• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Working on a 9ft X 15ft US flag for a local town ( 4th of July celebration), will be lit with led rope lights, star panel is back lit w/ led rope on back side of star cut outs and reflects off back sheet 4" away, you can see star details even at 200 + ft away at night. I should have whole flag lit after dark tonight. Working on welding the rest of the spacers etc today.

IMG_20180624_140843035.jpg

Finished the African-inspired knife for my friend who just got tenure in the Africana Studies Department at the college where we both work.  

8633AB33-92BB-4E03-8B95-C4DA8F2150AE.jpeg

Also started another pair of split-rein tongs. Tried out an idea I’d been playing with, to cut the inside corners with a chisel ground from a section of bed rail. 

F272C479-1E54-4D2C-AA6A-D84A47A0AAFC.jpeg

Works pretty well, with no sharp inside corners that might start a cold shut:

20B4720C-D122-4B5E-8C70-72E87CA24120.jpeg

I think that next time I’ll cut from both sides á la jlpservicesinc, to minimize the chiseled burr. 

I hadn’t heat treated the corner chisel (didn’t want to waste the time on a proof-of-concept), so it didn’t survive very well. Even so, I liked the results so much that I will definitely regrind and heat treat it. 

Well, I was so taken by the original when I saw it in the Natural History Museum (especially with that unusual loop handle) that I wanted to make one like it. Maybe if they make him Department Chair. 

On 6/24/2018 at 2:52 PM, Gergely said:

Do you use acid bath for wrought?

Not as a rule, but this one did have a swim in vinegar for a day or two. Didn't seem to make all that much difference. HCl might be a bit more aggressive. I'll give it a go.

Generally I find wrought much softer than steel, but for some reason with this one it took a while to cut the slots for the Fredericks cross-overs.

17 hours ago, ausfire said:

this one did have a swim in vinegar for a day or two.

On the other hand, this is what happens when you forget that you’ve got some pieces of galvanized conduit soaking in a bucket of vinegar:

466A361E-E597-4D7B-B98A-5772085B52C3.jpeg

I made two out of a set of three legs for a friends firepit. This is only the second thing I've forged, ever, so I'm fairly pleased. Hopefully my friend will be happy.

He's going to weld them to a 1m steel dish.

Here's hoping the third (and final) will match the first two!

IMG_6820.jpg

IMG_6821.jpg

You did very well with the first two. Nice match.

Three legs are good for stability on stands like that. Unlike four-legged things, you never have to worry about getting them all on the ground together.

I really like that hammer mudman.

Littleblacksmith

Haven't done much with stainless steel so I thought a rose would be worth a try. Hard work forging those leaves! I think I will try a bit of torch heat on the petals to see if some temper colours would look good.

rose stainless 2.JPG

10 hours ago, sfeile said:

plug cutter

Looks great but..... whats a plug cutter?! :D

1 hour ago, ausfire said:

stainless steel rose

Beautiful.

10 hours ago, ausfire said:

Three legs are good for stability on stands like that. Unlike four-legged things, you never have to worry about getting them all on the ground together.

Indeed! I didn't fancy my chances at getting all four on the ground- especially since the firepit will be on grass often. These legs are easily heavy-duty enough for just three anway.

28 minutes ago, JustAnotherViking said:

A plug cutter is used for cutting plugs.

I gathered that! :D but I still can't think of a kind of plug that needs a dedicated cutting implement?! Is this something specific to blacksmithing?.

Electrical plug? nope

Bath plug? Nope

Ear Plug? Nah.

Rawl Plug? Maybe?? Unlikely.

Googled: Plug tobacco?

EDIT: Upon further googling, it must be plug tobacco? Now such a beautiful tool makes sense! :D