I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

A friends son just stopped by about an hour ago on his way home from the hospital. He was burning some trash in a barrel and guess what he used as accelerant... if you guessed gasoline you are correct. Put some cardboard in a barrel, poured on the gas, stuck his arm in the barrel and struck a match. He got lucky 1st and 2nd degree burns on his arm and face, beard stayed but his eyebrows are gone. 

• Replies 26.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

17 hours ago, DHarris said:

Learned yesterday evening to keep my digits well away from the spinning blade on my table saw. My initial thought (well the one immediately after “Do I still have a thumb?” was “jeez that blade is sharp! I didn’t even feel my thumb move!”

who has one thumb and is prohibited from the use of power tools? lol

jokes aside hope it heals fast

My youngest grandson's birthday is coming soon and he loves snails. So I made one for him. :D

20220308_145829.thumb.jpg.3ae3df01cb0a9bb4a50a436763f29369.jpg

20220308_145803.thumb.jpg.6cf21c28197eb9719cc93065528cbcdc.jpg

The design is from a video from Gary Huston. First time I made one. The tail is a bit long, but overall I think it turned out well.

I finished it using Howard butcher block wax, baked in the oven. Original stock is 3/8" round.

Excellent snail, well done! He'll be handing it down to his grandkids and so on. 

There were a number of kids I grew up with who almost earned a Darwin award and a few who did. 

One who earned the award involved a burn barrel and gasoline. It didn't get going well enough so he tossed more gas in the barrel from a bucket. It blew back and covered him in burning gasoline, he was dead in seconds from inhaling flame. 

We heard about that one at a school assembly that included a FD speaker and a film. I expect every school in LA county got the same lecture. It was a B A D one.

It was pre-Darwin Award days of course, mid 60s as I recall.

Frosty The Lucky.

The inside of my shop door is covered with speaker magnets.  I pick them up at the scrapyard and have a number of uses for them.  I recently got a few LARGE ones from car blasters. Currently one is holding a piece of metal a friend needs along with his diagram of what he needed.  I've gotten pretty good at removing one side of the 2 metal keepers.

Thanks Lary and Das.  I can't remember who did it here first, but it was a fun little project.   A few things I'll do differently on the next one is watch the hire a bit more,  it's slightly angled to one side and down towards the handle a bit, but that's about it and I'll just say their features for leverage. 

To remove the keeper from a stereo speaker magnet:  I have best luck holding the magnet in one hand and smartly striking the center core with a ball peen hammer to break the adhesive bond.  I'm generally working with older discarded speakers and so the adhesive may have degraded some already.  I'm at the 80% success rate with no breaking or chipping of the magnet.  I think that holding it so the force transmits to the bond helps a lot---my holding hand deflects with the blows to the core.

Recently I got a speaker magnet for on my anvil too. i just stuck it on without removing the stuff around it, it works well enough as a dampener.

Today a minion one of my friends came over to help me with some striking. I needed a big drift to forge the eye of a froe tapered and round. made one from 45 mm round C45 steel. First time forging this stock, and I must say it went a lot easier than I expected. so next time he comes over we will be making a set hammer. and after that or that same session a big fuller, both from the same stock. the set hammer I will be using to make bench dogs for his workbench.

He also gave me a small wooden block plane, which I flattened out and sharpened the iron for. In the mean time he made some handles for some stuff on the wood lathe. All in all a productive day, but no pictures unfortunately.

~Jobtiel

I’ve been wanting a cone mandrel for my anvil for a while. I’d thought of making one from a chunk of truck axle I had, but ended up using that for something else. So, I started making one by welding up the hex end of a heavy torsion bar, a chunk of 3/8”-ish plate, and some squared-up 1” schedule 40 pipe. Pre- and post-heat in the forge. I’ll draw out the taper later. 

FE56DFBF-A8D8-43B2-B4C0-0535426A56EB.jpeg

AA72ED42-0D80-4178-9833-D3C18DF6C37F.jpeg