I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

It's also in his earlier book "The Modern Blacksmith" available as a free PDF, a Google search should find it, I got mine from archive.org. "The Complete Modern Blacksmith" is available on Amazon cheap (under $20) or as a Kindle download.

1 hour ago, ThomasPowers said:

(In "The Complete Modern Blacksmith"). 

• Replies 26.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One of the strengths the Weygers books, IMO, is that they are illustrated with shaded line drawings rather than photos.  These are always clearer and more instructive.  It is very seldom these days that one can find an illustrator with that skill, particularly for a "how to" book.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Latticino! thanks for the constructive critique and compliments. i honestly with i would have left the back blunt as more useful. thanks again it means alot

Cheers 

thomes check this bit of industrial waste i salvaged. i gave up guessing what it came from but its 3 feet long without the U at the end and its 1 1/2 thick.  sparks like medium carbon. i was hoping for 4140 but you get what you get. come to think of it, ive never spark tested 4140

. chains are always welcome and that little plate with a hole will find a use im sure

1nhalfincher.jpg

Very rare indeed if you have ever viewed collision repair estimating software illustrations. They are some of the absolute worst, and leave many parts and fastners out. Half the time the dealers even say that some parts and fastners don't exist. Ugh. Meanwhile, on our "needed fastner" sheets, if I don't have one to tape on, I draw it and most always they know what I need and can match it up. 

Does no one take drafting any more?

can't seem to get an image uploaded, but got an octopus wall mount finished for Elizabeth the other day. 

Today I got one section of railing removed to sand blast and repaint. Infortunately the oldconcrete didn't hold up well (breaking corner sections) removing it from the leaded concrete slab. Any tips? Tho, after this one, I doubt she will let me remove the others to repair, even though they need it. 

John, I still remember the basics and can sketch a simple 3d part. 

I just checked my 1974 edition of Weygers' book and it says, "Illustrations by the author."  I googled him and his wikipedia biography starts, "Alexander George (Alex) Weygers (October 12, 1901–July 23, 1989) was a polymath Dutch-American artist who is best known as a sculptor, painter, print maker, blacksmith, carpenter, philosopher, aerospace engineer and author."  His biography makes for awe inspiring reading.  I'm going to have to get his posthumously published "The Complete Modern Blacksmith" (1997).  The 1974 edition was one of my first black smithing books and it has served me well.  I commend it to any smith who is not familiar with it.  Wiki says that Weygers considered black smithing the "mother craft" of civilization.  I wish that I had known him.

There was a little article about him in Fine Woodworking magazine back in the Eighties that included a great quote that I’ve since used often: “Little corrections, always little corrections. With the little corrections, we avoid the big corrections.”

Ah yes!    Weygers,

A most incredible guy.

There is a slightly better short biographical write up at  

https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/362226.Alexander_G_Weygers

He was a multitalented man. That had more talents and expertise than that stated above.

He was first, a ship's engineer and then, also, a general engineer and, as stated, above, an aeronautical engineer.

He was born in Java Indonesia.  (then ruled by the Dutch). He got to the Netherlands as the engineer on the ship, and did further studies in the Netherlands and elsewhere on the continent.

I suggest a read of the above refence for more, information concerning him.

There are pictures of some of his wood carvings in his books. In my estimation they are absolutely superb, beautiful  even.

I am glad that his name was brought up in this thread. He IS  a man worth knowing more about.

Regards to all,

SLAG.

Another good article can be found at this reference.

http://www.laesieworks.com/ifo/lib/Alexander_Weygers.html

also,

http://www.alexweygers.com/

According to the wiki biography his parents sent him to the Netherlands at age 16 to continue his formal education.  That would be common for colonial families.

The Goodread article is very similar to the wiki one.  I suspect one derives from the other.  Which came first is only speculation.

Note: when I want to "check out a book", often before buying a copy; I go to my local public library and ILL it through them.  Doing so in my small rural town in NM, USA I have been able to check out a copy of a book that I had on Amazon book search for 10 years with no hits.  You are paying for the Public Library anyway; why not use it?

Weygers is a person I would have loved to have over for dinner; except that I fear we would end up in the garage building an incredibly beautiful interstellar spacecraft using hand forged parts before we got to dessert...

Still not shop (not there yet), but yesterday I managed to change the oil on the Camry. There's no better way to figure out the your socket ratchets are stripped. Fortunately, my wife had one of her grandfather's adjustable socket wrenches that did the trick. Next up is the Buick, followed by oil filters. I'm starting small. 

Cast the refractory for a new ribbon burner and the doors on the new gasser. 

Ready to go. The burner mold is on the right, and the doors are on the left with masonite damming duct-taped around their edges.

142034EF-2704-4499-A49E-A19238681045.jpeg

Ramming Kastolite between the skewers of the ribbon burner.

97A6701C-B2E2-44A8-8BCD-185EBCED8265.jpeg

Plenum in place (sorry for the blurry photo).

1CBAFD35-194E-4DD1-88BE-21A5FB188A7C.jpeg

Adding Kastolite to the doors. The two on the left show the ceramic wool layer that bulks up most of the inside volume.

7100BE57-9D46-4534-96B6-059F4E193F1B.jpeg

All done. 

FB8BFA20-6F82-4328-A142-B0C630D74D12.jpeg

Everything is now wrapped in plastic and left to cure. Updates to follow.

thanks Guys..   Hans all the axes I make take commercially available handles.  Same with tomahawks.  This way a purchaser can just order it online or send it back to me. 

I personally don't think the quality of handles is as good as it was 40 years ago.. the woods seemed denser/heavier. .