I Forge Iron

Show me your anvil stands

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For my smaller traveling anvils I use this type of stand so I can easily move them around at events.I don't recommend this type of stand for anvils much over 150 pounds for they try to get away from you when tipping.

The front two anvils are a 100 pound Fisher and a 120 pound Trenton with a Fisher in the back at 150.56b3a82a99e70_006(2).thumb.JPG.658bc0699

The above small Fisher was donated to a local museum last year for their small smithy that I get to play in a few times a year.

Rear view showing a swing out tray I made later on.

56b3a87064f2a_004(2).thumb.JPG.ef6170744

For one of my maim shop anvils (this one at 406 pounds) I made this three legged stand. The legs are filled with rammed decomposed granite to absorb vibration and add to stability.

56b3a9e9a372d_009(3).thumb.JPG.da26e1be9

13 minutes ago, Jakesshop said:

For my smaller traveling anvils I use this type of stand so I can easily move them around at events.I don't recommend this type of stand for anvils much over 150 pounds for they try to get away from you when tipping.

The front two anvils are a 100 pound Fisher and a 120 pound Trenton with a Fisher in the back at 150.

[photo]

The above small Fisher was donated to a local museum last year for their small smithy that I get to play in a few times a year.

Rear view showing a swing out tray I made later on.

[photo]

For one of my maim shop anvils (this one at 406 pounds) I made this three legged stand. The legs are filled with rammed decomposed granite to absorb vibration and add to stability.

[photo]

Could you put a T-handle in the loops on the back (in the middle photo) to give you more leverage moving it around?

4 minutes ago, JHCC said:

Could you put a T-handle in the loops on the back (in the middle photo) to give you more leverage moving it around?

That is correct. I don't have a picture with the handle in from the back. You can see the locking bolt for the handle hanging by the small chain. Highly recommend that!

I used square tubing on my later stands I made and had a better fit and easier to make.

The first picture shows them with the handles installed.

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing special, but better than the stack of bricks...

1 1/4" x 1/8" bar, with pieces of 1" angle welded on for reinforcing the bolt.  4x4, 5/16" chain, 3/8" turnbuckles.

The anvil is 120lbs.  Moves well with a hand cart.

image.jpg

Edited by Quench.
The picture is back...

6 minutes ago, Quench. said:

Nothing special, but better than the stack of bricks...

1 1/4" x 1/8" bar, with pieces of 1" angle welded on for reinforcing the bolt.  4x4, 5/16" chain, 3/8" turnbuckles.

The anvil is 120lbs.  Moves well with a hand cart.

Nice! Do you have any problems with it twisting?

Well, I cannot reply...disappearing post, repeatedly.

Can't reply with more than about a 1 liner.  Very, very frustrating.  No adhesive. Wood needs to dry and shrink and still be able to be tightened.  Had a lot more detail, but the forum won't save the post. 

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, PVF Al said:

Classic stand Harry, everything handy and ready to work.

I wanted something a bit more fancy, but I had to get my hammers out of the way so I threw this stand together. As it turns out - this is PERFECT!

I made U-shaped spikes out of rebar to anchor the anvil to the stump.