I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

On 6/28/2018 at 9:58 AM, Daswulf said:

Aus, that is a really nice rack. On the bull, are the ears a separate piece pinched in the fold of the head, or? 

Das, the ears are a separate piece forged into the ear shape and then hammered into the head fold. There is a small dab of weld behind the horns too. I have not heard of exhaust clear coat but I know you can get Rustoleum Clear in a satin finish. It will be undercover. I'll try Woody's boot polish idea on a scrap piece first.

• Replies 26.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Made my first ‘lady’s/blacksmith/Viking’ knife yesterday to set my mind on other things after 5 audit- days and a week of really hard psychic work.  And of course I made it from 10ChroMo still to oil quench and anneal it at 480F. (I know, blade to long-handle to short –but a good balance)

Was busy at the power hammer after 3 weeks out off use -to forge the blade and handle,

-however my psychopath neighbour called the police again (18.00h) to complain about the noise -even the hammer is sheltered behind of 8 inch insulation and an average noise emission of 75dba (noise of a passing car).

This time it was the (4th) police visit (this time) from the county police after his complain, -also this officers give me the compliancy =I do nothing wrong. Like the local sheriff did after his visit several weeks ago.

I’m quiet cool to it, but seeing Lisa crying  after this new cowardly attack, made my hard bleeding!!!

Already told in another treat (neighbours’ complaints) about him, which is the one cried like a baby after they drive flat his cat at the street -but looking several weeks later from the street (without any action) how my garage is on fire (with Lisa and Diana in the house), and described by his own wife in public as an ‘couch potato’.

Please advise, I have to react to show him the borders.  

Thinking about to invite the local Harley Davidson Chapter for a beer and Hammer In -to intimidate him to and show strength, or something else.

I’m not intending to move,  the rest of all neighbour like wat I’m doing an see it as an added value to the community. What should I do?

Cheers, Hans

DSC00584.JPG

Lieber Herr Richter,

Four visits and the police find nothing wrong?  That sounds/looks like mischief or obstruction of the authorities,  to me.

A biker club would probably help.

But,  is there a Hells Angel or Outlaw chapter nearby? 

They have a remarkable way with pests like your neighbor.

Just sayyin,

Auf wieder sehen,

SLAG.

Hans, I say let him cry wolf and he will eventually get himself ignored or in trouble. No need to let him hold residence in your head or give him an actual just cause. He will eventually burn himself out. Never know, maybe one day he will call them on you and they will end up giving Him a citation. 

Nice looking tongs Vaughn. It Is nice working stock in tongs that secure it well. 

8 hours ago, VaughnT said:

there's nothing so nice as forging steel held securely!

Ain’t that the truth!

8 hours ago, SLAG said:

Is there a Hells Angel or Outlaw chapter nearby?  They have a remarkable way with pests like your neighbor.

True, but you’ve got to be careful about the favors they might ask in return....

Have a customer who wants a ships wheel for an anniversary gift. Started on it. Forged radius and textured and forged the rungs. 

Wasnt sure I was going to take job as it’s not really my style. (not in my wheel house hehe) But am beginning to think I’m glad I did. 

96424984-17ED-4020-AB24-3EB6FAF0D52E.jpeg

35571FF0-C470-41E7-8E2D-6F3D33D81B65.jpeg

Hans: Don't the local authorities dislike being used as a weapon? Here there's a limit to this kind of behavior and repeated offenses usually result in fines or even jail time. Maybe get together with the other victims and file a class action suit against him.

We used to have a neighbor that liked filing complaints with animal control against us for animal abuse. The second time they came out they fined HER $500 for filing false reports, second offenses run in the $1,500 - $2,500, even jail time. Stupid woman used to call around 3:00 am to complain. I hung up on her and she called back to leave a threatening message on the answering machine. Caimed to be law enforcement and made threats. Her husband was a good guy, a state cop in fact and he knew exactly what would happen if I played her message to her boss let alone the police.

The police have important things to do and being used by one disgruntled person to punish law abiding citizens is NOT one of them. Get together as a neighborhood, file a law suit, leave the fool so broke s/he can't afford a telephone.

Frosty The Lucky.

On 6/10/2018 at 3:32 PM, Hans Richter said:

Cast two new 6lbs ‘Fun’ anvils from brass and bronze (out of material stock now).

Ever thought about trying to cast one of those bronze anvils over a steel faceplate? It's something I've always wondered about, and a 6 pound one would make a nice little jewler's anvil. 

On 6/30/2018 at 2:27 PM, navasky said:

Text we just read has been removed

I'll be interested in your results, bronze and WI have different resonant frequencies and it may effect rebound. One of our  club members is a bronze caster on many levels, 100+ lb. pours  aren't out of the question if it's worth the material cost it'd be a pretty cool club project.

Frosty The Lucky.

why not just have a hammer in with the police once they show up and find nothing wrong, im sure that would get him fired right up lol. just get some coffee and food and have them bring the whole department with them.

Wow that ship wheel looks awesome, cant wait to see the finished pics