• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks. These seem to fly off the table at events so I'm always making more.

I'll be in Johnstown tomorrow through saturday for Thunder in the valley.  Can't imagine just hanging out at a table for 3 days so I'm taking the portable forge to keep me busy. 

Les: The angled stiffeners on the bridging member are there to convert vertical forces to longitudinal tension along the plate. A vertical "stiffener" would concentrate the forces in one place where the bending moment form the press is already greatest. 

There are 4 angled stiffeners two on each side. It won't twist, 25 tons isn't nearly enough force. Maybe not even if it were all directed to a single point but we're avoiding that one.

Frosty The Lucky.

Such wonderful work from everyone!   I haven't posted in quite awhile and didn't do much forging through the winter. But been back at it the last few weeks. Been working on several things but I haven't got pictures of most. Hope y'all have a good day. 20190617_170723.thumb.jpg.8c7460b07843a143f5114b960f448a53.jpg

Das, thank you for the compliment. I love your dragonflies! All your work is second to none. My hearts sure look better than they did when I first started. I was given a box of various size shoes and I've tried figuring out other things to make with them. These need to be finished. Any ideas on something I could do better are welcome. 

20190619_173457.jpg

I've seen some nice bottle openers from horseshoes in the appropriate thread, here.

I think your hooks are nicely done, but there's a ton of variety in what you can do with them. You might draw the end out to a finer point before rolling them over, or flatten them more before rolling them a little tighter. The solid part of the shoe might have enough material for a penny scroll, you might try twisting the shank for a little variety. There's lots of options.

Haven’t posted any work up till now, but I thought I’d share the latest project. Visiting family in two weeks and need to have a Father’s Day gift ready. Well I hope this turns out. Still a few hours of work to do, just need to have time available when it’s not raining...

F3AB57C9-0AC8-4468-A361-C0CECCD9B642.jpeg

Edited by Goods
Tried to reduce image size, darn iPhone

Not done with it yet. Still have to make an internal scroll/brace for the handle, refine the radius at the tensioner pivot, and drill for the pins and rivets. Overall clean up and coating as well. At least a few hours of work.

I’ll have a loop to swing over the end or the tension lever. Have refinement to do on the end of the lever, but need to get the pins in before I do too much more.

Also, this is inspired by the hacksaw that is show in use in volume 3 of Mark Aspre’s books. Not my own invention...