I Forge Iron

the handy rail spike

Thanks guys for the comments.  I made a jig to help get the scrolls to be more consistent. But that leads to the tips getting kinked. So I'll modify the jig and and probably start the scroll by hand (first inch or two on the tip).

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sounds like a good plan. 

4 minutes ago, Frosty said:

a customer wanting something more rough hewn

In my opinion and experience, that’s better accomplished through finishing (such as the brushed-scale finish on this trivet) than through design. In other words, a scroll that’s skillfully turned is always going to be more pleasing to the eye than one that isn’t, regardless of whether it has a rough or a smooth surface finish. 

Yup, a good rule for making scrolls with a finial of any sort is do the finial first. You can always quench it to keep its shape if it gets in the way. If done the other way, its very hard to get to it without taking the finial out of the plane of the scroll then turn the finial.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Good Morning Lary,

You will find that the tip has to be very small and a fairly long taper. When you start to turn the tip, you have to start the curl at the edge of the Anvil and turn it facing up to make sure the tip is small and circular. Sometimes I hang it over the edge of the Anvil and tap back into the Anvil (use the edge of the Anvil to push the tip to rotate. Light taps horizontal, toward the side of the Anvil. Eventually you will get it nice, don't be in hurry.

Neil

On 5/30/2022 at 9:25 PM, Michael said:

Those are great Hojpoj!  Split out legs and arms, chiseled or sawn? 

You got the "lean" just right.

Well done!

Mostly chiseled, with some sawing to clean up certain bits.

Here's a couple blanks I hammered out at the same time as the fisherman.  

20220531_225309.thumb.jpg.a943b2bd7c3f3b14a1a569b20889fca8.jpg

I learned that it is important to maintain proportions even with these caricatures... the arms definitely need to be longer than the torso, otherwise the 'lean' only looks good from limited viewing angles. 

To whit:

20220511_200703.thumb.jpg.ef8cf23d39ed676682ab7a25800b2567.jpg

The spine is too long to do it without that kink in it.  

...oh, and I'd make the neck thinner, too.

As far as the accessories, it was just going to be a fishing pole from steel with copper wire for the line,  but I ran out of time to it.  Instead I had to resort to some doll house accessories on Amazon in order to make the deadline.

15 hours ago, HojPoj said:

Mostly chiseled, with some sawing to clean up certain bits.

Here's a couple blanks I hammered out at the same time as the fisherman.  

Thanks for that info, I didn't realize you had flattened out the spikes first.  Have to try this, been making figures ala Anton Yakashev and Zeevik Gottlieb for the last few years. Everyone loves rail spike projects.

Edited by Mod30
Trim quote.