Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice trowel CC! 

I wanted to make a door knocker with a blacksmith theme. I started out making the anvil and this is what eventually materialized. I got the hammer at HF for about $3.50, and the rest was made from shop scrap. The bar is 5/8". I flattened out the end going through the hammer, split it in half and wedged it in. 

mTRs7Bh.jpg

The wife informed me halfway through that it's not going on her front door. No worries, I just wanted to build it anyway. 

Another yarn bowl, this smaller one made from a spiral of flat bar that starts out bent the hard way and transitions to the easy way. Kind of a proof-of-concept; Lisa says she loves it, but I only see the flaws. 

A661F9B0-C130-4013-899D-E2A3E31A8406.jpeg

BD38074E-CA91-442F-95A7-6B61ED814E47.jpeg

0FD2FF56-280F-4785-925B-9B0D7044D537.jpeg

Thanks Frosty! It tends to appeal more to the males I've shown it to.

JHCC: I like it, it's a functional and visually appealing piece. Nice idea, I may borrow the concept (with your blessing) since I know a spinner who would appreciate it. What's the diameter?

It’s about 4” in diameter and 4” tall. It’s a bit small, but I couldn’t make it much bigger and still be able to fit it through the opening of my gas forge. 

Here’s another I made, a more conventionally raised bowl with a pigtail on the edge to hold the yarn:

A4B602C4-F108-4718-BB47-D123DE3AE504.jpeg

Pretty darned cool door knocker there Ted. 

JHCC, thanks for the pic of what a yarn bowls purpose is, i had no clue and was going to ask how it was used. Now i know what to make mom for mothers day. She is more into quilting but i know she will figure some use for it. 

I'm a big fan of that door knocker. I've been wanting to make one, but haven't picture what I want it to look like....... So now I've got another idea to play with!

18 hours ago, Ted Ewert said:

The wife informed me halfway through that it's not going on her front door. No worries, I just wanted to build it anyway. 

No worries. It would look cool in the door to your shop, or even just on the wall in there. It really is a great piece. 

18 hours ago, Ted Ewert said:

Nice trowel CC! 

Thanks. The hook on the end grabs onto a belt loop very easily so it should be a tool that is easily at hand for her when she's gardening. 

Drew out the handles on the scrolling pliers a bit longer:

6222DBEC-D555-4B28-95B7-2937D3D75F1F.jpeg

And made another yarn bowl, which I like more than yesterday’s (but still am not quite satisfied with):

FE499BC6-EF53-4277-885B-8C3F12406402.jpeg

A649F67E-6C23-4CA4-AA09-E6CFF9800AA9.jpeg

10FB41AB-27B8-45AB-81FC-5C1CAA9CFAE0.jpeg

I must say, I’m learning a lot about working flat bar the hard way. 

Ted, I showed the door knocker to my wife and she said she would love to have that on the door. I would pinch your idea, but I know I couldn't make a beautifully machined anvil top like that. It's gone into my inspirations file anyway.  Lovely work, sir.

Ha ha. That's good. Sort of thing I would expect from an Australian!! Except we would call it a dunny, not a bathroom.

I shudder to think what the resident IFI punsters will do with this one.

On 5/5/2019 at 6:41 PM, ausfire said:

I showed the door knocker to my wife and she said she would love to have that on the door.

Thanks Aus! Your wife is a keeper. The anvil wasn't difficult and only took about an hour to make. I used a piece of 2" x 1/2" flat stock and cut it to 5". I cut the horn out with my portable bandsaw, then shaped it on the 2x72" sander (a hand grinder would work with a couple different grit flapper discs). The hardie was mostly made on the drill press. 4 small holes in the corners and a big hole in the middle. Then just file it square. I also sanded and waxed it, but at a lower temperature so it didn't change color. 

On 5/5/2019 at 7:56 PM, ThomasPowers said:

Door Knocker:  You mean nutcracker---just put it on the end table with a bowl of pecans!

LOL, maybe I'll stick it on the front door with a bowl of nuts next to it.

On 5/5/2019 at 6:49 PM, BillyBones said:

Built a "bathroom" in the shop today, for some reason the old lady wont use it.

I assume the other side of that wall is your neighbor's yard...

Excessively round edges and no closing spaces came to my mind at first glance. Deb will be home tonight I'll show her and get the opinion of the family spinner.  Being a little wavy doesn't take away from the bowl at all,  spinning and knitting aren't perfect crafts a little wobble in the flow is a good thing. 

Ted: The only thing I'd do different with the hammer knocker is to make the entire back plate an anvil. Aim the peep through the hardy hole.

I REALLY like the nutcracker idea Thomas! Needs a couple itsy bitsy pairs of tongs to hold the nuts while cracking and maybe fire tools to pick the meat out of shells. That idea has a LOT of potential.

Frosty The Lucky.

Making two leafinghammers, some clover-leafes and my first hardyfuller

Leafinghammer.jpg

Clover.jpg

Fuller.jpg

Leafinghammers are inspired from Mark Asperey´s books and the fuller has been made using the headingtool in the same books.... Yes I´m a great fan of Mark :)

Ted, nah just into the weeds behind the shop.

So i made my first hammer today. Started with a block of 4140, 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 x 6. Of course i had no drifts for such a critter so them had to be made also. One is the pin from a Jeep rear end, well a piece of it. The rear end blew up and i rebuilt it about 2 months ago. One is a 1" ball punch from harbor freight that came in a set, quite good steel i was not expecting. then a piece of spring steel at 5/8 round. I first cut off a piece to make the peen end, then drilled a 1/2" hole in the middle. I would have had it crooked as all get out it i just tried to punch. Got him good and hot and drifted the holes. 

So here it is, the punches are ordered spring steel, diff pin, ball punch. The ball punch made the hole hourglass shaped for me.

20190506_192815.thumb.jpg.05a9bfe1543f96739ff85efb8baa8c6c.jpg

20190506_192907.thumb.jpg.9327f7498cfc51fbdce28a058a4ee453.jpg

20190506_192933.thumb.jpg.68083b35543ecd4026caf62a1e15d15c.jpg

Ran out of time to finish dressing. But over all including making the punches, 5 hours. A little more clean up then to heat treat.

Any suggestions on heat treating 4140?

Oh i almost forgot as it sits 3# on the nose. So after dressing just a touch under.