I Forge Iron

the handy rail spike

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A power hammer spike cannon is too hard to aim. Chemical propellants or magnetic accelerators work much better. 

You have to have excessive numbers of spikes to justify one of those don't you Thomas? 

Frosty The Lucky.

I do NOT think the Germans thought Sabotage was any kind of better. The Dutch forced labor would drop a wooden shoe (sabot) into the works jamming even breaking things, hence the word sabotage. 

Frosty The Lucky.

I should've double checked before that post. I keep forgetting I can't believe my memory. Sabot = old French cir 1600 meaning shoe usually wooden. "Webster."

It wasn't that long about there was a pretty interesting and entertaining thread about Klompen, klogs and other types of wooden footwear. 

Thanks Willy.

Frosty The Lucky.

Spikes make good weights for setlines when running in a river.  Catfish like the looks of them and they stay put. 

I like to make decorative knives out of extremely corroded ones.   I can get away with this as I'm not a bladesmith... :)

"Decorative knives" is a perfectly acceptable use for RR spikes, or indeed for any non-hardenable steel. My (so far only) sword was in wrought iron, selected entirely for its grain pattern.

I wonder if some of my old spike knives were wrought iron.  I made them before I discovered this site so I never paid any attention.  Metal was metal to me back then (scrap metal sculpture don't you know...).   I gave them all away so I will never know.  I have since moved away from my old glory hole (rr wreck site on abandoned line) where everytime it rained, new things were exposed.  It was kind of like searching for arrowheads...:)

I did forge them.  Grinding would have been faster....

I have a couple of WI spikes from an old rail-to-trail conversion outside Boston. When they tore up the tracks to turn it into a bike path, a friend gathered up a whole pile of spikes and gave them to me. The variety was pretty amazing, ranging from wrought iron to practically new; there were about four different kinds of rail anchors as well. I suspect that the line had been rebuilt many times over its lifespan, each time with different hardware.

On 6/2/2022 at 1:38 PM, JHCC said:

Is it better with sabots?

Although not up to date with this thread, nothing beats a good sabot.  Before I apprenticed myself with gun drills, I had to come up with a pretty fancy sabot to hold those things in the indexer. Point first or head first?