• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Das, I thought about putting a ball on the other end but I thought that the spring steel might want to be heat treated so I decided to make it in a way that was removable. So far I don't think it's going to be an issue but you never know. I did however have to take it apart already. The position the handle was in put the rivet end pointing directly up when clamped down on 1/2" material, which is the most common thing I put in the vice. So I cut the rivet off, inserted the handle 180 and re riveted it. 

IFC thanks for the heads up. I've never been bitten by a vice handle. But a couple of wraps of leather can be a good insurance policy to keep my record going!

I guess never being bitten by the handle is a bit of a lie. In the shop at the Mill we have a big machinists vice and when not under pressure the handle swings very nicely. I unclamped a piece one day and let go of the handle. I was standing to the side of the vice so when the handle swung around it hit me right between the "uprights". I think I'd take a blood blister over that!

Creeksideforge, I don't have any pretty grass on my property...actually there is no grass except for a patch or two of Bermuda, so I could have drug that keel into position without the rollers. Did that with my Post vise and base. Hooked up the Saturn wagon and drug it to where I wanted it.

10 hours ago, Daswulf said:

Pe3ssure, just know that you'll need to clean the rebar (anodes) occassionally so it's good to make them easily removable. 

I believe Slag was just pointing out where to look online for images to study. It's all good. 

Yeah, they were originally old rusty rebar. With all the time i spent cleaning them up I`ll probably just go buy a 20 foot piece of rebar and cut it to lengths and put them up where they wont rust. it was a huge pain since they have that texture. i may eventually just get some square stock mild steel and that would be easy to clean with a flap disc. I`m loving it though, its working beautifully. The lathe will be good as new in no time now. 

Pe3ssure, personallu I use thicker plate. As long as it's bubbling and derusting is all that matters. 

Built a set on top hood for the demo forge tonight. Not thinking things through about my materials caused me a lot of extra work. I "think" it will work fine. Has a pass through and an area in front to rake more coal in. I'll find out how it functions this weekend. My20190612_000013.thumb.jpg.d7bace940e58dc28c8b2575ed9a073a2.jpg

No grass means no grass to mow. I know some people like taking care of the lawn. I do not. I like growing a garden not a lawn. I don't understand the pleasure of walking behind a loud mower in the sweltering heat , but to each their own If you like it fire that snapper up and get to it. ;-). It's been so wet here lately that the grass is growing out of control. I watched the maintenance guy mow the lawn yesterday and was not envious of him. The heat wasn't too bad though.

Pnut

I think if I lived on clay soil with lots of rain I'd be really tempted to put in dry wells near the house and french drains on slopes. Give water somewhere to drain it really helps control mud, road and foundations issues.

Living on glacial till the ground is rock solid and drains well we only get mud where the organically degraded (clayey) over burden has spread. It doesn't take much clayey material to make silty till frost susceptible (FS) and muddy when saturated.

Frosty The Lucky.

Funny enough I used the old swingset at my parents house to do that when I was younger. And that one was built in around the 1920's and about half the diameter pipe. 

Aus, yeah, I laid a nice bed of cedar chips. :) 

Nothing to be proud of this go round (more of a "How did you waste time at the forge today?"), but made some plant hangers for Father's Day.  My dad wanted some with a longer reach (26") to keep the pots from dripping on the deck.  The unfortunate bit here is that after doing the fishtail scroll, the finial, and the 90 degree bend the things wouldn't fit in my propane forge to do any bending of the middle.  I ended up doing that cold in the post vise, and the irregularity in the bends shows it - along with the poorly-matched curvatures.  Just finished forming a JABOD last night, so hopefully I can put heat to these and fix the warts before Sunday.  Either that or make some new ones.

For those wondering, it's 3/8" square stock, and though it's a little springy it'll hold the weight of the baskets they're for just fine (I've already done a test install and load test).

20190603_203815.thumb.jpg.82ec635b79997cd842d29e5bbefaac29.jpg