• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

Just curious...

I realize that custom touchmarks can run the gamut on complexity, but for a simple letter inside a geometric surround, about what price range would one be looking at from makers like Columbia, CER, Universal, etc.?

I was just curious about a quick, ball-park price range.

I don't know just what I might want in the form of a touchmark design, and that may be too vague for them to give a price quote by phone or email.  Some have (1) set up fees, which are variable, (2) possible design fees, which are variable and (3) fabrication costs, which are again variable.  If the touchmark is way too expensive, I'll probably take another approach.

jeremy,

That's just what I needed.  Thanks very much for the info!.  It gives me a threshold between buying and making.  I really should make one for the experience, but if I barf one up, then get out the checkbook!!! :)

• 2 months later...

Hi guys, here are some photos of my new touchmark.

Quite simple to make. My brother in law owns an engravers company and engraved my initials on some mild steel bar. 

Stamping spring steel over the engraving wasn't working so I  welded a rebar around the mark as a guide and tried again. Bingo it worked. Not a mark on the original mild steel so will be good to make many more.

After heat treating the spring steel here are the results.

Should anyone want their own design engraved like this his website is www.grimesengravers.com

He says its easy to send a proof via email and he's not expensive.post-45965-0-43528800-1382886981_thumb.jpost-45965-0-48276100-1382887002_thumb.jpost-45965-0-99949600-1382887022_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just now finishing up a piece that's taken quite a while to complete. Although I still consider myself a beginner, I feel proud enough about the results to sign my name to it. I was wondering if some of you wouldn't mind showing pics of your touchmarks (preferably home made) and perhaps a little bit of how they came about. What type of alloy? Size? Tools used in the carving of etc.... I will post mine once finished. Thanks

Slow down take some time and read through the forum, we have a lot of information here besides the general smithing section.  Your thread is now merged with the existing one.  It may answer your question

• 1 month later...

The hollow or negative punch I made first.  http://ipneto.deviantart.com/art/Makers-mark-negative-stamp-v-1-392858739

The first try at my makers mark.  Found it worked awesome for endgrane marking but required to much force/larger hammer to make a good one hit impression in steel.  http://ipneto.deviantart.com/art/Makers-mark-v-1-392856947

The second try at it that fixed those problems.   http://ipneto.deviantart.com/art/Makers-mark-v-2-392858378

I have plans to make at least 3 more one more of this style and 2 of another.  Will show when I get to making them.

• 4 weeks later...

We now have a facebook example page for ideas of touch mark hand stamps. I do get a lot of questions about ideas so hopefully (if can search the facebook for Columbia Marking Tools) is will give you some great ideas. Here are just 2 of the many. Always ask for I-forge/Toms discount.  

post-6843-0-89138400-1390310912_thumb.jp

post-6843-0-35821700-1390310933_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...

I've been trying to come up with a touchmark design for awhile.  Got a buddy overseas that's really good at art and computer stuff.  He's been a tremendous help - here's the prototype design at this time.  Tried to come up with something that was small enough to not look out of scale on small pieces.  I didn't want a billboard stamp on a small knife blade or candle holder.  This design reminds me of the proofmarks you'd see on old silver or pewter goods.

I'm thinking it needs more airspace between the parallel elements, and maybe some swoop to the horizontal bar of the T.  Feel free to critique.  

Stamp_zps79beb319.jpg

I like it Vaughn. The close parallels give it a swoopy look and the heavier horizontal  makes nice contrast.

I'd maybe make the T longer and slide it up so the cross bar is above the V but that'd break it to two elements so it'd be a real maybe.

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty, that's a very interesting suggestion.  I'll pass the word on to my computer guy and see if he can't do a mock-up of it.  Better to give a try than to always wonder.

D, very nice.  I like the border.  I was thinking of using a surround on my mark, but couldn't come up with any ideas that I liked.

D, very nice.  I like the border.  I was thinking of using a surround on my mark, but couldn't come up with any ideas that I liked.

VaughnT:

That's a pretty traditional (18th century) thing to have that scalloped border on a touchmark.  Just takes a bit of work with a jeweler's file. 

I'm in SC as well.  Sent you a PM.

• 3 weeks later...