I Forge Iron

Prayers and condolences Glenn, family and friends

Frosty

Very sorry to hear this, I had several phone calls with Glenn while I was working on getting started and he was incredibly helpful and generous with his time. I remember asking about making punches and chisels at one point and he sent probably 15-20lbs of higher carbon steel like tie rod and springs packed in with my order of forge making materials as I had not yet learned how to acquire such things easily.

I hope that somebody will keep up the small scale sale of the forge materials, I would not have been able to get into the hobby nearly so easily without that resource that Glenn offered. He was a great asset to the community and will be missed. Prayers for his family. 

Remember gang, Foo and the rest of the administrators plan on keeping Iforge operating without interruption or major changes. It is in effect a living legacy / memorial to Glenn. 

So don't despair Iforge will continue on as close to the same as possible. 

I'm not much of a flower maker but as soon as my hand heals I'm going to take a lash at one. Come to think of it a kind of wonky flower is right in my wheel house. 

Perhaps we should throw a cyber wake for Glenn. A thread where we relate the good, funny, etc. things wer remember from our years of interacting with Glenn. 

Here's a starter. Every time Glenn called, my wife, Deb would roll her eyes and head to the bedroom because Glenn and I would be on the phone for a couple few hours. Lots of laughs, problems discussed, solved, etc. generally good times, really good times.

Frosty The Lucky.

Glenn shared his wisdom, knowledge and generosity with us all, but he was also a man of suprises and ingenuity.  I have the most beautiful strawflower growing in my garden that I grew from seed that he sent me last winter.  I will save it's seed and it will always remind me of him.  I will of course ring my anvil for him and my prayers and thoughts are with family and friends.

I told Foo I will handle the gathering the stuff for the memorial for Glenn, same as I did for Whitesmith.  What do we want to do this time, same thing? Metal Flower bouquet?

For those not around back then,  anyone wishing to add their work, sent me a flower they made, didn't matter what kind, besides roses, we had a large shamrock from Ireland, a rose bud rosary and a life size magnolia, some were bronze some stainless steel Gum nuts and leaves from Australia because that smith didn't make flowers, one smith sent me a box of leaves to fill out the decoration, and another made grape vines to use as the base structure that everything else was gas welded onto.  Here are a few photos from  that project

Wow. Sorry to hear that news. Frosty was right about his phone talking prowess- I just wish I remembered even half of what he said- it was all good. Thanks Glenn. You’re home now. Rest easy. Condolences to the family, may you have peace. Going out to ring the anvil now.

Steve Eshelman

Never met or spoke to Glenn in person but I'm still rocked to hear this, as I was about Thomas. Glenn was always generous and, as mentioned above, patient with his sharing of knowledge but also his wisdom in terms of safety, and its promotion here. This place is a testament to that and to him.

My condolences to Foo and the rest of the family.

My anvil is pretty average so it doesn't ring :lol:, but I'll hit it for him anyway!

I’ve been away from the forum awhile but I just received a phone call to let me know the sad news…

I’ll never forget all those hours long conversations with Glenn on the phone or all the random tidbits of knowledge that he shared with me… that guy knew everything from tying knots to salvaging everyday items to blacksmithing, he always thought outside the box, I always chuckled when he’d repeat his thoughts about

“ I didn’t just  buy the face of an anvil! I bought the whole anvil! And I use every side a the bottom too!”

my sincerest thanks to him for all that he’s done for the community, and my sincerest condolences to the family and his closest friends

its been over a hundred degrees here so I haven’t lit a forge in a hot minute but I’d like to participate in making a leaf or flower for the wreath too,

I will ring my anvil in the smithy under the wisteria for him tonight, raise a drink and toast to the man who has done so much for us all 

When I first heard about the passing of Glenn, I went into the Celtic garden and rang the anvil three times to ask the Goddess, God and Great Spirit for healing light and comfort be sent to the family and friends.

The first contact I had with Glenn was in 2017 not long after I had joined. It was over a post I had done that contained a rather “off color” GIF. He admonished me in such a way, that I immediately took a liking to him and over the years that like developed into love like a brother.

We had many phone conversations that didn’t always involve Blacksmithing but subjects we both were interested in. My love of restoring old muzzleloaders, the dangers of using a chainsaw in the woods, working with tractors and fixing old cars & trucks. My recovery from cancer & chemotherapy.
His wisdom and humor always showed through, which I will dearly miss.
Rest in peace Glenn, ya done good.
Randy

On to the next journey.  I imagine him standing at the gates waving us in and making sure we know our way around the place. 

He will be missed dearly and remembered fondly and often.  Condolences to the Online family here as well as his wife and family. 

If there is anything I can do, Please let me know.   

Glenn will surely be missed by all. 

There are so many good things to be said about Glenn. At the moment I will just have to say Thank You.

He opened a good welcoming community for those that want to learn and share. 

Prayers and condolences to his family and friends. 

My condolences to Glen’s family and friends. I never had the opportunity to speak with him, but I have gained much by the wisdom and advice that he shared with everyone on this site. I will miss his presence, but never forget him. 

Sad news , I followed Thomas and always checked on here to see how he was doing . Now Glenn , what a shame I never got to talk with him , I’ve read so many things he wrote on this site , he certainly was a wise man and seemed so willing to help others , prayers for his family . May  God be with you all at this time . 
Tim 

Wow, kind of stunned here. My first call from Glenn was like IDF&C's, i got admonished for an off color post. Ended up on the phone for a couple hours. 

As with many i give a true thank you to him. With out this site i may have given up a long time ago. Glenn put me in contact with many wonderful smiths and people. Those here have inspired me, guided me, and even chastised me when needed. And it is all thanks to Glenn and of course Foo. He may be gone from this world but as long as his legacy lives he will never be gone from our lives. 

While only a few have gotten back to me,  its clear most want another bouquet so here we go. 

We will need flowers or any type, life size preferred; young buds as well as open blooms.  And also leaves and branches as well., after I get a supply of things sent to me I will start the to lay out a design and start assembly.  When it gets nice and full I will post a time deadline to get more things sent to me, so I can finish and deliverit to Glenns family. This worked well the last time to give everyone time to make something if they wish.

I do ask that you leave stems of whatever you make extra long so I have options on mounting