Touchmark/Makers Mark stamps?

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I do Gary, if you visit the BABA (British Artist Blacksmiths Association) facebook page, and scroll down you will very soon come across a post by a Roger Hampson. He is an engraver located in Purton UK and has made quite a few now for folks on the page and posts his work for perusal. You should be able to contact him through facebook initially. Hope that helps Gary,

(There will be others I don't know about....)

It's not that hard to make your own..  It really depends on the design.. But there is a direct process where the it is a direct stamp and then where you make a negitive or reverse die to make a stamp..  

The 1st way is the fastest as once you engrave the stamp it's done.. The second way.. You engrave it in reverse then process a mold.. 

The second method will give you a stamp die which you can use 100's of times to make new stamps with.. 

If you can heat treat, you can do this pretty easily..  

• 3 months later...

I wasn't sure where to put this, i didn't find a topic or sub topic.

I plan to eventually sell my blacksmithing. I have no plans of a full blown career in it but after awhile of practice you end up with extra stuff so why not rent booth or shelf at a flea market or fair and sell these items? well that will be my first part of it. I do intend on getting into Sword smithing and such but there is only so far i can go atm. regardless i want to get to a point where the hobby can "support itself" so to speak. what does this bring me to? a touch mark.

I have an idea of what i would like to have for my Touch Mark, a sideways Fedora. A little insight to this, the only hat i own is a couple Fedoras. If i had the suit to match or something that would go with it, i would wear a tophat as well. Fedoras are the only hat i regularly wear. This includes the Fedora i have specifically for when I'm working the forge. I plan on calling the forge/business Fedora Iron. 

so i guess this also comes to a question, has anyone seen a fedora or a touch mark yet? 

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

I"m just a newbie blacksmith, but my "products" are starting to get around. So I was thinking of having a punch to mark them with a unique symbol/logo (not designed yet).

How can I go about making/getting such a punch?

This is mine. My shop name is Horizon Forge, so i did a (somewhat abstract) rising sun as my touch mark. Took a bit of air hardening steel and did the shaping with a file and a drill. The design you go with and the tools you have will dictate how it is done. 

IMG_1707.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

I just chiseled and stamped mine cold into a piece of 3/4" mild steel plate. Then got a 3/4" bearing yellow hot and smooshed it into the design with the fly press. Welded to smooshed bearing to a 1" shaft, and heat treated it in oil. Now I have a touch mark fly press tool. 

PSX_20171110_191453.jpg

IMG_20180103_163245_225.jpg

• 2 months later...

I don't have pictures of the touch mark or it in action, but here's my design for it. I filed it out of an old punch I had and used a Dremel to clean it up a bit. It's my initials put into a circle, JJ, with one of them backward.

JJLogo.jpg.c350e0a45db89e213347d841be7cfe3b.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Made of A2  hardened to 58-60 RC.  lots of back and forth to decide on a 5/8 design to keep the text legible.  I like it.  I made two home brew touchmarks of 5160, and they do work ok, but I only had my initials in it.  adding my city and state were beyond me.  

touchmark 01.jpg

touchmark 02.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have two, both variations of a monogram I designed in fourth-grade art class. 

177F4D11-F525-495F-8201-4BF96776AEB2.jpeg

B21949AB-60F4-403A-8F6C-E3A4CD97F00B.jpeg

A1FA7FE9-3F07-4B55-BBFE-B6B96E2762AE.jpeg

6EF50C3F-AD59-4D66-8513-8B66855D85AE.jpeg

The big one works great under the treadle hammer, and I suspect the smaller one will as well, once I add a handle. 

• 1 month later...

I found getting a touchmark or signature was really hard for me took many years before I decided on a design, I sketched  over 400 different designs before choosing one. I never made one before and I could not afford to pay someone to make one for me at the time so I had to give it a go myself, it is not a professional level but it will do for now, going to get a professional to make me a few different sizes for silver and for hot steel in the future but for now these will do and I been using em for about a year soon. they are pretty small.

The symbol is supposed to be made from my initials SH, i don't know how well other people can see it or not know it might not make sense to some cause of the design i made but for me it is clear.

So many cool designs in here, thank you all for sharing.

Bless you all.

Signature01.thumb.jpg.d8c4a18c5ad74e732320d09ad7b32a1c.jpg