I Forge Iron

Story behind your screen name?

Glenn

The better people to ask would be my parents but they are gone.   I was named after my maternal and paternal grandfathers.  I have never quite understood the rationale behind a nom de web, particularly on a website such as IFI.  I can see it in certain other places as a security measure but here it seems to be overkill.  This does not seem to be a place where there is much risk or much to hide.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand." 

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 hours ago, George N. M. said:

I have never quite understood the rationale behind a nom de web

Nor did I, when I joined IFI.  The year that I joined, 2013, was one of the worst in my life, a mid-life crisis on steroids.  Anachronist58 is a reflection of rising from severe cognitive impairment, and despair.  Thus, for me, the nom de web represents my year of birth, and how I began relating to the world around me.  I usually sign isolated posts with my actual name:

Robert Taylor

36 minutes ago, Balbasarado said:

Geez do I feel foolish.

Got another one guys! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've been going by Frosty since pre-school and the Lucky addition is the result of surviving the birch tree. 

It's funny, Saturday a rather large group of folks moved into the 3 spaces next to us in the RV park, one class A, one class C (motor homes) and a couple commuter cars. Big family, lots of cooking and singing to a boom box in Tagalog. Didn't understand a word and they quieted down reasonably early.  Good neighbors.

Tagalog doesn't come up that often for me.  Pretty cool.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 4 weeks later...

I have 2 nom de web  I use.  The one here is because of a computer repair biz that never went anywhere.  I just used that old email to set up forum id's.  been that way for several years now.

My other is based on one of my favorite characters from my favorite authors.  I use that one for all the more personal stuff.

I always kind of likened the made up name since CB handles were a thing.

Business in front and party in the back is the formula for the mullet. I don’t have any pics of me doing anything smithing related and I refuse to take selfies. I felt that you can see the absence of hair on the sides and the exaggerated length in the back from that vantage. Hope that helps. 

Let me know if this helps explain the screen name? 20BD138F-789B-4E87-9FCA-43855AEEAE9A.jpeg.50ff7c696d5bb5939add396c51f92d04.jpeg

I believe that explains it nicely. Not that we'll remember the story but that's okay as long as we know there is one we're good.

The story of the Lucky part of my login is in the prayers section cir. September 2009.

Frosty The Lucky.

I've been called Pnut for about 35 yrs. My long time friends have even shortened it to just calling me Nut.  I had a skateboard that was issued by the pro skater Ned "peanut" Brown and someone didn't know my name while we were skating so yelled, "Hey Peanut Brown!", and it stuck. 

Pnut

• 4 months later...

Billy Bones was the name of a pirate that sailed with Capt. Flint in the book "Treasure Island". He is the one Jim Hawkins got the map from. I was not sure of the site when i first signed up and with anything internet wanted to keep  as much personal info out as possible. So i used the name of one of my favorite pirates. 

I in all honesty have a pirate in my family, you have never heard of him becuase he was a successful pirate. Based in Madagascar he was eventually run off becuase the natives did not take to kindy to his selling them into slavery. His name was Adam Baldridge. So pirates are kind of something i am into. 

Jason is my real name, if anyone is interested.  And yes my mom named me that, my dad was in Vietnam at the time, becuase of the Greek hero Jason.  

I am pretty well known for my love of goats (like y'all couldn't tell) and at the time, I thought being more anonymous online would be better. So, crazy goat lady it was. My name is actually Michelle (Hockett), but I've been called Chellie all my life. I've thought about actually changing my screen name to my real name but I don't know how many would know it's me and don't want to confuse anyone ;)

My initials are TWG, and I'm built like a twig. My name's Tanner, but if I made that my screen name, you'd think I was bragging about having leather working skills. Turns out I hate the smell and mess of leather. Life's got a sense of humor I guess :D

On 2/20/2021 at 3:14 PM, CrazyGoatLady said:

I've thought about actually changing my screen name to my real name but I don't know how many would know it's me and don't want to confuse anyone ;)

I doubt if you changed it it would confuse anyone, especially if you kept your avatar picture.  :)  I too would like to change my screen name to my real name, for different reasons I'm sure.  I don't care for it much anymore and wish I would have been more careful starting out!

Scott