I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

Plug cutters are also used to trim the ends of fine cigars.

On 6/25/2018 at 8:37 AM, Jon Kerr said:

Here's hoping the third (and final) will match the first two!

The best way is to match it to the first one, that way any difference between the first & second won't be as bad on the third.

• Replies 26.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mr. Kerr,

Plug cutters are/were used for cutting the tapered conic end of a cigar.   Many cigar types have the tobacco leaves tapered at both ends. 

The cigar enthusiast cuts off the taper at one end. That truncated end is then ready for insertion in the mouth preperatory to smoking said cigar.

Caution, trying to draw smoke through a closed tapered cigar-end could result in a serious hernia.

The "SLAG" strongly recommends vigorous hernia avoidance.

Yes, you could use a knife to cut the cigar end,  but it would require more time,  in order to void a messy end.

Hence the use of a plug cutter.

You can find them in traditional tobacconist shops on this side of the pond. (i.e. the good old U.S.A., and also, wonderful  Canada).

By the way,   nice job Mr. Sfeile.

SLAG.

Mr. Dragon,  you have scooped me.  Sorry.

Wow, it’s been a while since I had the leisure to visit here.  Anyway,  cool rose Scott.  I need to try that some time soon.

Figured I’d show a picture of my plug cutter to clear things up and show it off a little.  Still has the original pin striping!

0F7D5BF1-0CE0-4906-81ED-BD04F5099BB3.thumb.jpeg.5a256667cd34de40a77c6ccda8d51952.jpeg

Nice one Lou. I smoked a pipe for years and had never seen a plug cutter in person. It wasn't until shortly after I got asked to make the first one that I saw two in the same day in person. Both the same style as yours.  Still haven't seen more than photos of the style I was asked to make though. I just did a "well that looks close" kind of thing.

Looks like it's going in a very good direction to me Scott. Nice work.

6 minutes ago, Lou L said:

Yeah, I pretty much adore the thing.  I can just picture it on the counter of a general store in the 19th century.  Plus, I do occasionally cut plug pipe tobacco with it.  It needs that.

I've never had to use one. But would love an excuse to make one. These days, it's mostly 1Q for me. 

I have actually been pretty busy in the shop lately but haven’t posted anything.  I made some wine glass holders for the yard along with a bottle holder (didn’t get a picture of the bottle holder).  The night before I was to give them to the teachers on the last day of school I thought to take a last minute picture of them.  Not ideal pics but they represent a serious improvement on the trial attempt I made when @JHCC visited and we each tried one.

CC36CDC9-62E6-46D4-984F-E721016BAE86.thumb.jpeg.51f7cee795fc39326a7c8ee9b280a416.jpeg

Finished off a hat/coat rack today. The backing piece is an old wrought iron swingle tree (or similar harness piece) and the rail spikes are well weathered 100-year-plus wrought spikes from our local railway. The longhorn bull (with ears) and the spikes are riveted in place. Not sure what to use as a finish. Warm carnauba wax maybe, as I don't really want a glossy finish.

coat rack.JPG

DSC_9024.JPG

Lou, those are some nice looking wine glass holders. Need some in use pictures!

Aus, that is a really nice rack. On the bull, are the ears a separate piece pinched in the fold of the head, or? Looks great and perportioned to my eye. Not sure about wax on a hat/ coat hook though i guess it would be fine. I'd opt for a flat engineer exhaust clear coat. I have found they seem to hold up better then the regular stuff but more expensive too. 

6 hours ago, Daswulf said:

Lou, those are some nice looking wine glass holders. Need some in use pictures! 

I completely forgot to take,pictures until the night before I Gave them away.  I intended to set the whole thing up in the lawn and take some pics.  Total fail.  I intend to make Moore for people in the neighborhood and I’ll get action shots then.  Thanks, by the way, they are the first thing she I’ve made that I felt were worthy.  They are far from perfect but, in my defense, I intentionally left hammer marks to make them look more “hand made”.  Looking back at the pictures I think,there are areas I should have cleaned up more.  Next time!

It's so common to turn the finial or hook backwards we can't think of a way to laugh at someone when they do it. If we did, hundreds if not thousands of folk would guffaw or chortle hysterically at us.

Frosty The Lucky.

1 hour ago, Mudman said:

Worked on hooks today. About at number six, I realized I forged the mounting portion in the wrong direction

Heat them back up and give them a 1/2 twist. Problem solved.

Or build a project that the hooks can be attached from the back. It is not a mistake, it is a feature. Attach them to the under side of a work table, and the back side of the edge. They are then out of the way from snagging things when passing, and still able to hand items to the hooks.

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

It's so common to turn the finial or hook backwards we can't think of a way to laugh at someone when they do it.

I'm learning this first hand. I've done it soo many times with S-hooks. 90% of them that have a twist, were not planned. 

57 minutes ago, Glenn said:

Heat them back up and give them a 1/2 twist. Problem solved. Or build a project that the hooks can be attached from the back. It is not a mistake, it is a feature. 

Thanks Glenn, that was the plan. 

I was thinking this too, although they might be a little short for that. But I like the idea. The under table idea I hadn't thought about, that's a good one! 

Hooks can be make in S, C, J, configurations. I link S hooks that you have at a demo and then twist to a different configuration to make a sale. The long S hooks get heated and cut in the middle, then bend, and point the cut end to make a couple of drive or beam hooks. Doubles the price of a single S hook.