I Forge Iron

Story behind your screen name?

Glenn

Fe-Wood comes from the name of my business, IronWood. IronWood is ALWAYS used, so I turned to the elemental name FE for iron. I came up with the business name because I have been working wood and iron as long as I can remember.
Peter, almost as common as John...

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fe-Wood comes from the name of my business, IronWood. IronWood is ALWAYS used, so I turned to the elemental name FE for iron. I came up with the business name because I have been working wood and iron as long as I can remember.
Peter, almost as common as John...

I considered putting FE-C on a license plate once but am too cheap for vanity plates.

Feulose would be a version that'd filter the slowboats for you. ;)

If you'll click on "User CP" at the top of the page and edit your profile to show where you are you'll probably discover other smiths in your area willing to get together. It's also handy for us old farts so we don't have to try remembering who lives where. That way if we're in your neighborhood and need a nap or warm lunch we can look you up. :rolleyes:

Frosty

I may as well jump in here too.

My log in is not my birth name. :o I was born David Goldsborough, my birth parents were young teens, and I was placed in the orphanage. adopted and renamed Steve Sells later.

I am a proud member of a group that assists adoptees in getting medical information, who in case you don't know are 2nd rate citizens in the US, and in many cases are not allowed medical nor ancestry histories, and many provided at adoption are Illegally faked, mine was.

Through my helping others I found a lead to the agency that delt with my adoption placement, as well as a small snippet of a law change in Michigan where I was born that allowed updated medical info, 6 months later I was on the phone talking to my Birth Mother.

There are registries where people can place their names to make known their desire to make contact, when a match is found, they can talk to an Intermediary, (just in case) and my Birth mother stated she wanted to talk to me.

so with Birth Mother (known 7 years now), Birth Dad (never met but have info), and the family I grew up with, I have 1 brother, and 7 sisters, thats a lot of Xmas cards. also I am Steve Sells, I just didn't start out that way;)

Edited by steve sells

• 2 weeks later...

Darin is my first name. Wicks is the last.

i chose Wroughton for all the obvious reasons.....i've been a little misunderstood at times (and i don't think i'm alone in that aspect when i'm around other metalheads) and i really like to salvage and play around with puddled wrought iron and whatever else thats looks forgeable. have you ever put a red hot piece of cast iron in your power hammer thinking you had a big piece of steel? no need for coffee if you haven't imbibed yet. you're wide awake and that bm you were hoping for is now taken care of and you'll need a change of undies.

maybe its just a rotten brain?

i think Apprenticeman needs a sidekick......like a talking crosspeen or sumpthin.....um...
Whacky the crosspeen?
Steamy the slack tub?
Fussy the forge?

For many years when someone botched something amongst my coworkers, friends, and even family you hear it tossed as a label. More of a bark..."Hack!"

Well I am the original.

Some people have great skills and natural talents that make them shine. It can be any number of great attributes that distinguishes them from a pack.

I have none.....

My only claim to fame has to be my unmatched ability to plod through things to figure them out and achieve a given goal. Never rigged, but DEFINATLEY creative in use of resources.

Never instructed, never experienced, but ALWAYS stubbourn, oppinionated, and ready with both feet. Ready to LEARN.

Many tries and many failures....many great wins for all hack-kind mixed in.

When I got into making knives I just thought it natural to call myself a hacksmith when I was pounding on the anvil and it instantly stuck.

So when I started my forge. I naturally named it Hack Knife Co.

Even My business cards read "Hacksmith" as my title.

Welcome To Wolf Mountain Center Web siteWill Pryor is a friend of mine who I volunteer for. He told me the folks that he bought all of his land from might be interested in selling the last piece which had a 34'x 40' steel barn, and a 16'x16' camp on 6.5 acres. So I bought it. Having a passion for the wolves and nature center, and being on the same hill, I named my new shop Wolf Mountain Forge. Scott

• 2 weeks later...

Cool Hand....well now. That was my military call sign given to me by Staff Sergeant Larry Hall just moments after coming out of a rather interesting crisis situation. It has stood as my moniker for over 18 years now. Hopefully, I can continue to earn it.

Cool Hands Cave is the name of my smithy too...

• 1 year later...

My name is John Leet its the same name given to the other 10,000 male Leets around the world, I decided on "Calala" as it is the suburb where I live at Tamworth Australia. It is an aboriginal word meaning "place of big battle".

A number of years ago I was selling some muscle car parts on Ebay, and needed a handle. I was working part time for a gunsmith, but that was taken along with many variations. My old business partner came up with BIGGUNDOCTOR. He mentioned that depending on how it was read it could also be taken as BIGGUN' DOCTOR :P I am not a plastic surgeon, nor am I that big, but no one else was using it. I have worked with some big guns though; various .50 cals/M2HB's, MK19 40mm, Anzio IronWorks 20mm, etc. Over the years BIGGUNDOCTOR just stuck, and I use it on all of my internet forums except one. For some reason Gunbroker wouldn't let me use my bidding handle for the forums, so I went with Stripper-Tipper instead B)

In regards to handles to real names. I find handles easier to separate from real names. There are a lot of Toms, Jims, Ricks, etc. There will only be one Frosty, Monstermetal, Bentiron1946, Nakedanvil, Forgemaster, Ianinsa, etc..

BIGGUNDOCTOR AKA Walter Hess

when i was a kid, 12 years old, my neighbor/computer mentor/gaming buddy and I decided to find a handle for me online and for gaming. after a few minutes and failed attempts we decided I have a fascination with bladed weapons and thanks to his job keeping our gaming systems "on the cutting edge" as he put it we chose edge. unfortunatly that wasnt available so we looked through the given options and edge9001 was one of those options. I have gone with edge9001 or edge90012 as my handle/sign in/user name ever since.

Bob is the name my mother gave me,I like it cause it`s both short and spelled the same coming or going.
There are many guys named Bob out there in the digital world and everyone would ask "Which Bob is this?" or "Where are you from?". So I just made it Mainely,Bob.
I also go by Daedalus but that`s another story.

Bob Hackett, from Boothbay Maine.

Well to add mine, the orginal name was Smashin' Pumpkin Forge because metal is being smashed and the walls are painted orange. I didn't care for the name because I think of the Punk rock band.

So I went with Bad Creek Blacksmith, being the creek that runs by the house is named that. Well my wife made a nice plaque to hang in the shop and she put Smashin' Pumpkin on it so thats really the shops name and I didn"t want to change it here. My name is Paul Giardini guess it doesn't matter what I use their all long names.

Back when I was in the army, my first station was Germany. Since the post library had internet access and so did my folks, I decided to get an email account for conversing with the folks at home. After looking though and deciding on a free email server, I started trying to get a login name. The variations of my name, ronald payne, were largely taken. Since I needed some thing my folks would recognize as me, I had to come up with something unique. Dad played every instrument with strings and his genre of choice being bluegrass, I started son_of_bluegrass. That is unique enough I haven't found it anywhere else, so if you run across son_of_bluegrass it's probably me.

ron