I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

That looks exactly like my old sleds. If you looked at the runners they were triangle shaped with the flat on top. The side down were concaved. Like if you put a square bar in a swage made from 2 round bars, then forged to the shape of the swage. (at least that is my best description) Kind of shaped like the bayonets they used on the old Brown Bess muskets. Also the runners were quite narrow, like 3/8" maybe 1/2" narrow.

Roy at Christ centered iron works on the youtube done a series of videos last year making one. 

• Replies 26.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks BillyBones I’ll check that video out! An see how he does the runners

I wasn’t looking at the steerable sleighs y’all more like the fixed ones like I posted,

I was just thinking about something to tow max around on as we don’t have hills on our property and he’s not able to steer anything yet anyways, lol

TW, it won't be very many winters before Max will want to steer and have you take him to whatever hill or slope is nearby (dirt pile, river bank, etc.).  In flat Chicago I thought that 10' elevation difference was a big hill.

Of course, you have a built in excuse to build a bigger, better, and steerable sled.  You could fit it with wheels for the times that eastern OK does not have snow.  I guess that would make it a species of wagon.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Oh yeah we can definitely look into building a steering one later! 

and there’s hills around the area just not on our property, 

He’s not big enough to go out sledding himself he’s just turning two next month,

that’s why I’d like to just make something I can tow him around on for now, and when he gets a little bigger and learns to hang on I’ll tow him a little faster behind the four wheeler, lol

but he’s a ways off from going solo for now

Small hammer mod: I’d made this doghead hammer a few years back out of the end of a torsion bar. However, it turned out to be awkward and not especially useful. 

0845BAD6-2872-4E41-9A35-7D9DF3930FB8.jpeg

So, today I cut off the heavy end:

25CE80C9-0E7F-449F-9178-11F850944FA0.jpeg

And made a small hammer that I plan to use for chasing and repoussé:

8E177667-F4D3-448E-8823-09CC07A2BCB2.jpeg

The chunky offcut will eventually become a tool of some sort. We shall see. 

Saturday was the Friends of the Library book sale; disappointing this time; but for a book on Timber Framing and one on Knitting designs from Norse runestones...

Saturday afternoon I'm doing cleanup and sorting and planning in the shop. I need to add several more circuits and run conduit to carry them.  Of course where they should be mounted is covered with vertical stacks of heavy wood and steel...Had a forge friend come over after lunch and he was trueing up some pattern welded blocks with my screw press---using stop blocks to get them identical in size for their next stack and weld.  I  unrolled a spring as a piece of cable we picked up at the scrapyard had a plastic center---amusing to burn out!  It now has a spring steel center and should be ready to go Tomorrow when I celebrate my first day of retirement with a forge welding party!

Sunday;  I sorted my electrical stuff and started laying out the pieces of conduit for the first 220/110 outlets on the west side of the shop.  Now to buy breakers and plugs to fit the outlets.  After lunch I went into town to watch a Chasing and repousse DvD at Fine Arts West; but the player was down, so we started laying out all the smithing events we wanted to do the rest of the year.  Currently 4 of us plan to go to Quad-State next fall.

Today: last day at work.

Congrats TP!

Took most of yesterday to get out to the forge. I had some... mixed results. While I was able to knock out a very nice little hunting knife, my other projects didn't go quite as well. A garden trowel I was making for my mother snapped. The tomahawk I had finished forging cracked and delayed during heat treat. A piece of 1x6” cable Damascus I was working on was all welded up beautifully before I accidentally left it in the fire too long and it burned. A lot of frustrations, but hopefully some lessons learned for next time, and the knife turned out well

099643D3-6F83-45EB-B3CB-3FFE571B245F.jpeg

6B667FA7-0559-4522-B311-0E98E17DA07A.jpeg

22A87B44-1D58-491C-AFDC-D5B3745704A9.jpeg

First day of retirement: I had a friend come over and we lit both the coal and the propane forges. Did some pattern welding and forging on previously welded billets.

I also cleaned out the space where my next outlets are going to go: 220 and 110; I found that  my electrician didn't follow my instructions; or I wasn't clear enough.  He put in one outlet per 20 amp 110 VAC  breaker.  I think I can expand without buying more breakers; I don't think *2*  outlets per 20 amp breaker is over doing it...

