Touchmark/Makers Mark stamps?

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, finally got around to finishing a touchmark. Spent way too much time and as usual, and in the end was not quite satisfied with the results. I first had to make a positive of the image on piece of H-13 and then a negative or reverse of that. The finished touchmark wasn't getting the results I was looking for so I made a second one with a concave shape that helped the nostril area show better. A two stamp process. I think where I went wrong was in my original positive. The image should have been more 2 dimensional and graphic, than trying to sculpt a realistic looking 3D nose. The punch has to push too much metal and doesn't look right. It'll have to do for now. 

post-27927-0-43688000-1402352688_thumb.j

post-27927-0-50272900-1402352715_thumb.j

post-27927-0-93409100-1402352729_thumb.j

post-27927-0-57509700-1402352743_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

Made mine out of a straighten coil spring out of an old Ford ,annealing it allowed me to use a Dremel  and file to make the letters JTF as one , after that I tempered and hardened the tool.

Anything made in my smithy wears the mark. It's not the prettiest , but it does the job.

post-40976-0-73000200-1403342698_thumb.j

post-40976-0-95284500-1403342720_thumb.j

I use the name "Acorn Anviling"  for my forge so my touchmark is a simple acorn.
("Anviling" was what my then 4 year old called my hammering)

I also got mine from CMT, and they were great.

(kayak, I had the same response when asking for the iforgeiron discount, but I agree they are awesome)

post-22216-0-38597700-1403639032_thumb.j

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I'm glad you revived this thread too, those are two good looking touchmarks.

Who made yours Ethan? I really like it's depth and look. Very strong look, I like.

I remember you saying in an earlier post who you ordered yours from Spanky but I'll need a repeat. I really like it too, it has a delicate intricacy, feminine without being lacy or frilly. Perfect Ladysmith touchmark. Oh yeah I like it.

Thanks for the looksee.

Frosty The Lucky.

Better yet Spanky, family remembrance is good, a thing to be treasured. For instance, the liner in our wedding rings was made from a gold rig a dear friend of Deb's, passed some time ago gave her many years ago. Such things mean a lot.

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty, I got a quote once from one of the stamp making companies (don't remember which one) for a simple three letters inside an oval, 1/4" size approx.  Cost was around $135.  Too much for my blood.  Bought a stamp from a tooling company, one letter with a circle around it, 1/4".  Cost then $14, now $16.  Maybe when I win the lottery I'll get a fancy one.  Tried making about three; all were disasters.

Yeah, much as I'd like a touchmark they're too expensive. It's not like I'm still earning a living. I've considered making a pantograph to hold my dremel to transfer a design to a steel die block then drive a punch and see how it comes out.

Yeah, something else on my get a round toit list. Is anyone's round toit list getting shorter?

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Thinking of this for a touchmark. It's a variation of a mongram I've been using since fourth grade, an intertwining of the "J" and the "C" of my initials. In this particular configuration, it hints at the middle "H" as well, plus it reads essentially the same right-side-up and upside-down. Thoughts?

Monogram.jpg