I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

Finished setting up my electolysis setup a bit ago. Having some coffee and a cinnamon roll while I wait. I think I made a pretty nice setup. 

Ive got some .175" thick copper cable, solid, I ran it around the tote and back in around rebar. Boy was it hard to bend after a few bends. Work hardening is real folks!  There is one piece of rebar in each corner, I then tied the rebar to the thick copper with some actual copper wire. (I've got a lot of copper in a lot of shapes in sizes.)

image.thumb.jpg.ffd6c7f719644fcce89bcaab5d5cd161.jpg

I changed out the wood for a plastic pipe and put a bolt through it. 

image.thumb.jpg.cc87201bc71053103ce4a4b713f65ff6.jpg

I also put put tape around all the exposed copper wire except where I attach the battery charger

image.thumb.jpg.3506f7a03d6f796e4a7d3d7cf71401b7.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.4fd7e0f945587d713deb13dd378fb4f8.jpg

I had to turn baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) in soda ash/washing powder (sodium carbonate) via my oven. Since I forgot to see if they had any when I was at the dollar general. 

• Replies 26.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You can buy Roadrunner or Wile E Coyote stuffed toys in most any size or pose online. But a scrap sculpture road runner with a spring neck bobble head and meep meep tongue is pretty irresistible. 

Frosty The Lucky.

There's nothing odd about it, we try to keep trademark infringement in view where it matters. Now don't go poking at Steve the subject is a really sore point for him right now and taking money out of his pockets on several fronts. His response to you has been darned restrained.

Well done Steve, we'll handle this one for you if he doesn't get it.

Frosty The Lucky.

Pe3ssure, just know that you'll need to clean the rebar (anodes) occassionally so it's good to make them easily removable. 

I believe Slag was just pointing out where to look online for images to study. It's all good. 

Ah you're okay Mr. T no harm no foul. We like to try defusing things before they go south if possible. Nobody thought you meant anything by it, the subject is usually just a little touchy.

Frosty The Lucky.

I forged this as part of the next series in "How to" videos on Tomahawk forging.    This will be a complete series.  Starting with forging the mandrel, then wrapped eye, then reinforced poll and maybe a few variations. 
This was just after hardening and tempering just before I left for the NEB spring meet which was a blast. 

20190607_104352[1].jpg

Das, thanks.   I had the video nearly completed when my new to me computer tanked. :(

Thanks Frosty. .  LOL,  Video star..  LOL.. Certainly you jest.. :)   I had a discussion with several people at the NEB meet about the videos and the channel.   While each person said the content was very good, it was split as to the format of dual video and titles vs talking/ over dubs.   Some people love the format and some people ask why don't I just do them like all the other guys like Bear, Bad dog, and a few others. 

4 minutes ago, jlpservicesinc said:

Video star..  LOL.. Certainly you jest.. :)

Not really. You're producing quite the number of high quality how to videos. Nobody is going to like everything and some don't like successes other than their own. Be polite and disregard their opinions. I do it all the time. Too many people think the way to look good is make others look bad. I have enough burdens in my life, I don't need to carry them too.

You're already a video star to us Jennifer, the rest of the world can just catch up. 

Frosty The Lucky.

I think the two camera angles are helpful to see better what is going on. Seems like egos, flashy and fluff sell better these days. Your videos are straight forward and educational, and thats a good thing in my opinion. I have to skip around all the blabbing in some I watch when I even get a chance. 

Das,  Thanks.. I really like the dual screens also,  and I really like the 3D videos even better as there is just so much detail that gets lost in the 2D versions.  But only work with 3D tvs with shutter glasses or VR headsets. 

I was rather shocked about how strongly each person felt about the type of video they like to watch..   I was kind of happy that the guys who mentioned the talkers as their preference did say they watched my videos because of the skills taught but for them, they hated the titles..  One guy commented on the 2 streams with " 2nd was just a waste of screen estate". 

The people who loved the videos really were the guys who have seen me work in person and it was funny because they caught the main function of the videos which is to teach certain skill sets vs just the item made.    It was just what the Dr ordered.    LOL..    A few also mentioned because they had seen a few of my demo's in person said they could hear my voice as they read the titles. LOL..   

For myself getting feedback both good and bad is such an important part of the process.   I like the videos i produce but I also would love for the information to be more accessible so more people can take away a positive experience from them. 

99% of the people liked Torbjorn Ahman and this was extremely consistent.    Funny too, because they all said they love the middle where he shows photos or videos of peaceful scenes at intermission. 

I never asked people about the videos.

All the information started when I was talking to a guy who I have seen become a fine smith and he mentioned them. Next thing there were 8-10 people standing around and we were talking about them and skill sets and such. 

Hi Jennifer. I really like those videos from you that i've watched. I consider them some of the best. I do have to watch them more than once to get it all down. I'm too slow to read and watch two views at one time. That is a result of information density and a positive feature. 

2 hours ago, jlpservicesinc said:

I was rather shocked about how strongly each person felt about the type of video they like to watch..   I was kind of happy that the guys who mentioned the talkers as their preference did say they watched my videos because of the skills taught but for them, they hated the titles.

Really like your vids.  Prefer some vocals, but hey, so you're a blacksmith not a orator! :D  Keep up the good work.

Jennifer,

i like the videos that you do. As an extremely new person to this craft, I’ve lit my forge twice and forged two items, I learned how to do everything from this site and watching a few videos, most of which I did not finish, except for yours and one other person’s. You are the only two I view at this time because these are the ones I can learn from instead of hearing someone claiming they can do something, but can’t show you how. Thank you for all the time you spend helping us. 

Great job on the tomahawk, I cant wait to see the videos. 

An aspect to the videos of yours I've watched is the lack of loud music. I rarely enjoy the same music as another person let alone when I'm trying to focus, loud repetitive noise should stop at the anvil. I don't want everything blared out by a forge either.

Dubbing narrative or captions is perfect for an inherently loud craft.

Frosty The Lucky.