains onion and garlic, both are harmful. Heck I don't know of any animals but humans that can safely eat onion or garlic, lily bulbs tend to be really toxic. 

Frosty The Lucky.

We had to use peroxide on Pocket our half mini doxy half chihuahua. I swear that little dog could eat mineral oil like water and not throw up or get the runs. Bullet proof little dog. Usually.

Frosty The Lucky. 

On 6/13/2022 at 8:26 PM, Frosty said:

Avocados are actually good dog food so long as they don't swallow a pit.

The issue with avocado is it is completely random how much it takes to hurt your dog. Some are sensitive and others are not. Much like the raisin story earlier. Also hydrogen peroxide is the correct way for making dogs throw up. And as a related note, if your dog ever gets into antifreeze, you give them the strongest alcohol possible. It competes with the deadly type in the liver for being broken down.  Everclear is even pure enough to be given IV. 

Edited by Mod30
Trim quote.

I've probably got 30 or 40 brand new rail road spikes to play around with. And 2 or 3 used ones that are pitted, rusty and really thin just below the head (pretty common) not sure what to do with those. I know they make mediocre knives but I like the way that pitted texture handle goes with the newish looking blade.   

On 6/14/2022 at 7:01 PM, AngryOnion said:

Everclear is even pure enough to be given IV. 

Just out of curiosity. How long have you been a veterinarian? Do you actually give pet owners such grossly negligent advice? 

Anybody out there who has a pet get into Ethylene Glycol anti freeze get it to the VET soonest, not in the morning, don't wait to see if they get sick, grab it and GO.

Don't follow the advice of some unknown . . . Eh HEM (person) who doesn't understand what's written on WIKI.

Propylene Glycol is far less toxic and a good antifreeze option for your vehicles, it is slowly phasing out ethylene glycol antifreeze. Prop Glycol isn't nearly as sweet so it's less tempting and in a more pure form a component in medications and some supplements. 

One factor that makes ethylene glycol so dangerous is how sweet it is. The sweet taste indicates high nutritional value to our senses and instincts so it tastes GOOD. This means you don't have to have a dish of antifreeze out where animals can get into it, a leaking heater hose that leaves it on the driveway can poison your dog, cat, horse, goats, children. Dilution is better than floor dry but you have to really flush it away, down the drain is best. One of the products used to prevent animals from licking say "Bitter Apple" sprayed liberally is helpful. 

Bitter indicates to our instincts that toxic alkaloids are present so it tastes B A D. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Poisoning varmints at all is bad for predators in the area. Lots of predators scavenge freely so poisoned mice, rats, etc. get your cats dogs, coyotes, lynx, etc. leaving anti freeze out deliberately should be a crime.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 weeks later...

I know there's nothing new under the sun, but I have never seen a set of BBQ tongs made from a rail road spike. I thought I'd give it a shot and maybe come up with something I could include in a set with the forks and spatulas I make from spikes.

I forged a spike out to about 12", then split it with a bandsaw. I tapered the arms out some more and spread the ends slightly. It ended up just about 14" long.

Honestly, I'm not very pleased with it. The springy action is mediocre (not enough carbon in the steel, I imagine), and I just don't think there is enough material in a single spike to make it much longer without sacrificing strength, even if I used a chisel to split instead of a bandsaw. Also, it took me way too long to make it to be able to offer it it at a reasonable price.

It's kinda cool to look at and it works (sort of) so it's not a waste. Maybe I could weld a spike head onto some spring steel and get a longer, springier set with the same aesthetic effect.

rrspike bbq tongs_small.jpg

I like it but if it's not stiff enough it might not do. How about flattening the "tines" the other way so you're flexing it on edge rather than on the flat? It might not be very comfortable though. 

I like the idea, it would go really well with a spike set. If it's too much work for how well it works though. <sigh>

Frosty The Lucky.

Maybe I just need a power hammer to draw these spikes out faster lol. But first I need a shed to put it in so I don't shake the house down, and have you seen the price of materials these days? A few weeks ago I quoted a 24'x26' pole shed kit with two roll up doors, a 12" eave, wet-set pole brackets, and a man door. The quote was just under $17K, just for the materials! I'll keep forging in my garage for that price, thank you.

How did you heat treat it to get maximum springiness for what you have?

I was able to build a 20'x30' shop with 10' walls quite cheaply using my scrounging skills.  Of course it has 4 different shades of blue propanel on it and I lucked out that a major hailstorm in town generated a lot of used propanel and leftovers from re-roofing larger buildings.  I guess it helps too that our bedroom doesn't have a window on the wall towards that corner of the property and that we live in a rural area where barns and sheds are the norm; many less eyesome than mine!

Thomas, I didn't bother to heat treat, given the low carbon nature of most rail spikes. I could give it a shot though.

I'm a pretty decent scrounger myself, but you would think building materials are made of gold lately. The industrial plant where I work may have some sheet metal to get rid of within the next year or so, I'm hoping I can get some.

Good Morning, Mothman

Stop by and pick up whatever you would like, Coil Spring (assorted Diameters), small and large Leaf Springs, c/v joint Drive-Axles, Sway Bar Links, Tie-Rods, Torsion Bars, etc.

I'm sure you can find a Spring Shop closer to you though. Don't put up road blocks for what is acceptable. Explosives are NOT ACCEPTABLE,  LOL.

Neil