I will have to add in another 220 breaker as I don't want to share the 60 amp welder breaker with "lesser"  systems!

TP, congratulations on your retirement.

I'm no electrician, but I have a 2-3 20 amp outlets per breaker, but nothing besides my welder draws that much current. Plus I very rarely have more than one thing running at a time. Still, the lights are on a separate circuit that's coming out of my main panel in the house rather than the subpanel out in the shop. 

-

Today I finished up a couple of tools.

One bolster plate made from some 1/2" leaf spring. I have room for more holes, but this at least covers my bases for now.

DSC00480.thumb.JPG.6723a5c10ad5d839dc0f0411b964b8bd.JPG

And a larger flatter. I don't have a swage block for the upsetting method, but I do have a welder.

IMG_2022-02-25_23-09-00.jpeg.e44b3a6980cf6a95c11cc0ed3ef45d52.jpegIMG_2022-02-25_23-55-06.jpeg.a094d57dbd6a416731d7f36fc2cb5458.jpeg

DSC00481.thumb.JPG.cffb3f1524b53b83221a58d814db3b3d.JPGDSC00483.thumb.JPG.5c54066eb011fe8cd6c5e7c6575d6516.JPG

Yes I know; but it was today when I was figuring out the runs for the next outlets that I realized the electrician had only put one outlet per breaker and so I didn't have to go back to the panel but could start the run at the outlet that would share the circuit.

Save for the 220, it needs it's own breaker as I don't want "smaller" loads have to trip a 60 amp breaker to fil off.  I have some 10 awg wire for the 220 run to my Bader grinder.

Good repurpose of an unused hammer, John?  It was back a page or to. 

Good idea, Frazer. If you don’t have what you need to make something you want, just use the tools at hand to make what you need. 

Basically finished my very first knife. I didn’t set out to make one, a personal steak knife, but that is what it is. I had a narrow file and WI. Put them forge welded them together into the shape the material seemed to want to be. Did three normalization cycles.  Ground the bevels, ground the area around the bolsters flat and riveted them to the blade after shaping them. 

The  hardened and que chef in re-warmed oil. It was at this point I realized I had made a mistake. I should have tempered the blade prior to attaching the bolsters. Put it in the wife’s oven while she was at work to temper at 450 for 15 minutes.   Etched blade in muriatic acid for 12 hours. A bit long. It ate a bit more of the WI off than intended. But still OK. 

Cut the scales out of a bois d’arc log I have had drying for two or three years. Attached one scale and drilled the pin holes. Attached the other scale and drilled those pin holes. Rough shaped the handle using a 1 x 30 grinder. Glued the pins and fitted them though the holes and peens them. Finished grinding and the. Sanding with progressively finer grits. 

Did a bit to add secondary bevels. 

Soaked blade in instant coffee for an hour to darken the low areas of the steel. Buffed with very fine steel wool. 

Soaked the scales in BLO and placed on the fence in the sun to dry and soak up the UV rays so the bois d’arc would darken some. I want it a rich brown color. Tomorrow I will repeat with the other side facing the sun. 

we will see how it turns out. The first photo is me trying to decide if would from an old shrub would be better. Decided to stick with the bois d’arc. 

The second pic is the knife prior to linseed and coffee stain. The rest are the knife basically finished. 

980B9EDF-16C7-47D0-97E8-62CA0FADE37C.jpeg

2227BE60-F2E7-4B8C-9F00-1E1EFDE921D6.jpeg

ED2777C1-6D84-4871-B2A4-79A9B6E68A99.jpeg

C3CDC264-21CC-494E-8072-A25AD4FC73BF.jpeg

1FD3B6AC-7688-49A3-913C-7F39052A701D.jpeg

Balance seems to be decent. Lots of mistakes with this first knife though. 

Friday lunch, cut up some 3/4 inch coil spring. On Saturday, used a friend's forge and hydraulic press to make rough tong blanks from the 9 inch sections of coil. Sunday made another set of mild steel bolt tongs, with some jaw alignment tips from the friend with the press (who has taught a LOT of classes) improving on the last pair.  Gas forge, 10 years old, is glowing alarmingly at the top, the rusty section where the burner fits in. New gasser build is in the cards.

2Tongs.JPG