Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Daswulf

• Frosty

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jhcc, 

That's so cool. I might have to give that a try. Folk round here would love that. 

Pnut,

Definatly too much. But she laughs at it now and it has turned into a running joke played on each of the younger females in the family the first time they get preggers. Though we now let them in that its a joke after a few minutes. 

Made my first damascus project this weekend. I started out with chainsaw chain and ended up with a small knife. It was a fun Little project. Still need to get the hang on making handels and scabbards. I ended up with a little gap between the knife and the scabbard

IMG_20190428_135720.jpg

IMG_20190428_133921.jpg

IMG_20190428_133914.jpg

On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 12:05 AM, ThomasPowers said:

Forge a punch to make the eyepunch. Drill a void in that punch before hardening. However a small cone in the eyepunch will overheat and wear fast.  Why not just use a separate punch to make the pupil? 

Yes, that's the way I have always done them. The thing is - with a domed punch to make the eye, it is very easy for the second punch to slip off the domed surface. You don't want cross-eyed ram. I get most of them right, but just thought there may be an easier way.

Recently with rams I have given them a slotted pupil and that's easier, but with longhorn bulls they still need a round eye spot.

ELB; I think I'd rather climb in a wooden barrel full of bobcats and rattlesnakes and have it set on fire and rolled down a 3 mile, 25% grade hill than mess with a Pregnant Woman.   OTOH rubbing my wife's feet and back produced comments like "turn down your halo the glare is starting to annoy the next town over!"

10 hours ago, ADHD-forge said:

I ended up with a little gap between the knife and the scabbard

That's what spacers are for. I use felt and epoxy, felt comes in paper sized sheets at the local sewing and craft supply. Jo Anne's fabrics by name. I just pressed blanks between a counter top and a brick with wax paper as a release agent. I chose grass green but the color selection is huge. Paper and epoxy works just fine too. Years ago an acquaintance was collecting dryer lint, pressing and gluing it for lamp shades. Just wash and dry the right color blankets or just pick one from Salvation Army and cut it up. Hmmm?

Not a bad blade by the way, you got a nice pattern. 

Frosty The Lucky. 

On 4/28/2019 at 2:14 AM, Frosty said:

Nice stock rack Fowllife. Are those galvy guard rail posts on the bottom? 

Frosty The Lucky.

Yeah, guardrail post for the base, and an old I beam for the upright. 

I finally had a few minutes to fire the forge up today. I’m ashamed to admit it’s the first time in probably 3 months or more, just been too busy with other stuff. After my second failed attempt at forge welding I decided to switch gears and make a second go at some bottle openers. Making some progress, but need a little more refining. 

4D3F245C-60EC-48ED-A55B-26ECCE7543EF.jpeg

Something a bit different. Made a "1" ricecrispie treat cutter for Elizabeth to make favours for my daughters party this weekend. Also my first cookie cutter. Made in stainless steel. Certainly learned some things. A little more cleanup and its ready for trial.

Took forever to find my old saw blade sharpening vise that I knew I had to do the main bending. Lol, it was right in front of me a few times looking. Time to get this place organized tor the thousanth time.

20190430_222529.thumb.jpg.a91458fc12100a321329bae5ba962ad4.jpg

20190430_222547.thumb.jpg.90378c459b6c7a096ccdbe0d5f884c95.jpg

20190430_223926.thumb.jpg.9c8314f3c6056057fff68f579a636a1e.jpg

It's a cool vise, and it worked out bending this stainless sheet around.  I absolutely love the little belt grinder. I got one for work to grind welds, and liked it so much that I just had to get one for home as well. 

In the process of making the stand for my leg vise finally. I've got these two big brackets I'm welding to some 3/16" steel and I'm gonna bolt the beam to them. Thinking about using something to run from the beam to the brackets to tighten them up for extra security. I can never remember what they are called. The things that you turn the middle piece to tighten the screws on either end. 

image.jpg

When I made my stand, I didn't have the right piece of pipe to fit the end in. However, I realized that it was the flat plate the bottom of the foot was resting on that was absorbing the force of the blows; the pipe was just to keep it from sliding around. I therefore welded three little blocks around where the foot rests, which do a perfectly fine job. I've since acquired the right piece of pipe, but it hasn't been worth the bother to make the change.

Alright. Other than securing the bottom of the leg I finished it. I think I might go back here in a bit but I've been at it since like 9. Should I leave the base as is or should I take a little length off. I think it's good since I can stand on it though. 

image.jpg

Definitely leave it long, it's kind of narrow so you'll need all the stability you can get. Just wrap a piece of rod around the pin on the end of the leg and weld it(the RING!) to the plate. The vise can hold it in place while you tack it. Just be careful NOT to weld the vise to the stand too. hmmmm? ;)

Looking pretty good, keep at it.

Frosty The Lucky.