I Forge Iron

Show me your anvil stands

1 hour ago, Forging Carver said:

What weight is that anvil for a reference?

155 lb. Hay Budden. 

1" thick base plate

2" x 4" x 1/4" tube legs with 1" threaded plugs in the feet, legs filled with sand. 

Two layers of 30# roofing felt between anvil and base plate. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welded up a bunch of 1" square stock.  The legs are two bars of 1" square married together.  

If you don't have access to big plate or the like, welding up a bunch of bars to make a plate certainly gets the job done.  According to my calculations, she weighs in around 150#.

Anvilstand.thumb.jpg.8e1acf8237252fcb64b

In a few more weeks I will be finally ready to mount my anvil. My luck I welded up a forge, bought an anvil, and a leg vise, and 3 discs in my neck give out. The neck doesn't hurt , but the arm is killing me. Hopefully it will be corrected by next month. Back to my anvil. I have maple and cherry logs big enough to mount my anvil. I also have enough pressure treated 2 x 6's to make a few stands. I also have plenty 2" diameter pipe . I have a 93 lb. anvil, which would make the best stand?  Do to back problems it will be mounted so the face is no lower then 30 inches. Any suggestions?

2 hours ago, Bud in PA said:

In a few more weeks I will be finally ready to mount my anvil. My luck I welded up a forge, bought an anvil, and a leg vise, and 3 discs in my neck give out. The neck doesn't hurt , but the arm is killing me. Hopefully it will be corrected by next month. Back to my anvil. I have maple and cherry logs big enough to mount my anvil. I also have enough pressure treated 2 x 6's to make a few stands. I also have plenty 2" diameter pipe . I have a 93 lb. anvil, which would make the best stand?  Do to back problems it will be mounted so the face is no lower then 30 inches. Any suggestions?

OWE!!! :o Another person with blown disks. How are you treating them?

Frosty The Lucky.

Spanky's starting to overdo now since her neck surgery. I used to hang upside down from a fence rail to help easy tension in my back but can't since the TBI and related broken neck, my inner ear is all screwed up, inversion has me reeling for a couple hours. I'm not griping my back's in surprisingly good condition and my only neck trouble is where it connects with my skull. The occipital condyle is one of the skull fractures and my #1 cervical vertebra(?) got crunched a bit in association. Anyway most of your skull is sinus and mine tends to get stuffed up where it was cracked gives me sinus pressure headaches that start where skull and spine meet and spread all the way around. Hanging upside down is a B-A-D idea. I change sinus meds to avoid building a resistance.

Oh GEEZE I'm comparing ailments again! Isn't that something the old folk do? Arghhhhhh!

Frosty The Lucky.

I just finished this for my new Peddinghaus Nr 12. The design was inspired by Kubiak's on the Anvil height thread. Each section of 2x4 is individually glued and screwed so it is very solid. I made mine to the best height for me but it could be built with about 1" total adjustment up or down with packing pieces within then upper and lower surrounds. Time to get smithin'!

CadairIMG_2076.thumb.jpg.e20c09afa0ce3dbf93c54IMG_2078.thumb.jpg.abf0d3b0febac24a0dcb9IMG_2079.thumb.jpg.1b0260eac273e18c11f85

On 3/12/2016 at 8:54 PM, Frosty said:

Spanky's starting to overdo now since her neck surgery. I used to hang upside down from a fence rail to help easy tension in my back but can't since the TBI and related broken neck, my inner ear is all screwed up, inversion has me reeling for a couple hours. I'm not griping my back's in surprisingly good condition and my only neck trouble is where it connects with my skull. The occipital condyle is one of the skull fractures and my #1 cervical vertebra(?) got crunched a bit in association. Anyway most of your skull is sinus and mine tends to get stuffed up where it was cracked gives me sinus pressure headaches that start where skull and spine meet and spread all the way around. Hanging upside down is a B-A-D idea. I change sinus meds to avoid building a resistance.

Oh GEEZE I'm comparing ailments again! Isn't that something the old folk do? Arghhhhhh!

Frosty The Lucky.

Is there a thread for that? lol if so my profile could be changed to say "Youngest old man on the site" herniation at s-1 l-5 with stenosis and "total disc collapse?"Going to have a fusion in the next month or so,the neuro i spoke with told me after all this time of doctors telling me to try this or try that they should have just faced the facts 6 months in and sent me for surgery.....baaaah enough of that.People LIFT WITH YOUR LEGS.

42 minutes ago, odblacksmith said:

Is there a thread for that? lol if so my profile could be changed to say "Youngest old man on the site" herniation at s-1 l-5 with stenosis and "total disc collapse?"Going to have a fusion in the next month or so,the neuro i spoke with told me after all this time of doctors telling me to try this or try that they should have just faced the facts 6 months in and sent me for surgery.....baaaah enough of that.People LIFT WITH YOUR LEGS.

A thread for which? Bad disks or occipital condyl fractures? There are a bunch of folk here who have had disk surgery and vertebra routered for stenosis. I'm not one fortunately but they're here.

Frosty The Lucky.

55, ex airborne, 2 hip replacements, knackered back, knees shot. As my old Regimental Sergeant Major used to say "If you're looking for sympathy, it's in the dictionary, somewhere between s#!t and syphilis":)

Okay, good idea, I won't talk about the Ti pins & strips in me nor the scary barbed SS screws they use so the bone grows into them and they can't back out.

Truth is once I'm done with the metal in me Deb can sell it off. Get your bids in early! ;)

Frosty The Lucky.

On 3/15/2016 at 3:42 PM, Frosty said:

Okay, good idea, I won't talk about the Ti pins & strips in me nor the scary barbed SS screws they use so the bone grows into them and they can't back out.

Truth is once I'm done with the metal in me Deb can sell it off. Get your bids in early! ;)

Frosty The Lucky.

When I die I am not going to be buried, my wife will scrap me.:D