I Forge Iron

Thomas Powers ICU

TWISTEDWILLOW

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am thankful for All Thomas Powers has contributed here to friends and strangers. His words, experience and wisdom will live on thanks to this forum and those he has touched through meeting him. He was indeed a special individual. 

He has returned home to the light and may his experiences here bring more to that world, and may he meet all his friends and loved ones there in due time. 

I am and will be thankful for knowing him here. I am sad I never met him in person but that is how things go and I hope to meet him on the other side. Till then he will be missed and loved. All his shared experienced will be fondly thought of by us and helpful to others down the road. 

Ringing the anvil and thinking fondly of our friend we will see again in the next world. 

Condolences to his friends and loved ones. 

It breaks my heart! Iron may be eternal, but life is so fragile. The iron in his heart and expressed by his hammer will remain always!

Amazing Grace played on the pipes and the Southwest background couldn't have been better! Thanks for that

My one goal of going to Quad state last fall was to meet Thomas. I spent the day Friday and our paths did not cross, most of the day Saturday till i was heading out. That was when we finally met. Regretfully at that time i was in a crunch and could only spend 10 or so minutes. Even though our face to face meeting was brief, from interacting here i count him among freinds.  

My prayers to his family. 

1 hour ago, Steve Sells said:

Thomas was one of the original IFI curmudgeons, we even have him on an IFI T-shirt, I think he got one when we bumped into each other at quad state a few years ago

If you have pictures or know where I can get one please let me know.

Thom

Student to Thomas - May the gates of heaven be well secured, not because he would break out, but he might do destructive testing on the iron work. 

Direct from a newly discovered wall of the Lascaux Cave drawings. They managed to get proof that the Curmudgeons have been around a lot longer than ever thought before.

The original IFI curmudgeons t-shirt from September 23, 2016 

image.png

Thomas was an amazing man,and I am better for having known him, even if it was just through his wit and charm here.  

There's a hole in my heart...here's to hoping he enjoys the fishing.   You will be missed and remembered with every time there is a laughter that brings me to tears.  

Wife just rescued two more kittens, she was sitting in her recliner yesterday, when all of a sudden I hear a yelp from my wife, and she looks under the blanket.  Little bit had climbed up the chair and latched on in a bit of a sensitive spot during the hike to join her.  Luckily there was no permanent damage and all involved had a great laugh about 10 seconds after.  

Thank you my friend...on to the next adventure.  

I am saddened by the fact I will never got to meet him. However my interactions with Thomas on here and what I have heard through Adlai and others made quite an impression and while I didnt know him well, I will still miss him.

Seeing Adlais post that he had passed was quite heartbreaking.

Just got back from an SCA event, made an announcement about Thomas at one of the courts. I will see if there is a record. Any way I got this notification on my way back. 

Sad news:

The College of Saint Golias lost our beloved blacksmith last Saturday. The services for Master Wilelm the Smith, MLA Thomas Powers, will be held at the Episcopal Church across from New Mexico Tech in Socorro on Wednesday, 5 July at 10:30 am.

Please pass on this information to others who knew him.

The pictures are one of his banners and his laurel stone. Instead of a fancy scroll they carved a stone. It was his scroll of damacles because when he got it they held it over his head. 

Thom, student of Thomas, do you think he has figured out what they make halos out of yet?

KIMG8332.JPG

KIMG8329.JPG

KIMG8311.JPG

Finally stringing some words together. It ant easy. Thank you all for sharing and checking in. 

Home from battlemoor. 

I made an announcement I never wanted to make but one that had to be made. I did my best to tell people in person, at this point I guess I let the web do the rest of the work. 

A laurel leaf has fallen. Watch out it is heavy. 

One of my best friends has decided it was time to ascend and learn what metal made the best halos, how the pearly gates were assembles, how valkery armor is made and may the secret to infernal pitchforks. Thomas Powers. The man that helped forge me into the man I am passed last Saturday. I still can not find words. I will have more information as I can collect and deliver it. 

I thank everyone that shared stories of him with me. Thank you for honoring his memory in story, drink can comradery. 

In his time, he had traveled the known world, working the bloomery crew and forging at Pensic. Adding his anvils Ring to the din and noise at Estrella, Grand Outlandish and even Survived the winds of Battlemoore 1, 2, and beyond, no surprise he always had Outlandishly long tent stakes at hand. I helped him run classes in Narune, Citadel, al-Barran and of course Saint Golias.  (His time back east in Pennsylvania and traveling up and down New Mexico, Colorado, and into Arizona for SCA events where he would teach and demonstrate all day long.)(some of the events were very windy so he had 1/2-3/4 stock he would make into 12"+ tent stakes to help hold down the big tents)

If you wanted to talk metal, you needed to escape before he got you to listen to the spark of divine madness he would instill in you. 

Batu Mongo, Student to Master Wilelm the Smith - May the sparks from his forge light the passion of a thousand smiths.

Image is a pin I made him to celebrate an anniversary. Enameled copper. 

KIMG8309.JPG

Ah, gutted to hear this. I never met him but I benefited a lot from his kind advice and enjoyed his humour.

Strength and love to his family and friends.  I lost my sister a few weeks ago, at her memorial a friend explained grief as ‘love that has nowhere to go.’  I took some comfort from that.