Touchmark/Makers Mark stamps?

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Glenn gave me the number to Columbia Marking tools company, I dealt with Brian Barbera who gave me the "IFORGE" discount, easy to deal with, patient with my ignorance and gave great advice, and now here is the touchmark stamped in clay. I am trying to train myself to use clay as a beginning step to forging, so that is why it is in clay first. 3/8th's very heavy duty, don't think it will wear out anytime soon!

post-4158-0-40700300-1340125700_thumb.jp

• 6 months later...

My touchmark is the same as my avatar here- a Star of David inside an outline of an anvil. It is about 18mm wide. I have had it for about 4 years now and it is still crisp and clear. I don't put it on everything but use it quite a lot. I got it from Blackbird Custom Touchmarks. I think you would find them on Google. I don't remember how much it cost but I remember being surprised how cheap it was. They also did me a stamp with the Hebrew character "Shin" as I use that when I am making mezzuzzah covers. I think these days a manufacturer can make pretty well anything you want.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Greetings Knife maker,

That's my touch mark..  Been using it for years...  I add the year at the end....    Yea and my middle name is Art...     I would be honored to share it with you.

Forge on and make beautiful things..

JAC

I believe that touch marks (symbols) are good for you being able to identify your own work, even some other Blacksmiths may know who uses that symbol.  Last year at the Blade Show a maker had bought a knife from a Pawn shop.  He showed it to me and asked if I knew whose touch mark it was.  I recognized it as a hammer in a halo, the mark of Ryan Johnson of Chattanooga, Tn.  I then took him over to Ryan's booth and introduced them.  It is fortunate that he asked me and not almost anyone else there and I knew only because is a friend and mentor.  We had discussed his touchmark about  13 years before.

My touchmark is:  Wayne Coe.  Now is anyone sees it they will know whose mark that is or can at least do a search for Wayne Coe on the internet.

I also make my mark deep and on the face of the item.  "Craftsmen sign their work on the back, Artists sign their work on the front."

Darrel Nelson tells of making a set of Bear Heads for another blacksmith to use on a set of andirons he was making for a customer.  Darrel made the bears and put his touchmark on them.  He later saw the andirons and the maker had ground off his touchmark.  Therefore, I make my mark deep and on the face.  If anyone wants to grind off my mark they will destroy the piece.  Moral of the story, "Don't try to steal my work."