• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Daswulf

• Frosty

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Inventorying the scars on my hands helps keep me awake during long boring meetings in my day job! Molten zinc and a 160# Great Dane are two of the odder ones; though I like the semilunar pipe scar---I tell folks it's a secret society brand...and oh yes the crushed pinkie and the license plate scar(thrown).

1 hour ago, jlpservicesinc said:

Why is it all long time blacksmith's hands all look the same.

I call them initiation marks into a very special club.  ;)  And the difference between a blacksmith and anyone else is that the blacksmith doesn't flinch and screw up the forge weld!

My scars disappear pretty quickly unless they're deep. Lack of hair on the other hand, either hand actually is the norm, I think it's just stopped trying.

I know I'm on fire. STOP SLAPPING ME!! The smell of cotton smoke is distinctive, leather and wool are REAL attention getters. Seared pork is more subtle but the other clues suffice.

Be careful out there.

Frosty The Lucky.

2 hours ago, anvil said:

wI call them initiation marks into a very special club.  

one of my good friends came over back when i was making the steeled 4+lbs wrought iron hammer. I was hoping he could help me at least get a tack on them. 

I told him it would be hot and not to worry its just radiation heat from the hot metal so not to be surprised when I pulled it out and be ready to hit it with the sledge very lightly to set the weld.

I pulled the 2 pieces out and he jumped back..  I was like where are you going..    " He looked at me and said paraphrasing " it's skunking bunking hot, I now know what a pig feels like going into the oven"   He immediately thrusted both arms into the water bucket. 

I cleaned up the 2 pieces and put them on the side and shut the forge down..  It wasn't THAT hot... 

Chelonian- I believe that is what is known  (at least in my area) as a mason's 'point'. It is used for trimming down bumps and lumps on stone surfaces. High carbon, make what you want from them. Probably treat it as 1080 or so. I just got a bunch of them at a barn sale- great stock to have on hand.

Steve

Welded up a quench tank today. I got the mig welder in the shop up and running yesterday and used it today for my first time not stick welding. I think I can run a better bead with the mig than a stick and I've been able to stick weld for almost 10 years (well enough to call it a weld at least).

4-26-19-4.thumb.jpg.c27e68d795038fd7052587d5dab51425.jpg

4-26-19-2.thumb.jpg.ad15a3062a5f7f84df2ceff61581cdf9.jpg

4-26-19-3.thumb.jpg.dcfaf78a93c87d42d6ccf1af4718bc69.jpg

4-26-19-1.thumb.jpg.a3fd0db6566bf792613fc6bd86e3c4a9.jpg

Does it leak? Bear this one fact of welding life in mind. Mig welders make better LOOKING beads, NOT better welds. Migs are famous for "cold lapping" welds, that means lay a beautiful bead that's only stuck to the surface with virtually no penetration. 

Not saying you've laid bad welds, just saying to keep your eye open for the possibility of cold laps under beautiful bead till you get used to GMAW. They are NOT point and weld, you still have to make a puddle and fill it.

Frosty The Lucky.

Jenifer and Anvil-  Amen.  But don't forget the flux-burn holes in your t-shirts, hands heal, shirts don't! (grin)

IMG_3551.thumb.JPG.93e56709b458ae5e407c9f44b2fd2396.JPG

IMG_3552.thumb.JPG.54ec23219359995d2546ce776a64503f.JPG

Here's what I did in the shop today.  Mostly texturing, felt like about a thousand pieces but it was only 150.  Plus some forge welding of hinges, fabricating barn door roller hardware, forged a half dozen small pulls.  Cut and chamfered track standoffs.  

IMG_3555.thumb.JPG.82b4fd0e459e3bf090a8b7e8beef39aa.JPG

IMG_3554.thumb.JPG.71baea8706b15b646422cc7294fcbb37.JPG

IMG_3553.thumb.JPG.ee66d1010728007f2f4d289060fdf200.JPG

Nice work Judson,  also, I can match you, and raise one pants on fire.

For a while I used to buy all black T-shirts so they would stay looking good for more than a week. Problem with black T shirts is then the flesh tones under it shine through. 

20190426_200132.jpg

20190426_200234.jpg

Frosty a lot of the new Pipe welding rigs are MIG. Miller sells a pipe welding setup directly aimed at the pipe layers industry. 

When I took my course I asked to get instruction on MIG Pipe. Setting up the machine is key. After its setup properly is pretty much like running stick. For guaranteed perfect welds TIG, of course, the champion.

ED5-4.pdf

Test it with water. Yes? It's a LOT easier to clean up if there's a leak and won't cause porosity when you try patching it. If you fill it with oil and it leaks we ARE GOING TO LAUGH AT YOU! :lol:

That many beads is just beginner overkill, no sweat. ;) 

A quench tank or similar weld isn't structural so you don't need or actually want to make that many passes. For now you'll learn a LOT faster making single beads and finding out what's not right about them. Make sense? Lighter stock is better to learn on, you can see what's happening from the far side.

Once you start getting proficient, practice on 1/4" stock coupons and test the welds. Say cut a bunch of 1/4" x 2" strap stock in 2" lengths and butt weld pairs. Put it in a vise about 1/2" below the bead and bend it over with a hammer.

Frosty The Lucky.

Finished a light (~2lb-ish) cross peen I’d been working on. Sweet little thing; I’m looking forward to trying it out. 

5D16B36F-2D17-40CA-8B69-AC66023DA55A.jpeg

(This was from a piece of shafting from the industrial surplus warehouse. Sparks like 4140, as best I can tell.)

Nice work John. 

It was my daughters 1st birthday today, but my little shop time is in getting ready for a fair this weekend. Pretty much everything is packed up so other than a little morning shop time I'm probably done for the weekend. I offered to pass on this show since we were going to have a party on this weekend for my daughters 1st. It's been a great fair for me so my better half insisted I do it and we'll have the party next weekend. 

Pr3ssure, if you want help with wire feed welding, I'm not too far away. 

Thanks das, I just watched some videos yesterday and luckily the wire in the welder was flux core. I didn't even know you used gas with mig until last night. It's just a little Miller running on a 120 v plug. But it seems to do alright for smaller stuff. The plate I used for the quench tank was like 3.something mm, I think that's 1/8th inch. The cylinder was half inch though so I'm glad it worked. My last few welding rods are all broken up. 

Im definitely down to plan something out though this summer. Would also love to get someone to help me make a hammer. I've also gotta keep myself occupied in a productive way for 2 years due to some, well err, legal reasons. So I'm gonna be doing a lot this summer. 

Also, I have yet to fill it with water.  Will do that tomorrow. 

Thanks John. She had a fun and full day. We took her offroading a bit in the jeep in the afternoon. The only unfortunate part was the weather being cool and rainy. Still a great time. 

Pr3ssure, I'm fine with helping some time this summer. I've only helped with hammer making but what the hay, We can make the tools to make the tools. I'm pretty sure I got the steps down. Plan for a long day, and Maybe we can get something done. :)

Happy birthday Ayana! :D

Flux core is harder than GMAW but a decent welder with practice. If you can get some time with someone with experience you'll get better fast. Take Das up on it it'll be like going to college. Oh sure a weird, spider, roboctopus, etc. critter filled college but advanced learning for sure. 

Frosty The Lucky.