I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

If it did spot, who would know?

I myself cast the refractory shell into the new gas forge, shown here curing in a high-humidity sealed environment.

23A0B866-2422-47EE-BE93-7F8A51E479C5.jpeg

(After carefully calculating that I would need 10 pounds of refractory, I mixed up 12 and ended up needing 15.)

• Replies 26.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Went to my buddy's shop- who's building my belt grinder, and helped him make grinder pieces. He let me use his 2x72 grinder he's copying mine from- to rough finish grind the blade I made the other day.

Excited, cant wait to get mine home!

Finishing polish, and start on scales soon!

20200503_194748.jpg

20200503_194734.jpg

20200503_194718.jpg

look Mordecai i fashioned  one of them fancy none hand crank tommy hawk de-blemisher outta that motor the lord bestowed on me during our bi-yearly trash run. 

btw the hawk still has hideous occlusions on the top and bottom side. if it makes it through the the quench im gonna see how fast i can make the bit fall out.... 

hawkwindthebandtheliketoeatlittlepapersquares1.jpg

whitetrash buffer.jpg

Made a first hook yesterday for hanging my headphones , first time doing twists , i guess it turned out okayish. Need to remember for the next time to finish the twist all the way because it was a bit off center at the anchor point , but when mounted you do not see it much :D. And critiques are welcome and appreciated .aQdP2g1TlbJ60xach3S4hZywDrzT0ucAYowX6VjW

uj1U4ONdV7lLU1rmSOiTomCjj33UTDVpeQUeGl9l

Saturday started with the typical scrapyard/trash transfer run. 1 55 gallon bag of trash in and next door at the scrapyard  187# of steel out.

Got May's allowance and so bought another welding gas tank (NOT ACETYLENE!).   A fellow in town had a large lot where he collected junk and recycled old house trailers; one day he was burning off the fluff and left the fire to go gambling---definitely lost as the wind blew the fire around and the entire place went up including decades of "stuff" he had acquired and stored in empty trailers. All ended scrapped out. I've counted 10 burnt welding tanks (Oxy + shielding gasses) at the scrapyard so far.  I'm getting fairly good at pulling the valve stems on them: Top is a bell, middle are forge bodies and base are dishing forms..  Also 10' of 1" rod and 3' of 1" by 4"  rectangular.  I also pulled another 3 nice pulleys all cast iron 1 adjustable and one 8"?; unfortunately I need a double sheave pulley for my powerhammer and with pounds of pulleys in my shop I may have to go buy one new, shudder, shudder.

After lunch was going to be dedicated to getting the main pulley off my 25# LG.  So I got my penetrating oil and lead hammer and got ready for a long hot (mid 90's degF) battle. (Hammer had been outside laying on a pallet for 25 years.) And as I was positioning it to start soaking oil into the clutch faces---it shifted!  Huh? so I wiggled it and  the outer pulley section came off into my hands.  Took me longer to get set up to work on it. 

So I finished drilling the holes in my bud vase project by hand with an "eggbeater" drill; but one of the larger ones.  Had to step up drill sizes twice and finish with a countersink.  A tedious hot job; I will be happy when I get power to my shop finally!

Then I devoted the rest of the day to honey do's.

Sunday, I went up and checked out the swamp cooler after a couple of days of running pretty much full out.  One spider was clogged so I ramrodded it out with some light steel cable and oiled the bearings again.  Then out to the shop where I started cleaning the top works of the LG.  A lot of chiseling archaic grease and dust  off of everything and then hand sanding with WD-40 and abrasive cloth all the clutch faces to get through the rust to metal.  Still mid 90's deg F. I need to work on my heat tolerance as sometimes sweat was running down my face making it hard to see.  Went to work with "mechanic's hands" today; but I got about 2/3 of the project done. (My wife bought me a gallon of WD-40 for Father's day and gave it to me early; she's a keeper!)

In between things I was hack sawing the rod and heavy strap stock to do a break test on them.  Rod isn't WI. Strap is still waiting to get the cut to where I can break it off.

