I Forge Iron

Show me your anvil stands

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anvil, thank. I have chased an other stump and will do your thrick. Looks clean. Waiting for more time and a space for the enginehoist to pass amd lift the anvil from the old stump to its new home

In the meantime i use a pallet as a stand (happend to be by accident the correct height).

• 4 weeks later...

Just finished setting up my new stand. It's for two anvil's, the main anvil is above a hunk of pine tree that is about 16" in diameter. It was one of the three trees that destroyed my old pole barn... Figured it was fitting to use it in the new build. The base has a H shaped brace of 22 inch PT 2x6's on the bottom fitted into a square I cut into that side of the log about 12.5x12.5. then was buried about 18 inches to get the rough height I figured I wanted. The other side has a pair of 4x4's each about 5 foot long buried till about 2 feet are above the ground with a concrete brick at the bottom of the holes.. And a 22 inch long hardwood crossbeam about 6" underground. It's all tied together with a wood frame. And topped with a pair of 2x8's to reach the final height I wanted (about wrist height. Knuckle is definitely too low, so was thumb).

The anvils have silicone caulk under them, and then were tied down using some hefty #12- 4+" long screws... Yes I committed the sin of drilling mounting holes in my anvil's... My old one already had it done years ago, and was one of those inexpensive steel anvils that were available back in the late 90's early 2000's - most actually came out of Russia or similar places. My new one is just one of the Vevor 132lb ones not something fancy.

In the future I'll build in some tool storage and possibly a hot rack in the gap between the log and post's...

P_20230415_162245.jpg

P_20230415_162250.jpg

I went all out for mine over the winter.  I built a chimney style stand, welded rebar on the bottom of 5/16" plate, filled the chimney with concrete, topped the whole thing with mortar and set the plate in the concrete.  Then I welded some 1/2-13 bolts to the plate and bolted my old Trenton down with angle iron. I also welded a piece of chain on the plate with a piece of flatstock on the other end to step on for a good hold-down.  

20230407_194804.jpg

• 2 months later...

My new anvil stand and post vise stand.  These were made with a lot of help from Dave Collier/Broken Hammer Forge in Henderson, MD.  I can’t thank him enough.

Now I can get back to work!

IMG_1297.jpeg

IMG_1298.jpeg

Following up: this isn’t my forging area.  I took them out of the back of my truck and set them in the yard, at the edge of my driveway, during my lunch break.  I’ll move them into my forging area later today.

JHCC: I forge outdoors, but my forging area is in the back corner of my yard by the shed.  It was more about getting them out of the back of my truck and inside my fence line.

Frosty: Yes, that’s my vise.  It was resting upside down at that moment.  Once I get it in place on its stand, I’ll take another photo.  I need to drill the holes into the plate first so I can mount it.

Yes, I've seen a leg vise from that position. I was asking about the stand next to it. Looking back at my post I wasn't very clear at all. 

You'll love the triangle anvil stand and I look forward to hearing how  the triangular vise stand works. Or do I have it wrong?

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty: Sorry for misunderstanding you.  Yes, the second photo was for the leg vise stand.  As a matter of fact, here's a picture of both of them.  The leg vise is sitting in seated in the bottom "catch" ring and held to the table with a c-clamp so I can mark out the mounting holes.

Both are tripods, based on the information I've found here on the forums and from a few blacksmiths.  It's the best option since my forging area gets stashed away into my shed when not in use for long periods of time, bad weather, etc.  Some day, I'll have a structure to have a shop to work in.

anvil_and_vise_stands.jpg