I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

24 minutes ago, Cannon Cocker said:

How are you planning on attaching that hook to the wall?

Via the hole I drilled. I'm not that great at this style yet, I prefer making them with the build in nail. Although it's the best I've done like this. 

image.jpg

• Replies 26.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Daswulf

• Frosty

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Pr3ssure said:

I'm not that great at this style yet,

You're getting there, it's a decent looking hook, nice finish. It's harder to get twists concentric than it looks. Use the counter punch first then punch the hole, it's much easier order to get right. Your hook could use a finial on the end of the hook to prevent it poking holes in clothes. Something wide enough it isn't pokey. It can be any number of attractive finial treatments: scroll, (of course) a ball, fish tale, etc. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Yeah, I need scroll tongs or to make some scroll pliers. I got it over a little on the anvil but it just wasn't wanting to curl for me. I need to make some good tongs for small stuff like that, the v bits I have are old and need a new rivet. They hold half inch or bigger stock. 

Learn to make pig tails and scrolls on the anvil with a hammer. Practice is the key to getting it right. 

Remove the rivet from your V bit tongs and replace it with a new rivet. It should be a simple fix. 

8 hours ago, Frosty said:

Use the counter punch first then punch the hole, it's much easier order to get right.

Thanks Frosty I was going to ask about the order. Punch or countersink first. 

Pnut (Mike)

Finial scrolls are NOT the place for scroll tongs, you're just turning 1/4"-1/2" and rolling it tight. That's over the edge to start and finish on the face, takes seconds.

Twisting a taper isn't easy to get right. Practice practice practice.

Frosty The Lucky.

Mr. S. Fiddle,

(a.k.a.  Neil),

Your copper ferrule idea is an excellent one

A slight variation on that theme is to purchase plumber, copper end caps for pipes.

I drill a proper sized hole, through the end cap to accommodate the tang of the respective file.

They are not expensive.  Certainly cheaper than the ferrules that specialty wood stores sell. (which are not really that expensive).  

But the end caps are thicker and more robust.

Cheers everyone,

Bedtime for the,

SLAG.

25 minutes ago, Mudman said:

Made my first bangle(?)

Not bad at all. Both tapers look pretty even and fairly matched, well done.

Next time you take pics of a product like this how about turning it around so we can get a look at the knot? 

Frosty The Lucky.

My daughter in law requested some shelf brackets for her bathroom. She wanted something unique and "blacksmithy looking", so here's what I came up with.

iQzYfJq.jpg

I made her a pair of these, with sort of a sun motif. I learned a long time ago never to pick out colors for females. So, I told her to go to the hardware store and pick out whatever color she wanted, and to give me the can of spray paint. I also told her to buy some shelves she likes and to give me the width and distance she wants between the shelves. After 34 years of marriage I try and cover as many bases as I can before I start the project. If she doesn't like them, I'll be happy to take them back, repaint, and use them in my own house.