I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

I would drill a hole through both sides to accept a screw and then open up the front side to let the screw head pass through.  Drilling larger holes in thin copper can be challenging though so maybe a die grinder to open it up.

• Replies 26.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This week was my semi annual spring cleaning- I call it that, but it’s really a complete shop overhaul. Whenever I get through a number of commissions I tend to deep clean, reorganize and move much of my tooling around. It’s a bit of a ritual for me, to clear the space in my mind as well as the shop.

so I present to you the current layout of my shop- and this one might stick around for a while.

37A5AF93-CDBC-4387-B86C-D00946411268.thumb.jpeg.fe9abee1fc4b4a9f6cdb2ce49fc210f1.jpeg

4B9FF81E-B718-466D-86E6-B8927207836C.thumb.jpeg.94348751b5dc0120831111b0dbe94d83.jpeg

2231390B-13A8-41FE-A75A-DE34A270BA98.thumb.jpeg.83b179c742c5c373d262344e7406db9b.jpeg

Ridgeway Forge Studio-Nice shop you have there. Looks like a lot of recycled materials. No chimney or forge hood? My space is set up the same way, lots of gaps between sheet metal walls and burning coke, not very smoky at all in the suburbs.

Fired up the coal forge for a quick present for my younger daughter's birthday. She's been into seedlings and plants lately. Took a bent plant stand from the urban recycler and fancied it up a bit with a leaf and some texture. Interesting working a 5 foot piece in my 8 foot wide space. After the leaf and such were done, put the bending fork in the vise near the door so there was more room to bend the long end around.

IMG_6083.JPG

IMG_6084.JPEG

16 hours ago, Michael said:

Ridgeway Forge Studio-Nice shop you have there. Looks like a lot of recycled materials. No chimney or forge hood? 

Not as of yet- the shop is built so that the second overhang acts as a smoke shelf and generally keeps the smoke out of the shop without a chimney- works except when there is a south eastern wind, which is a bit uncommon for me.

I like both the shepherds hook and the key rack. Both are well done!

We had the IBA state meeting to day in Venon, IN (but only local chapter members attended) and I made a couple items:

Scribe from 3/8” diameter coil spring and 3/8”x3/4” mild bar collar welded on for the diamond.

279F814F-B346-4CB4-94FE-DB4B3A14AF84.jpeg.28964481be7418c8aad7b904560def75.jpeg

Ruffed out a power hammer punch from Atlantic 33.D553F725-9C85-4046-B7D7-8505321205D3.jpeg.4f2b01e455c6843bdb550d3d7cbad9bd.jpeg

Cleaned up the punch back at my shop.D21C8851-20F5-4446-BDD7-EA475BF2FF0F.jpeg.854562d6113c13802e3c6d730563f01a.jpeg

Keep it fun,

David

I've not been at the forge for several weeks now. Between the "honey dews, and the dew point spread, (100+/100)The weather has not been conducive to forging.  Temps have been bumping the century mark for a while now, and the dewpoint has been keeping it humid as all get out, with zero wind.   I went out to the Goldfish pond, and had to go past the forge. Everything is covered with cobwebs, and rust.   I usually buy a bag of coal a week, but this bag has lasted me over a month.  Good fire management, or not firing the forge?  I haven't done anything since the last thumb latch project, and still have to forge the hinges to match.

Ridgeway, nice shop. I do that same sort of thing. Every once in a while just go and clean house. Afterward though i have to find everything again. 

Been in the triple digits here for a few days also. The other day was 104*. Today though it was in the low 80's, light breeze, and blue skies. These are the days i love living in the midwest. So i made some hinges and a hasp. Not quite done ran out of 5/16" for pins and had to soak a piece of galvanized, a bit of file work and some finish still left also. 

Special shout out to Jobtiel for doing his hinges and planting the idea in my head. These are much easier than cutting a piece out and filing to fit. Just heat and put on a drift and tap into place. 

image.thumb.jpeg.a0a2afdedcf7d2f31a2bfd6dde28286b.jpeg

Billy, great looking hinges! And I agree, these are not as difficult as they look! And they indeed save you a lot of bench work. For anyone interested the process is described in more detail in "the complete modern blacksmith" by A. Weygers.

~Jobtiel

I like your key rack too Ted. We'd hang leashes from a version, it's just an attractive light duty hanger.

Nice job on the hardware Billy, I'll be watching for the finished  and the installed pics. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Today I finished up a prototype railroad spike spatula I started last weekend. Blade is made from 1/16" 304 stainless. It ended up just under 17" total length. I'm pretty pleased with it; I plan to eventually make these alongside railroad spike grill forks, bottle openers, and meat flippers to sell as sets.

Ted, the key rack looks great. Does the rivet for the middle hook extend through the hanger as well?

spatula2_small.jpg

spatula3_small.jpg

Just a few minutes in the shop today (helping reset my brain after yesterday’s one-shot drive from Boston to Ohio): making a toggle-and-bolt arrangement to hold together the pedestal of a neighbor’s cast iron sundial. 

09D62666-4171-4A86-B32A-85B4C74C8EE8.jpeg

Me?

Thanks Arkie, Made from 4 peaces of 3/8 round. Feels about wright to me. Like twisting square stock, it took quite a bit of fiddling to get the twist even.

JHCC   That raising hammer looks like it would be fun to make. Wondering how it compares to a dishing hammer made from from railroad bolt.

baskettwistdoorpull.jpg

Like this:

83DD7924-B1B0-4FD5-92AA-E2AB2D6897B0.jpeg

In terms of how they compare in use, the biggest difference is that the dishing hammer is for pushing metal out from the inside, and the raising hammer is for pushing metal in from the outside.