I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

3 hours ago, jlpservicesinc said:

Besides that, he is a nice guy to boot. 

You think Mark's nice to boot!? :o My oh MY, the things you learn about people here! 

Great straight line Jennifer, thanks for the chuckle. 

Frosty The Lucky.

• Replies 26.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I made three glowing rectangles yesterday.  They are going to become tapered extra-wide laminated hand plane blades for an upcoming competition (kezurou-kai colorado).  Starrett O1 cutting edge, 1018 body, ~3x6x1/4".  I mig welded all the way around to keep oxygen off the forge weld. 

DSC_0163.JPG

Nice Rojo. We call those "Bending Forks." Jigs are a whole different thing. I suggest you chamfer off the tops of the rounds, even round them. The fewer sharp edges and corners you have the less often you'll be putting on bandages.

Frosty The Lucky.

Good Morning Rojo,

Yes, that will make good bending forks.

I prefer to weld a salvage tie-rod 5/8" diameter to a surplus piece of angle bar, welded toward one end. Make two of them and you can make an adjustable bending forks that you can hold in your Vice. Drop a bushing over one of the tie-rod rounds sticking up and you can make the ultimate in a versatile Bending Forks. Any spacing, any size diameter. maximum to the size of your Vice. No I don't have a picture, use your imagination. It is too simple, drops into your bag of Tricks, the two pieces can be fastened together with one bolt and nut. Space required is minimal.

Neil

Neil, that is what I use. Only thing different is I used 1/2" stock for the jig. That lets me use 1/2" drive sockets for the various size bushings. I think I got the idea from here somewhere. I surely didn't come up with it on my own......           Life is good              Dave 

19 minutes ago, C-1ToolSteel said:

Maybe a lamp or something?

Nice bass. Maybe make a hook and lure to scale and use it for a lamp pull?

Not a lot going on in my shop though it's warming up. Picking up some after the quake and working on changing the dovetails out on the LG. Top one slid right out, that was it's problem to start with, wouldn't stay. Unfortunately I can't get the key driven out of the bottom dovetail. Yeah, I know I could just leave it, the dies bolt in. Unfortunately the key started backing out then stopped COLD. The drift I was using to drive it started deforming so I stopped so as not to pein the key into something permanent. I'd call it good and leave it but it'd lifted up out of the dovetail and now sticks up so it's more of a problem. 

So I started heating the sow block itself. The Turbotorch barely warmed it so I got out the rosebud. It was doing nicely, actually saw a BIt of movement just before the oxy ran out. <sigh>

Unloaded and packed the exchange cylinder back and made it more secure than the old one. But rather than light the rosebud I forged a new key drift to match the space from a piece of "potato bar." Good stuff potato bar, high side of medium carbon steel, makes GREAT tongs. So, tomorrow's shop time will be heating the sow block and driving that key out of the dovetail. 

Then all I'll need do is fit the new dovetails, drill and tap them for the dies and the LG is back in business. :)

Frosty The Lucky.

Small bass, heck i would fillet that thing. Oh, wait it may be a little hard on the teeth

So i finished my hammer today. While tempering i dropped it on a rug. Man that rubber stuff they make them out of now is hard to get off. keeps clogging the grinder. (dont ask, the old lady wanted to see the "pretty colours") 

Anyway, like i said 4140 steel, hardened very nice. came out at just a couple ounces under 3#. i can not beleive the difference in using a good hammer. I just used it t taper out a couple pieces of steel. 5/16, 3/8, then 1/2. moved the meta real nice. It is a little crooked, but that is because my rasp skills need some work. And yeah i know it should go all the way to the split but when i did my last fitting i could not get it back off. I will just wait for it to break then re-do the handle. Put a little ebony stain on him. feels good and most importantly i like it. 

20190508_181846.thumb.jpg.b3e0e9a45d85429e9b19ae71f0a5dd32.jpg

20190508_181931.thumb.jpg.ae024c970fc6c7c53a1ff345f8cf4a74.jpg

20190508_182004.thumb.jpg.f05c34da9be01024af67d7eb29cdf195.jpg

Processed some coil spring. Made myself a holdfast and a chisel. The holdfast works great but I got my marks all wrong on the chisel. But, I hardened and tempered it anyway and, in the words of Doug Marcaida, “It will cut.”  Or rather chisel. Then I made a few strikers from garage door spring. It pays to draw it out in pencil first but they spark after hardening so.....success. Also found that my chipping hammer doubles as a useful hotcut in the pritchell hole. 

3229D766-F232-4416-808C-E813A37E2BEC.jpeg

8537D162-E954-4708-B3CF-1E0E398A6C43.jpeg

10D025E5-6162-4789-9C34-9F9C1143E200.jpeg

image.jpg

A bit sore in the hammer elbow today, so the demo was limited to light stuff. Made a few knot keyholders. The copper one was a bit of a challenge. It likes to melt and is fragile when tightening the knot. Got there on the second try.

Also made a wall hook from an old piano pedal. It could sit nicely with the treble clef hooks that musical people like.

knots.JPG

Though I am far from being done with the inside work in my shed, I was finally able to put up me first wall decoration. Can remember my dad having this saw hanging on various shed walls for forty years, and now it has found a home in mine. He actually bought it new and to this day it has never been used. I have tried many things at least once in my life to at least say I have did that, but never a crosscut saw.

2019-05-09 07.06.24_1.jpg

Greetings Rojo and Dave,

i think you got the idea for old socket adjustable bending forks from me long ago. I also make forks that extend over the side of the anvil that are secured by a wedge in the hardy hole. All work great for different applications. Have fun

Forge on and make beautiful things 

Jim

FE3661DD-799C-44EF-AAD4-B1773248B255.jpeg

8E605942-D60D-480B-A6B5-CC462F936E1C.jpeg