I Forge Iron

Thomas Powers ICU

TWISTEDWILLOW

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coolest thing I saw at the scrap yesterday was a 10 foot stick of 3”x3” square bar

i don’t need it for anything per say… 

but imma trying to think up a justifiable reason to drag it home 

they have an older metal shear 100+ years that probably weighs 10 tons or more settin in there,

I’ve thought about inquiring about too but Id have to borrow a crane to unload it once I got it here,

so that’s kinda on the back burner…

On 1/21/2023 at 4:45 PM, TWISTEDWILLOW said:

Ain’t a single body drinkin beer, wearing ball caps a flip flops or hearing protection!!!

Did you know scale will find its way through the holes in crocks. Not burn through them but find their way around and to the foot. Just saying.

Also I am not sure how to take the resemblance remark... with pride, shock, or.... Wonder if:

• Thomas has a type
  • New Mexico Tech has a type
  • The spark of divine madness changes its vessel to fit its desire.

Thom, Student of Thomas, wondering if I should get a different hat....

Cool stuff from the scrap yard yesterday. Part of the naval gun Thomas has probably mentioned before. An ambulance. And the minion. 

Thom, Student of Thomas, the minion that didn't get that minion at the scrapyard. 

KIMG7118.JPG

KIMG7116.JPG

KIMG7140.JPG

KIMG7138.JPG

KIMG7163.JPG

KIMG7125.JPG

It wouldn't be hard to make up strap on croc spats you know.

Are there plans for the minion's minion? I have a few old propane tanks I've been thinking about making minions or chiminea out of. . . If I can find a large bicycle wheel I could make a minion chiminea riding a velocipede. Hmmm.

Frosty The Lucky. 

I personally enjoyed smithing in crocks and five finger toe shoes. Maybe because I was young and dumb, maybe because Thomas and the others comments were more amusing than the perceived dangers. 

Thomas had to break me of a lot of habits. For example, coming from CA I thought all fire was bad. I used to stop striking so I could chase down a spark. He asked what would burn in a desert. I reminded him CA is a desert and burns all the time. Comparing that memory to when his pant leg caught fire during a good welding run. He calmly told us that he would deal with it in a min. He finished his pass. Put the piece back int he forge and then went to quench his foot. 

Unrelated advice I got, A smart man burns his hand on the steel and learns not to do that again. A wise man sees the smart man and learns how not to do that. I was told I should try and be both wise and smart. Instead, I keep burring my hand and telling others not to be like me..... Well I am stubborn so I got that going for me. 

Thom, student of Thomas, hoping to follow in his scorched foot steps. Maybe a little wiser.  

Thom, I don't know if Thomas ever told you about his MOB connection?

We were part of a group in central Ohio and we were all blacksmiths. The group in Troy Ohio were Southern Ohio Forge and Anvil (SOFA), so we thought that we needed a spiffy name. Since we were in the middle of the state we chose Mid Ohio Blacksmiths (MOB)

We had 1 rule, do not set self on fire...

Sounds like your master has truly left his connections behind.

Terry, the minion who was often on smoke, but NEVER on fire!

Reminds me of an instance when I was arc welding overhead and I had to yell at the guy holding the piece for me to "STOP HITTING ME, I KNOW I'm on fire but I'm not done! So far I haven't lit myself on fire in the forge around anybody who didn't understand. I did turn around at a demo to find a spectator standing nearby with a dipper of water out of the slack tub. He was my kind of spectator, he was waiting for me to finish or start screaming.

Ahhhh, just one of the things I love abut the backsmith's craft

Frosty The Lucky.

I've put a few people out who got too close to candles and our house cat's tail once. Twice, gals with long hair who bent over a scented candle for a good sniff. One didn't know she'd lit herself up and didn't believe us until the smell got her attention. 

I wonder how many people a poll would show have been on fire to some extent or extinguished another. The more I think about it the more I realize I've been around lots of people who caught themselves on fire. Not for long happily! 

Frosty The Lucky.

I remember the "fun" time a fellow boy scout caught the soles of his sneakers on fire.  -20 deg F morning camping and I had been the first one3 willing to get out of my sleeping bag and light a fire and suddenly I was surrounded by the other scouts.

The fellow in question didn't realize that it takes time for heat to make it's way in.  The amusing part was watching him "dance" trying to take off his shoes when the heat started to show up inside the shoes...

How many Scouts over heated stones and didn't bury them deep enough under their sleeping bags? The rocks I overheated were wrapped in an old towel in the foot of my sleeping bag and smoldered through. I was REALLY happy my bag didn't catch fire!

Ah, Boyscout campfire stories. Good times.

Frosty The Lucky.

My ex-wife was from England. As a child after WWII she would sit on the hearth with a roaring fire in the fireplace. One evening she took her place at the fireplace wearing a rayon set of pj's. A spark landed on her and the pj's caught fire. Her parents put the fire out rapidly but the rayon stuck to her skin, burning her back and the back of both arms. Left some pretty bad keloid scars. They emigrated to the U.S. to get her better medical care but she said the skin grafts were worse than the scaring so they discontinued the treatments.

I love that minion (airtank).   The paint job looks like something Banksy or a boxcar artist practiced on.  That boxy looking rescue squad is cool too.  It almost looks like it could be converted into a one of a kind mobile smithy.  I was hoping for some pics of wads of barb wire though....:)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...