Got a call that some of my adopted siblings had run out of gas around 15 miles away. I told them I would go buy a gas can and fill it and take it to them but I had to wash up enough that I could hold the steering wheel.  (Double wash with Dawn) then as I was getting ready to leave; got another call that someone had given them enough gas to get to the station and they didn't need my help and were on their way 160 miles to home.  So it was about dinner time anyway. I closed and locked up the shop and did another 2 washes and had a lovely home made chicken soup with garlic bread and 36 ounces of fizzy water mixed with Pomegranate syrup and then rewatched "The Hobbit", (Peter Jackson version), with my wife.

Nothing exciting about my weekend "in the shop" because I never got there.  Went out Friday morning to start the forge and smelled sewage!  :blink:  We are on a septic tank and there was a "puddle" in the pasture behind our yard.  I've lived here for 21 years now and being a "city boy" never really gave much thought to where the tank and lateral lines were.  Flush the toilet, wash the clothes, brush your teeth and the water just "goes somewhere". :D  Any way I dug up the puddle thinking that was where the tank was.....................but nope, it was just one of the lateral lines.  Started poking all over the place and digging holes only to find more lateral lines.   Septic pumping service arrived Saturday to find the tank.  Found it and dug it up and pumped what he could, but it was a real chore to get down 4 of the 6 feet the tank holds.  He couldn't break it up.  So I've got to get it cleaned out so he can come back and pump the balance of the sludge out of my tank.  Oh and a neighbor friend says I have to find the ends of all my lateral lines and open them up to flush the sand out that is clogging them..........then seal them back up.  So I'm trying to locate diagrams at the City offices so I can figure out where all the lines and junction boxes are.  Fun times "in the shop", for sure. :wacko:

Chris, I understand you all too well. A funny puzzle to find the right lateral lines and their connected collection wells. in our case we also suffer from too little slope in the pipelines, which in my case means that I have to clean every two months with the Kärcher high pressure sprayer around the entrances to the central sewer in order to transport our excrement to the central reception. In this case, a well-known American personality was completely right, Belgium is indeed a xxxx-hole. Be glad you only have to do it every 21 years :lol:.

The "flush anything down" can also cause problems.  We've been on septic tanks most of our lives and learned NOT to use certain products.  Like fabric softeners in the washer as they tend to coat the soil around the lines making it less absorptive.  Any softening is done with dryer sheets. Me I prefer to not use anything which drives my wife crazy.  (I also like using a clothes line---down here with single digit humidities on a regular basis I've had things dry and ready to take down when I get the last of a load hung out.)

One aspect of this is where neighbors get their tank pumped yearly, we seem to be doing fine on a 5 year schedule saving considerable amounts of money. 

When we built our place here, I did all the plumbing and put the toilets, sinks and showers on the septic system. Then a separate grey water system for the washing machine, large laundry room sink and dishwasher that goes to a dry-well down the hill. The only mistake I made with the septic tank was to put in a 500 gal steel tank. It rusted out and collapsed after about 12 years so it was replaced with a 1000 gal polly tank. Going on 20 years without a problem now. Here is Merlin inspecting everything.

100_0006-1.jpg.18412340d2f178f2eddb036a47c32309.jpg

"flushable wipes"...................oh yeah!  The people who owned the house before us had two small children.  The septic pump man said he'd never seen so many wipes in a septic tank before.  Said the anti-bacterial chemicals in those wipes kills the good bacteria in the tank...........which one wants, of course.  I just sent an e-mail to the local permit people asking for a Tank & Lateral Line Locate.  I'm supposed to get an answer in about an hour..........................of course that's if they are even at work!

IFC, a buddy of mine down the road told me he'd put in a gray water system when he built his house.  Told me he did it because laundry soaps destroyed the bacteria in a septic tank.  Don't know if he was right or not, but as much washing water as we send down the line, I wish we had a separate system for it.  We use liquid fabric softeners like Thomas was saying were harmful.  Oh well, city boy is learning lots.

