• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Had some time the last couple days and got more work done on my knife project.

I got the rest of the handle roughed out:

D3A37D0F-E725-4FBD-B727-1946E9ABA569.jpeg.23abb43b1cd64847bd6f86e1e6077f65.jpeg

Got the blade heat treated ground and etched:664BB129-845F-4467-852D-1949C0A474F3.jpeg.3ac397bae7f74ebd0df1e603ca39c59f.jpeg

And started finishing out the handle:9EFA4063-435E-47D5-B9DA-1B648F6260B8.jpeg.fe4204f037b0957dfa6c151093fab22c.jpeg

Doesn’t seem like much left, but I’m worried about how long it’s going to take.

Keep it fun,

David

Just a simile. Could have just as easily said “shattered like a teacup dropped from the Arc de Triomphe.”

Did some more playing around with containers yesterday evening: 

E48640B4-7E5D-47F0-92E8-ABE5D2346586.jpeg

The one on the right is the square one from Wednesday, reworked. The one on the left is still in-progress. 

5 minutes ago, Goods said:

have you considered forge brazing

Among other options.

As a point of interest, whether or not they are watertight is a lesser concern at present. Some of this exercise is simply playing around, but the long-term goal is coming up with some new yarn bowl designs. With my wife opening up her own yarn store, I have to come up with some bowls that are different from the ones I sell to another store about fifteen miles away.

2 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

I've seen a variation of the one on the left as an oil lamp

The same thought occurred to me. That actually gives me another idea....

Here's a froe that's mostly finished. Its made from truck leaf spring, probably 3/8" x 3" thick. I left the eye unwelded, it's pretty hefty. I just have a side blast into a trench in a fire pit, and used wood chunks and a bit of lump charcoal that threw a lot of sparks. This forge struggles to get things really up to temp. I worked a while on tapering the blade, but seemed to hit a point of diminishing returns, where the blade bows with the pounding, so you have to pound it straight. That was hard to keep it all lined up on the 60 lb Fischer Norris anvil. Finally I got my wife to hold the other end still with tongs and that helped. So while pounding to straighten it, its also making the edge you want skinny, wider again. Anyway, I flattened it out and let it cool slowly, and finished it with a lot of grinding and filing. It may still benefit from more taper. The handle is elm, because that's what is readily available around here. Fun project, good learning experience, and a useful tool for general homestead use and traditional woodworking.

DSCN6861.thumb.JPG.f9ede9a603848c8b161328037842e85c.JPG

1 hour ago, JHCC said:

With my wife opening up her own yarn store

JHCC, let us know when she gets it open. My mom may want to make a trip to her store. She is mostly a quilter but her and my aunt travel all around to stores that sell stuff like yarn, fabric, thread, etc. And i mean all around, it is nothing for them to plan trip across 2 or 3 states just to go and look. 

Edit: forgot to also say lets us know what the store will be called.

1 hour ago, BillyBones said:

lets us know what the store will be called.

It's called "For Ewe", and will probably open in May. She's got a couple of "yarn tasting" events that will be held in other locations before that; one here in town, and the other about half an hour away.

The display racks for the store are arriving on Monday, so I'll be working on installation in the evenings for the next couple of weeks. (Getting that forging in now, while I can!) Then we have to get the stock in, set up the rest of the space, hook up the credit card machine, etc, etc, etc.

I'll send you the website link in a private message.

Nice projects everyone.

I've been working on several different oprojects this week, trying to get ready for our club's conference next month. I'll be busy on other things and won't have much time in the forge between now and the conference.

Made forge stands for the club's two gas forges, I'll paint them after using them a few times in case I have to make changes. The supports fold against the sides when not in use and will also work for the side door on the three burner forge. 

IMG_1164.jpg.b176e7c812dcc5a53c3f2cabc36a2800.jpg

Made a rake, with my first twisted handle, to pull material to the front of the gas forges

IMG_1171.jpg.98076a760a9526234213d0b10393811e.jpg

Made a set of knee tongs

IMG_1172.jpg.e1ee3e68513f8bc765d87c13421adad5.jpg

IMG_1173.jpg.eac875069de5964efac49aefb53f76ea.jpg

and made a full size tomahawk to go with the mousehawk I made earlier

IMG_1176.jpg.8a2fa9482ecbe0a6b32ce43f299af597.jpg

Currently taking a break while waiting on my order of leather to arrive so I can make the sheaths for the tomahawks

Thomas, they make very little of their own ice cream any more. Back a few years ago a couple got unpasteurized milk and gave it to their infant child. The child got sick of course and they sued Youngs over it. After that Youngs quit making any of their own ice cream, cheese, and no longer process the milk. If you get a cone or a shake from  the counter that is still made there but what they sell by the gallon, pint or what ever is made by Reiter. 

Black raspberry ice cream on top of a brownie covered in hot fudge. Like pecan pie, makes my teeth hurt thinking about it but oh so good. 

I remember when i was younger that there used to be several dairies in the area that you could get fresh dairy products from. Alas, like the orchards, they are almost all gone now. I miss the orchards also. Apples that were oh so tasty and the honey, oh man... honey in the grocery store has a bitter after taste where as from an orchard is was just sweet pleasure. Nectar of the gods.  You can also actually taste the difference in the honey from the different flowers that the bees made the honey from. 

I advised some of the older scouts and their guides today on doing some aluminium casting, making sure it will work and emphasizing the safety aspect. We dried some dirt over the campfire to pour the aluminium in, and I welded up a steel crucible to melt the aluminium in. Some guys dug a hole and with a hair dryer and some charcoal we did a few pours, nothing really worked well, but they found the flaws in their designs and in a few weeks they will try again.

IMG_20220212_162527.thumb.jpg.fc8bad102c9fcf7f090d8ff72703abf8.jpg

Very fun day! My own group did some runs on an obstacle course we worked on the past week.

~Jobtiel