I Forge Iron

Touchmark/Makers Mark stamps?

Nice hammer, sorry no idea about the trademark.

I wonder if it's a factory cross pein or a blacksmith converted it. I changed a 32oz. ball pein into a straight pein some years ago and the resemblance is striking. 

Frosty The Lucky.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

wicon

Thanks for the list! I’m still looking for some sort of list with marks behind names. Maybe putting in some work to make one myself.

Frosty

Nice! Did you put a steel wedge in across the whole width of the handle?

TWISTEDWILLOW

I find them a lot. But mostly with a ball peen. I have one other straight peen hammer that i need to rehandle or put another wedge in. 

It is not completely straight on the handle either. So i really need to fix this.

ThomasPowers

Do you have pictures. I always love to see other tools. 

Alex: Yes, I made the handle from 5/4" straight clear grain hickory cabinet lumber and wedging it the "normal" way with a wooden wedge and a steel wedge diagonally across it doesn't seem to hold so I forged a wedge with barbs and it's stayed tight.

Please do NOT use the @ to tag people's names. It messes up the Iforge operating software making the moderators go through the posts and remove them manually. 

Just use the login or person's real name if you know it, the way I called you Alex at the beginning of this post. 

It'll help keep you off the moderator's radar which is to be desired. ;)

Frosty The Lucky.

Slab hammer handles can be a pain to fit to the hammer head but the way they fit the hand makes them well worth the effort. 

No sweat, learning to use the forum takes a little time and we try to help new folks along. 

Frosty The Lucky.

• 5 months later...

Sorry Shaina but my mass spectrometer vision doesn't work on my computer screen. No telling I like picking up chisels and punches at yard, garage, etc. sales as stock for that sort of thing. I get them by the handful tossed in if I buy something else otherwise a couple bucks a handful. 

Coil spring is good enough if the detail isn't too fine.

Frosty The Lucky.

I also had a thought tonight that I could cut the tip off a busted screw driver and the shaft would make a nice size. To start with, mine needs to be small enough to stamp quarter inch that's been reduced. So less than a quarter inch in size. Pretty small. That's why I was dragging my heels at using coil spring. I'd have to do more work by cutting to size, reducing it down, and carving. Was really hoping that I could just take a dremel to something that was already the right shape and will last awhile.