I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

if you look closely from the top view you can see where the bit meets the body of the hawk, then i have a very thin layer laminating out a ways as you can see from some faint lines in the side views, my question is do you think theres enough to secure the bit once putting through another welding cycle? there are some areas that are seemless so there was some solid welding achieved im just worried about the longevity as i like to put my tools through the ringer

• Replies 26.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bad weather in my parts, which translates: more time for blacksmithing!
Here is a video of me making a peeling knife, as a request from my wife. (I'm not really into making knives, but this is for a good cause; more motivation for her to make me delicious meals :))

A very well done video. I like the single edge on the peeling knife, here we call them paring knives. First time I have seen that twist for a handle and love it. I especially liked the ending where you hang up the PPE, would have liked to see a guard on the angle grinder though.

jlpservice, thank you. Much appreciated

Irondragon Forge, I'm really glad that you've liked my video. 
I'm really grateful for your support, by that I mean all of you folks on IFI!
In regards to PPE... I really take care of my protection and think we all should do that and of course, I'm aware of not having a guard on my angle grinder is not safe. I'm guilty as I can be. Problem is that I'm used to using small angle grinders like that, as long as I remember. The guard just gets in my way... I do use full face shield, when I'm operating an angle grinder in that configuration, so I believe it reduces hazards a bit..

Thank you for an excellent video DSW. You show how fine an as forged finish can be made with skill and patience. Your video production standards are much better than most. Everything was professional level; angle, framing, lighting and lack of annoying distractions like loud music or needless forge roar. 

All in all well done, VERY.

Frosty The Lucky. 

Thank you VERY much!

Well, everything in my video making is a poor man's resources. All filming credits go to my wife, she is the one behind camera, or should I say, behind the smartphone :). We don't even have a tripod, she is holding the phone in her hands (ocassional shakiness). Every video till present is filmed with  the CAT S61 Smartphone. My job is just to edit the video and upload.

You sure had me fooled, your wife is as steady as a tripod and makes tasty meals too! You're a lucky man.  Does she do any work at the anvil? Ladysmiths are treasures, the forum can use more.

Frosty The Lucky. 

Hehehe, she is a nurse, so steady hands are desirable in her line of work :D

She loves to spend time with me in the workshop and helps me quite often, but she likes to watch me forge more than she would like to try. She did forge one leaf keychain with my help, and that was that :D.

Your wife does great work. I would not have known someone is holding a  camera in their hands. 

No pictures, but I had an awesome time in the smithy today. Made a leaf keychain to warm up. Practiced isolating material because I'm going to make a scrolling wrench when I get some decent sized steel for it.  And got one tong half nearly done. I need to make some to hold horseshoes better. Just gotta get the rein drawn out. Lots of work as I'm sure many of you know. Even practiced scrolling with some S hooks. It's weird, but sometimes the simplest operations seem harder for me to do. But mostly, got some hammer time in on many different sizes and shapes. 

DSW, I really enjoyed the video.  And a great little paring knife.

I spent a few hours finishing up the drawknife forging, and sharpening. Now I need to make handles for it. But I need to build a lathe, and some chisels, to turn the handles.  It works pretty good though, and I've been needing one for quite a while now.

IMG_20200502_183823297 (Copy).jpg

IMG_20200502_184105673 (Copy).jpg

You might see if she likes forging copper DSW. It's much different than steel but is enjoyable in a lower energy more precise sort of way. Listen closely copper work hardens abruptly and needs to be annealed. It'll surprise you if you don't know it's cues.

You're living the dream.

Frosty The Lucky. 

First attempt at a blade.

Forged from an old ferrier's rasp given to me by my brother. I ground the profile clean with an angle grinder, and hand files so far. Have a machinist friend who's currently building me a 2x72 belt grinder... so I'm behind on a couple steps. Lol.. first attempt at quenching today as well. File seems to skate!

Also beat out a couple hot cut hardy tools. One out of some leaf spring with mig welded shims to thicken it. Its currently tempering in the oven. 

The other is a "real" one piece. Forging it from a semi truck drag link that's supposed to be 4150? I believe. About 1-1/2" thick... it's taking some time. My biggest hammer is 2.5lbs! :o

20200502_220712.jpg

6 hours ago, bluerooster said:

DSW, I really enjoyed the video.  And a great little paring knife.

Thank you, I'm glad that you found it enjoyable.

8 hours ago, CrazyGoatLady said:

Your wife does great work. I would not have known someone is holding a  camera in their hands. 

Hehehe, I'm will pass on your commendation to her. Thanks

6 hours ago, Frosty said:

You might see if she likes forging copper DSW. It's much different than steel but is enjoyable in a lower energy more precise sort of way.

I will present your idea to her. We'll see...

looking good has a nice flow to it. if you really wanna get better at knives do what you need to do and try and harden it, if it dont harden the first thing you need to do is get yourself some steel more suitable for blades, find some leaf spring thats not too thick, its not the easiest to work with. i started on files. ive yet to make a knife that i can proudly show, though read discussions here on IFI and mingling with the locals will speed up your learning considerably. but so will repitition. lately ive been focused more on tools as you'll learn quick sometimes you need 5 tool to make the thing you were wanting then when you go to make it you realize you need 2 more. :)

Not smithing, but it's "what I did in the shop today".     Gave the airplane a bath, and changed the oil. Then had to dry it off, so I went for a flight to blow the water off so it doesn't spot.  

38 (Copy).JPG

On 4/26/2020 at 5:28 PM, jlpservicesinc said:

Bluerooster. I do love that anvil. 

Thank you, It's a "homebrew ALO". I like it too, but I wish it had a horn. May add one in the near future. ;)