I Forge Iron

Touchmark/Makers Mark stamps?

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One of the virtues of a simple initial stamp it that it's a heck of a lot easier for someone to search on it on the web.  There's a tool making company's stamp that I'm going to write on a post it as I've spent way too much time hunting it down more than once because they have the letters jumbled up...

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Finally got a clean transfer from the touchmark that I forged from coil spring.  Then scribed a loose sketch into a layer of sharpie on the working end of the punch, and carved the pattern using engraving tools that I forged earlier. And did some clean up using a rotary tool. Here is the stamp and the impression in the reigns of a set of tongs I just finished up.20201207_135919.jpg.0109144e7d6d99bef3afe6df4fe85c16.jpg

• 3 months later...

I have searched online and there are so many places selling touch marks. There are some really nice expensive ones, and some more affordable ones but its hard to tell how durable those are. If anyone knows a good place to order a durable custom touchmark that won't completely break the bank, let me know.

We have a lot of members in Ohio, some may be close enough to you to visit once this pandemic abates and we all get shot.:) We won't remember your location once leaving this post, hence the suggestion to edit your profile to show a general location ( no need to put in your exact address):ph34r:. That way every post will let us know where you are.

Howdy all, I am still here. Survived 2020 and still making the touch marks for iforge people.  Marking Tools since 1960 Made in USA Michigan. If you need something I have made special arrangements you can go direct. Not through distributors. 

If you have a budget limit let me know so we can make suggestions to complexity and size to best get what you need.

We make thousands of stamps a week for manufacturing companies but I am an old metal worker hobby guy myself and still support the small business and individuals here as well as car restoration, firearm and tool guys. 

Admin if you could make sure PM request notifications still go to my email I would appreciate it.

Stamp Man 

Very nice. I've been thinking about the outline of a honeybee because my last name is derived from the old English word for beekeeper but I'm not at level where I need to start marking my work yet. When I am you'll be the first person I contact. 

Pnut. 

• 2 months later...

The Artist Blacksmith Association of North America recently announced that it is compiling a registry of touchmarks, to be published on the ABANA website at some point in the future.

From discussions present and past, there is a growing need for a registry of touchmarks and signatures from our blacksmith community, not just ABANA members, but all smiths. I for one, have many examples of demonstrator’s work, signed and some dated, but there are several which I do not recognize and cannot place a name to. Therefore, I am spearheading an effort to generate a Touchmark Registry through ABANA, and I would ask each of you to help fill this much needed gap. Send pictures of your touchmark or signature, along with a photo of you and one piece of your work to ABANA headquarters. This will be collated, stored, and available on our website for identification. However, if you have a signed piece of work by a smith, either a contemporary or a passed smith, please provide those examples for us as well.

For more information, see https://abana.org/touchmark-registry/

• 6 months later...

Steve has good input. When your ready to mark just do it quickly so the heat from your part doesn't raise the temp of the stamp tip over 420F which will soften it.

However, Hardening a Marking Stamp should be considered between 58 to 61 RC. Then the back half has to be drawn back to 38/42 RC so it doesn't chip and cause serious damage, it should spall over like a chisel. This is also why I recommend 5" to 6" long stamps so the hardened end stays hard while the hammer end is drawn down and gives you room for both your hand and spalling over. The best all around steel is W1 (1095) Water Harden Shock steel. We do make stamps for production foundries out of many other steels but they often are marking red hot steel several times a minute. Hope this helps 

Example of a large Made In USA stamp

059.jpg

• 4 months later...