I Forge Iron

Show me your anvil stands

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

If you make your tool holders sturdy enough you can use them as handles to move the stump around.

In general I claim it is not a good idea to try to pick up and move both the anvil and stump at the same time for systems where the anvil just drops in---had a couple of college kids try that and ended up dumping my 134# HB onto it's nose on the concrete shop floor. No damage to the HB but the floor will have that divot *forever*.

The stand is White Oak. I used a router to cut in the top so the Anvil would sit into the stump. I also tapered the sides of the stump with a chain saw to make the bottom a touch more stable. 170lb HB sits on top with a rubber mat between the anvil and stump to help with the ring.

2012-09-03_13-57-23_883.jpg

Wow! That looks great, nice job!!

Thanks, I had fun with making it, and being a visual person I wanted it to look interesting as well as be functional.. I thought using 3/4" button head rivets to construct it seemed appropriate.

2" x 4" x 1/4" legs filled with sand, 1/4" plate feet on top of 2" Red Oak blocks, 1" thick mounting plate, 2 layers of 30# roofing felt between the anvil (155 lb. Hay Budden) and mounting plate, 3/8" drop-in concrete anchors & Grade 8 bolts fastening the stand to the slab.

Fabrication details - http://www.iforgeiro...l +stand +build

AnvilStand01.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I thought I'd add my stand to this thread. It is made from a couple of bits of I-beam, cut with my plasma and welded together in the centre, plus a 20mm plate on top and for the feet.

The shape allows my feet to get nice and close, personally I don't like being restricted by a wide based anvil stand (stump etc).

I drilled a few holes for future tool-holders etc etc, plus some in the feet in case I want to bolt it down, but I haven't needed to yet, its a 5 cwt anvil which helps.

I used plasticine / modelling clay in between the anvil and stand, just a thin layer. It doesn't ring, move, wobble or waste energy. I recommend it.

Cheers, Al.

post-3298-0-97246800-1351265514_thumb.jp

post-3298-0-79882300-1351265527_thumb.jp

post-3298-0-87259200-1351265538_thumb.jp

200 lb Kholswa anvil, on a large seasoned oak stump, 3 ft deep in the ground. Having it that deep, on a stump that large and heavy definetly helps when it comes to moving big steel. Straps around the stump for the most often used hammers and hardy tools

2012-07-04_19-34-09_790.jpg

Never realized that I hadn't contributed, so here's mine!

She started life as a pile of 1"x1" solid bar that my dad got from his work. There wasn't a straight piece in the whole lot and most of it had deep gouges from the machine it came from. Nasty stuff that worked like rebar, but it was free and available!!

Anvilstand.jpg
AnvilampStandassemblycomplete.jpg

I wanted to do something different to hold the anvil in place. The anvil weighs over 300# so I'm not too concerned with it bouncing or walking - a couple of big bolts should suffice. Plus, the bolt under the hardy makes for a convenient place to hook a spring-loaded hold-down.

Anvilstandlockingboltdetail.jpg

• 1 month later...

This is a fascinating thread that demonstrates the creativity of the folks who visit this site.   There are a lot of different anvil stands made from many different materials.   I assume much of this is just making do with what is available as well as some folks who work to acquire specific materials to accomplish a specific outcome.   Anyway BRAVO to all!  

My anvil stand is something that I am continually critical of and also one that I continually wish to modify or tweak but also one that works.    Changing/improving it is a balance between using the anvil and making a new stand to support it.   I tend to create more scale around it than work to make it better.  But then... I am basically lazy.

Here is an anvil stand I just finished fabricating for my 400# West anvil. It started with a heavy piece of H-beam. The legs were cut from some 3/4 x 8" flat bar and welded on slightly splayed out. I decided to enclose the open center of the H-beam by putting 1/2" plate doors on either side with some heavy self closing hinges. This leaves a pretty good size storage area inside the stand for hardy tooling and or swage blocks. I have room for three hammers on the ends under the heel and horn but still need to add a couple more holders for them.

Top plate is 1" Steel plate drilled and tapped for the clamp bolts. The bottom of this anvil wasn't planed very flat so to get it to set level I formed in a trough and seated the anvil in 15 lbs of molten lead. Dead solid and that alone killed most of the ring. I topped off the lead trough with Belzona (industrial liquid metal) to contain the lead so no risk of exposure. The black finish is just used oil from my diesel painted on and rubbed mostly off....slows down the rust. Total weight on the stand was around 350#. I really don't expect to move it often but if neccessary I can get it around the shop on a heavy hand truck.  Any way here are a couple pics of the works.  Ed

WestAnvilstandtackedup_zps07172e66.jpg

WestAnvilBelzonasealatbase_zps62cbadcc.j

WestAnvilsurfacedetail2_zpsf53b8986.jpg

WestAnvilstandopendoor_zps5c7d1f46.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...