I’m case anyone was wondering if these could be used as bells. Not much of a ring while suspended by rope. Have not done much forging lately. Started this Bowie awhile back. Been working on getting the dings and scratches out before heat treat. Might do some forging today. Most time has been spent in the garden this spring. Hope y’all are holding up alright! I haven’t been on the fora in a bit, but work will be starting up again soon and more time at a desk.

Unfortunately the pic of the Bowie will not load

This weekend was mostly garden (which I'll relate for the heck of it), but there were a few smithing milestones:

- My sister and BIL paid for a year's membership in the MN Guild of Metalsmiths. Can't wait to make it to a meeting once they start back up. 
- I informed my wife that since a puzzle room is out for birthdays this year, I want to light the forge for the first time. I'll have to do it hoodless and outdoors, but I have a blower and charcoal, so it's time to see how far we can get. The gift/event part from her is that Little Bean is eight months old this week, so she'll have to do without me for part of the afternoon (or have a sooty baby). 
- An old friend of mine shipped me a box of coffee cans to start making charcoal in. My urban back yard won't allow for a 55-gallon steel drum setup, so we're doing what we can with what we've got. He also ripped a bunch of scrap wood from his barn into nice-sized tooling handles for me, so I'll have those to work with when I get started. Pine and red oak, we think (pine is for practice since I've never done this before). 
- Found out there's a scrap yard in the next suburb north, so we're going to go check that out once circumstances allow. 

Garden
- We've got seedlings started: zucchini, tomatoes, and hubbard squash. All are coming up and getting hardened off day by day. 
- The main plot is cleaned up and I've added a stone dividing line and hand/foothold down the middle of it. 
- The beet/carrot section is all laid out and partially planted, though I realized that all the packets of beet seed I thought I had were empties that I failed to throw out last year. 
- My wife is officially fully invested in the garden. She keeps coming into my office with ideas and LO! my heart rejoiceth. 
- Tangentially-related: the new steel clothesline is up and running, with just a slight bend to the steel pipe structure. I should have used 1.5" instead of 1".

--SDG, TJD

Well, I think I’ve salvaged it:C38046E7-9418-419A-9EE5-F75516BB2FDE.jpeg.4ab4e0ae6c9ece8b61a8efb9083a2f06.jpegB752F4CC-B57E-47E3-A775-BD6C83D4DB06.jpeg.d9e38c1f9a60ffeb6fe4d00bad3b3ef7.jpeg

Ended up grinding the partial hardened face off, and welding a new one on. Didn’t go to bad. I did have to reforge the fullers and eye a little, but I think it’s a little less wonky now. All I have to do now is polish the faces and put it to work.

For anyone interested, to forge the new face on, I cut/forge the new face to size and ground it clean. As soon as I set the grinder down, I put beeswax on it then sprinkled anhydrous borax on it to keep the face clean. It feels like cheating, but then clamped it to the hammer and put couple MiG weld spots to hold it in place. From there, in to the forge and brought the heat up slow and fluxed heavily at a low red. Then, back for a high welding heat, tapped they eye drift in place before setting the weld. Repeated, twice and it held really well with minimal distortion to the eye, but the fuller on that side needed redone completely.

All in all, a very interesting learning experience.

David

42 minutes ago, 671jungle said:

Unfortunately the pic of the Bowie will not load

What loaded is a 10 second Youtube video of a brake drum being tapped with a hammer. Supposed to be about the statement of bell not ringing. To upload a picture now you have to resize the pixels by 50% before uploading or it will time out and give an error msg.

I really don’t see you taking a the easy way out. I figured you’d have started from scratch and just tossed the failure.

You work and videos, are one of my inspirations.

David

8 hours ago, Chris C said:

IFC, a buddy of mine down the road told me he'd put in a gray water system when he built his house.  Told me he did it because laundry soaps destroyed the bacteria in a septic tank.  

We live in the country and have a two part septic system, separate black water and grey water lines.  The only thing that goes down the black water lines and septic system is toilet waste.  All other goes out the grey water lines.  No bleach, detergents or chemicals go in the septic tank save for a very small amount of cleaners for the toilets.  Yes, copious amounts of bleaches, detergents, disinfectants, etc. will kill your septic tank bio.