I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

On 5/31/2019 at 7:26 PM, Marc1 said:

I wonder if we'll ever shake the greenies off and start culling crocs. They have been out of control for decades and reaching as far as Brisbane, driven by hunger and uncontrolled multiplication. 

Yes, indeed. Sent you a PM about this, but I see for some reason you cannot receive PMs. I wish that notice had come up before I spent time on the writing!

• Replies 26.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Marc 1and Aus,  Here in the states the American alligator was on the endangered species list. After the population grew to a sustainable size hunting was allowed once again. So maybe there's hope for you punters down under. 

Can you apply for a nuisance animal cull permit? Here you can get them for nuisance bears, mountain lions in their range even deer out of season. Coyotes are open for year round hunting. I like coyotes though so it would have to be a REAL pest for me to kill one. I had a coy dog for about ten years.

Oh yeah our cousin to your redback spider, the black widow won't kill you but it hurts enough to make you want to die. I know from hard experience.

In the last ten years or so I've seen a couple news reports of sharks found in the Ohio River near Cincinnati. Always juvenile and always in extremely poor health. I don't remember what kind of sharks they were. 

Tourists are the endangered species up here! Some, usually from Europe, just don't understand the dangers. Marc1 is right; we need a cull. (Of crocs not tourists).

No, you can't get a nuisance animal cull permit for crocs, Pnut.  The pollies and greenies won't be in it. When the crocs start eating people on the Gold Coast they might listen.

There would be plenty of well-off trophy hunters over your way that would pay ferocious amounts of money to knock off a giant salty. The money could then go to sensible conservation programs to look after bilbies and quolls.

I guess this conversation is getting a bit off-track and political, and I suspect the moderators are ready to pounce.

ThomasPowers,

i use a product named “Suspend” to control the black widow spiders and all other insects in my shop and around the house. It is safe to use inside the house also. It’s available on the web, the price looks scary, but you put 1 1/2 oz per gallon of water first application then 3/4 oz/gal every 3 months. Mist it on, not wet. The bottle lasts me 3-4 years using for 2 houses and my shop. 1 1/2 gallon of mix will do all 3 inside and out. 

6 hours ago, Ben Hoover said:

And my forge will not forge weld!!

Nope, it sure won't.

You have to do the welding. It's not a big deal just a matter of knowing what to do and following the steps. You'll get there you're just starting out. ;) 

Frosty The Lucky.

Nah, learn to use the one you have. How are you going to figure out what to get if you don't know how to use one yet? Honest, learning to winkle your way through using less than optimum equipment, tools etc. is a much faster way to master the craft than working at finding the "best" tools. 

Seriously, fire is fire, if it'll burn you can make it do your bidding. Though I've never tried I know you can weld steel with an alcohol lamp. Not just forge weld but torch weld. 

Frosty The Lucky.

I'm not much of a forge welder either, Ben, but you just have to keep at it. I get by, but never do it as a demo … too many sparks and not enough confidence. Read up on the threads here about fire welding and you'll get lots of good tips. The best way of course, is to get someone to show you, using your forge. You are probably somewhere that you can find an experienced smith to demonstrate the technique. I don't have that luxury and I have never seen anyone forge weld.

14 hours ago, pnut said:

n the last ten years or so I've seen a couple news reports of sharks found in the Ohio River near Cincinnati. 

Most likely bull sharks. Don't know of any other species going into fresh water.

Yes, indeed. Sent you a PM about this, but I see for some reason you cannot receive PMs. I wish that notice had come up before I spent time on the writing!

• Oh my ... 

Made a stand for my press and lifted it on the stand, its bigger than anticipated. Anyone had that happen before ;). As i dont have a gantry at home a borrowed some scaffolding from work to lift that bad boy on to its stand ( she's around 200kg 400lb). The wheels wil be taken off when i get a new shop but for now she's gona sit there.

IMG_20190602_120129.jpg

IMG_20190602_112051.jpg

On 6/1/2019 at 8:01 PM, ausfire said:

I'm not much of a forge welder either, Ben, but you just have to keep at it. I get by, but never do it as a demo … too many sparks and not enough confidence. Read up on the threads here about fire welding 

Same boat Ausfire.  I appreciate the comment. I'll figure it out.

Here's a few things I made over the past week. I thought the shelf brackets I made would be a good base for a plant hanger, so I made a few...

Xui1o9z.jpg

fZ8WAQ8.jpg

JJ6DQqz.jpg

Here's one I haven't mounted yet

mXphb7J.jpg

I also made a back scratcher and hook for work.

qRKRdeJ.jpg

Nice work!

You can give the flat bar a bit of texture if you make a "texturing mallet". Buy a cheap hammer at the hardware and grind a lot of holes in the face with a die grinder. Different sizes works best, the more the merrier. The more holes, the less face left and the more aggressive the texturing. (Goggles a must)

Then before you start making the brackets, get a couple of flat bar length and work them cold on the anvil both sides and the edges. Use a thick glove on the left to stop the vibrations in the holding hand. Cover all the surfaces with steady blows. The end result will be a flat bar that will look like it has been exposed to the weather for a long time. :)

PS

Of course you could smear the flat bar with lard and hang it in the Ohio river for the sharks to maul and chew. Similar result but would take longer and be less reliable :)