I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

2 hours ago, BIGGUNDOCTOR said:

Jon, with the legs at that angle did you do a load test to see if they will bend ----- before it is loaded own with flaming logs?

Good idea- Thoman Powers suggested similar. I think its a symptom of the photos, as I said its bigger than it looks and the stock is thick (half inch).

I've just stood in the pit without the legs bending, and I weight 250lbs. The pit will never experience more than 50lbs of wood in operation.

• Replies 26.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Made a rebar bottle opener as a thank-you for the contractors who gave me my last haul of scrap steel (and might be able to provide more), straightened out and hardened the dog-head hammer I made last time, and punched the eye and did some forging on a new handled round punch (currently annealing in the hot box). Also made a little desk sign for the president of the college where I work, which will need to have lettering added later. First session with the new forge layout and first proper forge fire using the super sucker, both of which performed beautifully.

77C371E7-A428-4451-BC19-2D053A07B792.jpeg

0E466E83-2D65-483B-BD4A-DDB1AA3AE804.jpeg

Wall decoration...   I wanted to offset the deep curvature with the lighter coloring shift..    the color on the lower or right side curve got away from me  a tad.. Little darker than I wanted.. 

Was a fun project..  I make a 3 tine fork every decade, just because.. LOL.. 

Thomas P, It went to my Mom.. When I made it at the conference I gave her first right of refusal..   She snapped it up before I could even ask if she wanted it..  She then grabbed it and shown a spot up on the wall..  

I wanted to finish it so dragged it home with me..      Sometimes useful items just have to be looked at.. :) 

motomike thanks, As to a video on a 3 tine fork.. I might at some point do a video on it..  Sadly I'm so busy I haven't had time to edit the video from last filming and with taking off the week to go do the ABANA conference it just moved the normal work load into another time frame with work being doubled or tripled on some days..  And I need to cull 10 trees so I can start to get the teaching facility up..  

With 3 tines the most common problem is not enough root reinforcement at the base of the outside tines as these are bent nearly 90D when forged to length..   One can do a convenience bend for each tine but I'm not a fan of it as it adds other problems when the tines are then bent back.. 

So for video list:  fireplace tongs, thumb latch, mystery metal ? ,  Hammer making, draw knife,  side rake (forge welding), and 3 tine fork..  Not sure of the order..   Sorry, but this summer might be video less unless I can find a time in between demos, fairs, and getting the building up.. 

58Er, your welcome..  projects like this can be good learning time frames.. 

Hafted the doghead hammer I finished forging yesterday. Still needs a wedge, some face dressing, and charring and waxing the handle. I like how it feels in the hand, and I'm looking forward to trying it out.

4FA36D6C-C96B-4F38-B7D5-B4D579F42BE7.jpeg

27D0B894-7A87-4319-9240-BE114A3505F6.jpeg

Total weight (including handle): a hair under 20 oz.

I really like your makers mark JHCC reminds me of the Transformers every time I see it :) ..  I also like the hammer but, have found on anything other than flat work the off centered weight effects my wrist and elbow to much as it needs lots of stabilization at any other angle.. 

I should say flat work (knife like items) or bowl work as then working in the depth of the form needs hand clearance.. 

Well, I’ve been curious about trying one (partly from watching videos of Japanese smiths, but also from seeing the video about Albert Craven, Sheffield’s last production blade forger), and the easiest way to get one was to make it.

Glad you like the touchmark. I think I mentioned this before, but it’s a stylized version of a monogram I designed in fourth grade, when we were studying the Book of Kells. Been using it to sign my work — drawings, furniture, pottery, and metalwork — ever since. 

That video is "Monster"...     its a great hammer.. Please don't take what I said as anything but in reference to ergonomics  and hammer swing.. 

In the last month or so I have been quizzed numerous times about my hammer swing while out teaching/demoing and have had several lengthy conversations with many a hammer swinger so is the reason I mentioned it.. 

seems like it's been forever since I posted here. Anyways, here is some of the recent highlights. 

Littleblacksmith

IMG_1024.JPG

IMG_1043.JPG

IMG_1088.JPG

IMG_0887.JPG

IMG_0979.JPG

IMG_0990.JPG

IMG_0718.JPG

IMG_0734.JPG

IMG_0513.JPG

IMG_0515.JPG

IMG_0523.JPG

Why thank you! I like it alot too.

Littleblacksmith