I Forge Iron

Thomas Powers ICU

TWISTEDWILLOW

Got these ideas rattling around the head, might as well try to write them out so I can focus on other things. Sorry if this is a bit long and rambling because it could probably be summed up as “Thank you for another set of valuable lessons Thomas.”

I had thought to say something in a thread like “What did you do this weekend” but I am not sure if that exists but here goes…

I first stood in front of a forge at New Mexico Tech. I was a fringe member of the SCA, I found the armor making class and got an override so I could take the class. I didn’t know that Thomas showed up once a semester to teach blacksmithing. I have already talked about how I was there for set up, teardown and all the schlepping I could do. I went to every class I could, even if it was just for set up and teardown. Over the years I got to assist him teaching at those classes and other demonstrations. Last semesters class was a tough one, it let us all know something was wrong. At times we thought it would have been the last BUT, we are stubborn, and we did not let that happen. This past weekend we had another class, a much more successful class, and a hand off.

This weekend we tried something different. Thomas would oversee as the Minions taught. I taught the morning class, the beginners. My goal was to get them through an S-hook and if they had time a second projects (nail or chili pepper). We did it. Every student finished their S-hook and one of them got a nail done. Thomas gave me some feedback on pacing and a few facts I should work in; but it went well enough. James (the other local minion) taught the afternoon advanced class. The students wanted to make knives and he is my superior in that and pineapple twists. That class went well too.

I am glad that Thomas was there to add to the information and tell his stories, anecdotes, etc. I am thankful for his feedback and guidance. Most of all I am grateful for him loaning us his tools and letting us go back to where it all started and teach his class. As I look back, I find deeper and deeper emotions about it all.

Thank you, Thomas, for your lessons, guidance, oversite, dare I say grandmotherly kindness, and the opportunities you have given me and all of the students over the years.

Thom, Student to Thomas, may he always find a way to accomplish his goals.

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you Thom, that was far from too long and rambly. A little on the emotional side but I understand coming back round to the beginning for a while. I know I learn as much teaching as attending classes. Doing both simultaneously must be sweet indeed.

Again, good story, thanks.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 months later...

As an update 6/8/2023

Thomas was admitted to the local hospital yesterday due to a diabetic emergency (ketoacidosis). As of late last night his sugars are down but he hasn't regained consciousness. His family is at his side and I don't have many updates beyond that. I will share what I can when I can. 

Thom

Student of Thomas

May grinder sparks fly away from his beard. 

Visited Thomas at the hospital. They are doing what they can to keep him comfortable. Except he wants to get out of bed and they say no. They being his wife, daughters, and mother. So he is surrounded by love, but can't get the minions to challenge his caretakers. (He thought us Jo Ann calls health shots and we listen.) Any way he could answer some yes and no questions and add to some conversations but he is mostly out of it, has a heavy cough and is short of breath. His sugars were climbing before we left.

James and I tried to tell amusing stories. Some got a response. He also said I could use his grinder this weekend. 

In a more up beat story. Last weekend we got him to the local New Mexico artist blacksmith meeting. He handed off coul spring and sucker rod. We also rehomed some tools. He even got first pick from iron on the hat and got a nice new set of tongs. That was a good day. 

Thom

Student to Thomas may he remember to grab the cold end of the iron next time. (James added his input) 

Thank you again Thom. I can't add much to what Randy said but it is a huge relief to know Thomas has so many folk who love him keeping him safe. Please relay my sincerest thanks to all the minions and friends attending to him.

Frosty The Lucky. 

Thank you for the updates Thom. that is slighlty more positive than what I'd heard earlier in the day. I did try to call Joanne, but it went to voice mail and the mail box was full. Please let them know we are thinking of and praying for them both.

Patrick

Patrick, Verizon cell service is bad on that side of town. Her phone works at home and on the north side of town but there is no service around the hospital. So some phones are a no go. Hopefully it will be corrected soon. (small New Mexico town problems.) I will make sure she gets the message. 

Thom Student to Thomas

Speak softly, ring the anvil loudly, and remember your hearing protection. 

As an update. 

My master has returned home. They have set up his oxygen system and he sounds better (less of a rattling cough) and he is answering in longer sentences. 

On a side note does anyone know: (in jest)

1- the minimum safe distance a forge should be from the oxygen machine/extra tanks?

2- how best to hook up any spare oxygen tank to a forge for high efficiency. 

Thomas just gave me a look when I suggested it. 

Thom Student of Thomas 

May his forge always light on the first match. 

Thom,  I would guess Minimum safe distance from a forge next to Thomas is a quarter mile! :-) But then safety is way over rated!! 

Glad to hear he is home, and that his family is making him behave. All my best to them and to you and the other minions. We are lucky to have you all!

Terry

The Rabbit who works with fire!

I'll take a breath now, I was thinking Thomas has practice handling diabetic episodes provided he didn't take a worse fall. Glad you're back home Thomas. I'm holding a little welcome home party right now. BOY we gotta get you a larger grass :o skirt! Nice lamp shade, it goes well with your eyes. 

Hook the oxy up to the forge through a non-flammable line at the tuyere.

If the person on oxy's beard bursts into flame he's too close to the forge. Beat the fire out with a wet gunny sack to prevent future fires.

Frosty The Lucky.

long long ago, I worked at a factory that made air conditioners.  I was a line brazer doing a lot of the high pressure joints in the copper tubing.  we used Propane/oxygen torches with a y tip to heat both sides of the tubing at the same time.  You would be amazed at the speed difference a little bump in the oxy supply makes.  You can melt a hole really fast in heavy copper tubing with one of those.

Knowing that, I share the 'look' master Thomas gave you :)

I rang the Anvil today, and will do it again tomorrow.  Many positive vibes in your direction sir.