I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

It also takes us longer to heal up.

I had a close call when pulling out of a blind drive on a curve the other day. Luck was with both of us, the girl driving the other car going too fast, had fast reflexes and we missed each other by inches. Apologies all around but we both had to go change our shorts.:)

• Replies 26.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Spent some time in the rain upsetting donated automotive steel (it came with the appellation "tie rod," but no make or model) into a more usable form; it will eventually become an small axe or tomahawk. We managed to collapse the total length by about half, and the striking anvil worked great, though it's starting to sink into the mud a bit.

20180619_143551.thumb.jpg.88d8cf4438ee84d924eaaef26d1ec4df.jpg 20180619_140205.thumb.jpg.4a4fffb8769fbe49aa4f53734a41f9e0.jpg

9 hours ago, Daswulf said:

Mike, great job getting the young guy interested and helping out!

Thanks Das

I was surprised how coordinated he was spinning the allen wrenches around.  

9 hours ago, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

I could have used his help yesterday while getting my stuck burner out of the forge. Love it when they have total concentration.

Thanks ID

He did pay attention and got what was needed right off.  He did get side tracked though.  once he figured that the set screws released the jet tube, he pulled it out and replaced it and locked it in probably 5 or 6 times.  

We don't need no steenkeen jury Thomas! You certainly don't suffer from insanity you enjoy it too thoroughly. 

Too bad I don't live closer Mike, I'd be more than happy to show your striker how to adjust the valves in your car or maybe arrange the plug wires. :ph34r: We'll leave painting it till he's large enough to use the textured roller.

Frosty The Lucky.

3 hours ago, JHCC said:

I usually spend most of my forge time making tools, so today I thought I’d make a little something decorative and practical: a back scratcher.

Little to the left. Ah. 

A little flatter tip and some teeth will get more area but it looks good and functional. I'm SURE you've tried it out. ;)

2 hours ago, Frosty said:

We don't need no steenkeen jury Thomas! You certainly don't suffer from insanity you enjoy it too thoroughly. 

Too bad I don't live closer Mike, I'd be more than happy to show your striker how to adjust the valves in your car or maybe arrange the plug wires. :ph34r: We'll leave painting it till he's large enough to use the textured roller.

Frosty The Lucky.

Too bad indeed, Frosty.  Quality work takes time.  

3 hours ago, MotoMike said:

Too bad indeed, Frosty.  Quality work takes time.  

Indeed Mike. Every youngster needs a Weird Uncle Jerry. Kids are less likely to experiment with dangerous things in dangerous ways if someone shows them how to push the limits carefully. 

Not bad Mudman, nice anvil I like it. Next time you draw a taper draw it on the far edge so you aren't hitting the anvil with the hammer. Use "Half face" blows half the hammer's face on the anvil, half off. Keep the end of the taper on the anvil's edge and work back. Search out Brian Brazeal's how to videos on Youtube. I use his technique for drawing tapers and I've tried many before settling on his.

Nice hammer you're going to learn to love it.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thank you. It has served me well, I've been keeping an eye out for something with a horn/ saving for a Nimba. But never seem to see any for a reasonable price or in reasonable condition.

I have a bad habit of trying too many things before I get good at any of them. Normally I stand parallel to the anvil, and decided to try the "regular" method. Didn't quite work for me. 

Tried Brian's method as well, which I really like. But again, too much switching around on my end. Forging A.D.D. perhaps? :D

On Brian's method, do you ever have trouble with developing a twist when going octagon?

Thank you, it's a mighty fine hammer. I almost have too many actually.. 21 to be exact.